Sharing Unlimited Internet

duma0026

My husband and I are going on a family cruise on Celebrity Equinox in March. We're leaving our 2 children behind for the first time and am a bit nervous. :o I'd like to be able to FaceTime or call my parents (who will be watching them) as frequently as need be.

Therein lies my question - if we're cruising with other family members that are also leaving children behind, if we purchase 1 Unlimited Internet package on the ship, will we be able to split the cost between a few couples and just be sure we aren't using the package at the same time?

Thank you!

Yes, you can do that. When one logs off, anyone else can log on.

If you try to log on while someone else is using the account, it will tell you that the account is in use and ask if you want to disconnect the other person so you can log on.

Or it will ask you if you want to purchase another package, so make sure to read the messages carefully.

We have had success using Google Hangouts to video call our son. Sometimes the reception is dicey but we usually can connect with no problem

I was told only one device. In fact, she said: “you can share a device”. I thought that was odd. Does that just mean one device at a time, but not only one device can connect?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Banana15
Spelling

I was told only one device. In fact, she said: “you can share a device”. I thought that was odd. Does that just mean one device at a time, but not only one device can connect?

Definitely can use multiple devices.....just one at a time. As previous posters mentioned, logging on a second device will just bump the other device off.

No just one at a time. Before we both got unlimited internet as a perk we used to pay for it (with the discount from our elite+ perk) and I would use it a few minutes after DH (who must have internet or we can't cruise - he runs a business) was done. Sometimes I logged in on my iPad, sometimes on my iPhone. We just couldn't be on it at the same time. It's just a log-in, not limited to a particular device.

My husband and I are going on a family cruise on Celebrity Equinox in March. We're leaving our 2 children behind for the first time and am a bit nervous. :o I'd like to be able to FaceTime or call my parents (who will be watching them) as frequently as need be.

Therein lies my question - if we're cruising with other family members that are also leaving children behind, if we purchase 1 Unlimited Internet package on the ship, will we be able to split the cost between a few couples and just be sure we aren't using the package at the same time?

Thank you!

We did this on Celebrity last year and it was quite easy. We split with friends and just split every hour in half: first 30 minutes we could sign in, second 30 minutes was the other cabins. 24 hours a day. It worked perfectly AND gets you off the phone 50% of the time. We paid our portion cash to the other guy because he had a better rate.

What info is required when getting on-line ... cabin # & PW, user name & PW, all 3, or other? Anything special that needs to be done when initially logging in, like having to go to the iLounge?

Thanks ... BZ

Just the typical User & Password combo as set up by the person billing the plan to themselves. We found it best to set a signal on our phones to remind us to sign off.

That is technically correct - You can have as many devices as you like but ONLY one can be used at a time. Very easy to switch between users.

I'm wondering if on Edge they plan to allow at least 2 devices to use a package at the same time, given that it is supposed to be a technically advanced ship. Given their IT department and previous spotty service I'm finding the technology they are toting on Edge to be extremely ambitious.

The current restriction is a marketing limitation, not a technical issue.

Then if you pay for an unlimited package what's the difference? I get not allowing more than 2 devices, but one at a time is pretty dumb.

Simple. People who want 2 devices on constantly must pay for a second unlimited package. At the prices they charge, just a handful of people doing this would bring in lots of extra money.

Honestly - we just wait until we get to port, then while in port we do our tourist stuff, stop at a cafe to rest and use wifi to call home, check email, etc. If the cruise is international, some carriers have international plans that are much cheaper than the ship wifi although again, you will have to wait until you are in port to use it but if you just want to check in to be sure everyone is safe, it would work.

I’m amazed that anyone uses it at the price they charge . I was on msc divina from Miami this time last year and their top package only costs $59 dollars

I am NOT fond of paying $300 for internet. This is the first cruise we are taking with 2 straight at sea days though (two times), and our son is alone with my father-in-law, so I am too paranoid to not have a way to contact us in an emergency.

It really is crummy that it's so expensive though.

I am NOT fond of paying $300 for internet. This is the first cruise we are taking with 2 straight at sea days though (two times), and our son is alone with my father-in-law, so I am too paranoid to not have a way to contact us in an emergency.

It really is crummy that it's so expensive though.

You don't need to get an internet package, as your son can contact you on the ship in an emergency:

Celebrity Cruises

How do I contact a passenger directly on Celebrity Cruises?

Celebrity Cruises friends or family can reach you 24 hours a day via Celebrity’s Satellite Service. Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (877) 266-1020. From outside the U.S., they can call (732) 335-3296.

The cost is $7.95 USD a minute and can be charged to American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, Discover® or Diners Club®. From outside the U.S. additional long distance charges will also apply. Calls are limited to 10 minutes.

Callers must have the ship name and the person they wish to contact. When connected, enter the number for the ship you wish to reach, followed by the pound sign:

Celebrity Century: 1#

Celebrity Constellation: 2#

Celebrity Eclipse: 3#

Celebrity Equinox: 4#

Celebrity Infinity: 5#

Celebrity Millennium: 6#

Celebrity Reflection: 7#

Celebrity Silhouette: 8#

Celebrity Solstice: 9#

Celebrity Summit: 10#

Still not cheap, but as your son probably will have no need to call, it's a better option than the internet package that you'll pay for whether or not he needs to contact you.