Smoking on balconies.

FredGold

1st anyone can write anything on the internet.

2nd if you are to lazy to post I am too lazy to go read minutia.

3rd Having worded in the tobacco industry and knowing 1st hand the dangers of liquid nicotine, I know for a fact that it is FAR more dangerous than ingesting nicotine via inhaling tobacco smoke. We were required by the feds to do the research.

I linked to a lengthy article on the National Health Service website in UK about vaping and how it reduces the damage done by smoking and how it helps many smokers to quit (BTW the definition of minutia is not 'contrary to my point of view').

3rd Having worded in the tobacco industry and knowing 1st hand the dangers of liquid nicotine, I know for a fact that it is FAR more dangerous than ingesting nicotine via inhaling tobacco smoke. We were required by the feds to do the research.

What did you do for the tobacco industry??

You're a guest on someone else's near billion dollar ship. Even though you have spent a few hundred/a few thousand dollars per person for a week or so, you should still follow the ship's smoking/vaping policy. It doesn't matter which is worse or better. Vaping and smoking are treated the same by NCL on their ship.

You’re absolutely right. I should.

Yep, we favor prohibition over harm reduction. It's stupid, because prohibition always kills people. You have to follow the science, not the activists. I'm not a smoker or a vaper, but the UK's research changed my mind absolutely about vaping, as did the documentary "A Billion Lives" (produced by a non-smoker and non-vaper).

You switching from smoking to vaping reduced your exposure at least 95%. As much as a stranger can be, I'm very happy for you. I am ecstatic about my brother, who quit a 30 year smoking habit and only vapes now, and is much healthier.

Thank you. I’m happy for any/every one who has been able to quit, either through vaping or patches or gum or no crutch at all.

I think it probably is harmful but not nearly as much as smoking (I don't think nicotine in any form is good for your heart) and I would not care if you were my neighbor and vaped on your balcony.

Vaping is very popular here in Washington but I don't think everyone is doing it for a nicotine fix :) .

And if you were my neighbor and asked me to stop, I would.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an ex smoker. When I was a smoker, I was still very considerate of non-smokers and if I knew there was a chance that someone who did not smoke was trying to enjoy their vacation by keeping their balcony door open to let the nice sea breeze into their room next door, i certainly would respect that and not ruin it for them.

Even when I was a smoker I hated the smell of it getting into my home. I would make sure my windows were closed when I was outside smoking. My husband is still a smoker and he does the same. When we go on a cruise, he goes to the designated smoking area to smoke his cigerate before we go to bed and when we wake up in the morning, he goes to the designated area before we go to breakfast. It may be nice to go out on your balcony and smoke, but think about others and be considerate.

As expected, on our cruise this past week our neighbor smoked both cigarettes and pot. It never fails. :rolleyes: When I flipped a hissy when my cabin filled with weed stank they retreated to theirs.

Did they stop for the entire cruise?

Did they stop for the entire cruise?

It was intermittent. It was like an unspoken pact...if I am on the balcony don't be there smoking. When I had the door open to enjoy the breeze and the cabin filled with weed stank, I guess because they did not think I was on the balcony it was an all clear. I doubt they knew my door was open.

I just cannot stand the smell of week. I effing cannot stand it. And I dropped multiple f bombs shut the door and hoped the cabin would ventilate quickly. It did soon enough and when I opened the door again it was as though nothing had ever happened. It's like condo life on a ship. This smoking stuff happens, but weed I just can't stand it.

Around here, quite a few (most?) vapers smoke that scented stuff. There are a LOT of scents apparently, and many of them are NOT good. At least it does seem to dissipate a lot more quickly than regular cigarette smoke. It's not instant though. I guess I wouldn't be quite as annoyed if it were a scent I liked, but I keep running into people who smoke odd scents that I can't place, which just makes me notice it more.

It's not just the adjoining cabins.

On a recent cruise there was someone 2 cabins down that smoked, and it still stank. With the wind patterns when the ship is at sea, it pretty much shunts the smoke directly down the entire row of cabins.

I like sleeping with the door open too, and more than once I was woken up by the stink of cigarettes, but it wasn't from the cabin immediately to my left or right.

I noticed NCL stopped making an explicit point of mentioning during the muster drill that smoking isn't permitted on balconies. They really could make a much greater effort here. Put a placard in the rooms with "SMOKING NOT PERMITTED ON BALCONIES" in huge letters, and make a point of saying it loud and clear during the muster drill.

On a recent cruise there was someone 2 cabins down that smoked, and it still stank. With the wind patterns when the ship is at sea, it pretty much shunts the smoke directly down the entire row of cabins.

I like sleeping with the door open too, and more than once I was woken up by the stink of cigarettes, but it wasn't from the cabin immediately to my left or right.

I noticed NCL stopped making an explicit point of mentioning during the muster drill that smoking isn't permitted on balconies. They really could make a much greater effort here. Put a placard in the rooms with "SMOKING NOT PERMITTED ON BALCONIES" in huge letters, and make a point of saying it loud and clear during the muster drill.

Handle the same way it is handle on Aircraft, if the person is found to be smoking cancel the balance of the cruise and have them arrested and held at the next port. 100% guarantee it would take only a couple of cases of enforcement.

Or the Captain as Master of the ship could have them walk the plank over the side and solve the problem. Both choices would seem to work here. :D

I agree that a greater mention of the topic is called for by the cruise staff. I think its the right thing to do. I really like your idea of the placards.

Around here, quite a few (most?) vapers smoke that scented stuff. There are a LOT of scents apparently, and many of them are NOT good. At least it does seem to dissipate a lot more quickly than regular cigarette smoke. It's not instant though. I guess I wouldn't be quite as annoyed if it were a scent I liked, but I keep running into people who smoke odd scents that I can't place, which just makes me notice it more.

There are also vapers who desire / work for huge clouds of vapor, which is also annoying. They usually have "box mods" that are larger box like batteries with special coils that heat the "juice" a bit hotter.

When they want to be stealthy they can be. People vape everywhere with smaller ecigs and little vapor and no one notices. No recognizable smell and no clouds of vapor. I didn't notice them until a family member told me they took regular "hits" on airplanes, in hotel lobbies, in grocery stores, etc. Now I do notice them.

i know it is no longer allowed. Do people still do it. What happens if caught? Do they give a warning, or straight to a fine.

So... what you mean to say is, "I don't really care what the rules are, so when I break them, and annoy/irritate/make my neighbors balcony's unusable because I am selfish, will NCL kick me off the ship or just charge me a room cleaning fee?"

You choose to smoke. You can choose not to be a jerk and inconvenience and upset others because you have a disgusting habit.

What did you do in the tobacco industry?

The point is that there is no smoking of any kind permitted in cabins or balconies. Passengers can be removed from the ship for this (as is done on NCL's sister companies Oceania and Regent). If the President of NCL is permitting this, perhaps the CEO should be advised of smoking on balconies. I am trying to wrap my head around this abuse as it is unacceptable - no matter what you think of smoking or e-cigarettes.