Dress Code - Either Enforce it of Forget It

Djptcp

To those opposed to a dress code I will say this. Perhaps Carnival will associate their food offerings to match their clientele and how they dress. I mean, if people want to continue to look like slobs in the MDR in their cut-off jeans and Harley Davidson t-shirts with no guilt then Carnival will continue to slowly match their food to the people they serve. Carnival will figure that the trailer trash coming to the MDR will be ok with inferior basic foods, trash won't mind. If people dressed up a little and kept some class in the MDR than Carnival won't be so quick to serve a hot dog on a stick and some tater tots to the person in a dress shirt and tie sitting before them. "Classier", if I can use that term, people are going to demand a little more respect and better product by Carnival. If I were a waiter and I had to serve your table and you looked like a disrespectful slob I'd feel no guilt putting a can of Spaghetti-O's in front of you. People's lack of caring what they look/dress like leads to a lower quality product provided to you eventually.

So you equate the foods people eat with the way they dress. WOW!

Exactly, it's just a couple of hours, so if someone doesn't participate, no one else should get wound up about it. It's a lot of extra luggage for me to bring formal wear just to put it on for dinner and take it off right after. And it isn't required. It's just a guideline to understand their terminology. Do you really think people do it because they believe it is a requirement? Only two things are required the entire cruise; muster drill, and get off the ship the last morning.

There's NOTHING special anymore. Carnival cut out ALL the special theming and offerings of formal or elegant nights. It's all gone. Okay, on elegant night they put a tablecloth on. That's hardly a high bar! It maybe used to be special, but it sure isn't anymore.

Who said you had to wear "formal wear"?

The problem is people showing up to elegant evening in shorts and flip flops, not that they aren't wearing a tux!

While I bring a suit, I really don't expect everyone to dress up like that.

But at least following the basic rule of no jeans, no flip flops shouldn't be too hard on luggage space?

And that is a "requirement". That's what NOT PERMITTED means.

If you are going to say that it really shouldn't mean anything, then what other "NOT PERMITTED" things are we going to decide are just "guidelines"?

You are definitely right about Carnival cutting back on the MDR and even on formal nights.

So why bother having the dress code then?

As I said, either enforce it or get rid of it (like the table cloths, special decor, etc.)

To those opposed to a dress code I will say this. Perhaps Carnival will associate their food offerings to match their clientele and how they dress. I mean, if people want to continue to look like slobs in the MDR in their cut-off jeans and Harley Davidson t-shirts with no guilt then Carnival will continue to slowly match their food to the people they serve. Carnival will figure that the trailer trash coming to the MDR will be ok with inferior basic foods, trash won't mind. If people dressed up a little and kept some class in the MDR than Carnival won't be so quick to serve a hot dog on a stick and some tater tots to the person in a dress shirt and tie sitting before them. "Classier", if I can use that term, people are going to demand a little more respect and better product by Carnival. If I were a waiter and I had to serve your table and you looked like a disrespectful slob I'd feel no guilt putting a can of Spaghetti-O's in front of you. People's lack of caring what they look/dress like leads to a lower quality product provided to you eventually.
The MDR food is already Golden Corral quality. So I have no problem with people dressing as if the are at a GC!!! WE ONLY SAIL CARNIVAL BECAUSE OF THE COST SO DON'T REALLY CARE WHAT PEOPLE WEAR!!!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The companies lack of effort leads to people caring less about participating. No lobster. No more beef wellington. No more gala midnight buffet on 98% of the cruises. Wait staff that stops midservice to dance on stripper podiums. No more MDR lunch. No more dedicated bar service in MDR. Now they charge for decent tea at tea time.

But Carnival has everyone convinced that everyone else is demanding cheaper and cheaper cruises with more cutbacks. I'd rather pay 5% 10% more and have a much more inclusive base experience (higher quality offerings included w cruise fare). Provide refined, efficient but unhurried service, good food, dispense with the trashy floor show, and I'll throw on my slacks and jacket that the Utah guy is going to buy for me.

Yes, much of this is true. However, I feel that the people that dress like slobs in the MDR, looking like they are going to a beach BBQ, have always dressed this way and not from the top down. If you'd rather pay the 10% more or so for better food without all the gimmicks then it's time to move up a bit to Holland, Celebrity or Princess. I only sail Carnival once in a while because I have 8 and 10 year old daughters with me now. I've done expensive cruises on Holland and Princess to Egypt and Russia and cheap one's on Carnival and to say the quality of food, service, and clientele were just A LITTLE bit different would be an understatement. You can't go into a courtroom in a wifebeater and tennis shoes demanding respect from the court just like you can't go into a MDR on a cruise in your 1998 Harley Davidson shirt and stained cut offs thinking that they'll continue to throw lobsters down at you forever .....

How many cruise lines have strict formal night policies now?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sure you could count them on one hand with room to spare. I'll leave myself an out that there may be some boutique or ultra-expensive luxury lines I am not familiar with.

Yes, much of this is true. However, I feel that the people that dress like slobs in the MDR, looking like they are going to a beach BBQ, have always dressed this way and not from the top down. If you'd rather pay the 10% more or so for better food without all the gimmicks then it's time to move up a bit to Holland, Celebrity or Princess. I only sail Carnival once in a while because I have 8 and 10 year old daughters with me now. I've done expensive cruises on Holland and Princess to Egypt and Russia and cheap one's on Carnival and to say the quality of food, service, and clientele were just A LITTLE bit different would be an understatement. You can't go into a courtroom in a wifebeater and tennis shoes demanding respect from the court just like you can't go into a MDR on a cruise in your 1998 Harley Davidson shirt and stained cut offs thinking that they'll continue to throw lobsters down at you forever .....

Why do you think I own any of that or dress like that, ever, anywhere, at any point in my life?? :confused:

Find me a HAL or Princess cruise that is 10% more and I'll book it.

The MDR food is already Golden Corral quality. So I have no problem with people dressing as if the are at a GC!!! WE ONLY SAIL CARNIVAL BECAUSE OF THE COST SO DON'T REALLY CARE WHAT PEOPLE WEAR!!!

We feel the same way!

BTW we always book your time dining, cause we don't plan dinner first, it is something we do when we are hungry between 5:45 and 9:30, and we always request a table for 2!

BTW far worse then dress is the obnoxious amounts of perfume some wear to the MDR! Now that should be regulated BEFORE dress!;p

We feel the same way!

BTW we always book your time dining, cause we don't plan dinner first, it is something we do when we are hungry between 5:45 and 9:30, and we always request a table for 2!

BTW far worse then dress is the obnoxious amounts of perfume some wear to the MDR! Now that should be regulated BEFORE dress!;p

Agree I am very sensitive to a lot of perfumes so dinning next to someone who toon a bath in it is more an issue for me than what they are wearing!!!

Wow, when I started this thread I didn't expect so many responses. Let me say that observing passengers dressing like slobs in the MDR and Carnival ignoring their own guidelines have not in any way ruined our dinners or cruises. If they did, DH and I certainly wouldn't be about to take our 33rd cruise on Carnival and our 45th cruise total! We are seniors in our 60's who grew up in a society where rules were respected. Lack of respect is rampant in our culture and it's a sad commentary.

Agree I am very sensitive to a lot of perfumes so dinning next to someone who toon a bath in it is more an issue for me than what they are wearing!!!

lololololol, if they eat next to us, I'll start sneezing, and they will quickly finish their meals!;p

dh and i have been taking cruises since 1994 and have watched the dress codes lessen as society craved less formal options. I understand that people who have to fly to cruise ports have to pay for luggage or extra luggage and more formal clothes take up a lot of luggage space. However, after 44 cruises and 31 on carnival, the dress code for elegant nights is pretty straightforward, but passengers still wear baseball caps and jeans with holes in them, women wearing short shorts, let alone t-shirts with offensive sayings on them. They are still allowed in the mdr on elegant nights. Is that what people really wear to restaurants that cater to elegant dining? Why even have a dress code if it is continually ignored? I just don't get it.

right on !!!

Wow, when I started this thread I didn't expect so many responses. Let me say that observing passengers dressing like slobs in the MDR and Carnival ignoring their own guidelines have not in any way ruined our dinners or cruises. If they did, DH and I certainly wouldn't be about to take our 33rd cruise on Carnival and our 45th cruise total! We are seniors in our 60's who grew up in a society where rules were respected. Lack of respect is rampant in our culture and it's a sad commentary.
Well most ships have two dinning rooms so maybe a solution is to have one where dress code is strictly and the other not so much . Anyone want to guess which one will be full!!!!!

I'm sure you could count them on one hand with room to spare. I'll leave myself an out that there may be some boutique or ultra-expensive luxury lines I am not familiar with.

For the record, we are cruising Azamara in August and they do not have any formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're in our 60's/seniors and we don't remember those days the same,,,Commie scares/lies, civil rights protests, war protests, National Guard killing kids on college campuses, etc.! I guess we see it differently! :confused:

Food aside because it is so subjective, have you tried NCL with their perks. Getting 3 Specialty Dining and Drinks included in price makes it worth it.

Sailing Carnival in May so will witness "just how bad it is" as some suggest.

I'm guessing I won't starve, will find things that are "eatible" and be able to roll with what happens.

Food aside because it is so subjective, have you tried NCL with their perks. Getting 3 Specialty Dining and Drinks included in price makes it worth it.

I'm guessing I won't starve, will find things that are "eatible" and be able to roll with what happens.

Free all you can drink pkges. on NCL, now what could go wrong with that,,,,,?;p

I don t think Carnival is any worse that Royal Caribbean. I also don't let it affect how I enjoy my meal but it definitely is lack of respect for cruisers that adhere to the rules in the MDR and specialty restaurants. We were in one specialty restaurant on The Allure and everyone was dressed properly except for one table with 6 family members that were in shorts, 2 wore wife beater shirts, and the women were in pool or beach attire. They shouldn't have been allowed in acco riding to Royal's dress code.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Food Is edible lol. Just not I would call fine dinning and yes food taste are very subjective. I am a steak lover and have never had a steak on a cruise that I would say was great even on Disney so I would never pay extra to have one in there steak houses!!!

In my honest opinion, after sailing Carnival, RCCL, and NCL, I found the food quality and complimentary and specialty choices are far superior on NCL. But I’m not a cruise snob. I find good things on all my cruises. I have the Carnival Breeze booked for my next cruise in March 2019, but thinking of a Royal ship for my 50th Anniversary cruise in March 2020, because there will be about 28 of us, and the WOW factor is best on RCCL.

Have not cruised Carnival in 6 years but will do so in May.

Seriously, what people wear had absolutely nothing to do with my decision to not sail with them the past 6 years or why I am sailing with them in May.

My preference is that people dress according to the guidelines but it is not my place to worry about it. I will follow them as it IMO is part of the experience for us. Some feel differently, good for them, just please don't be a complete mess with semi wet trunks and flip flops and a tanktop. That is buffet wear and I have met cruisers who do just that and had a great time with them during the cruise even if we did not have dinner with them except 1 night . . . in the buffet.

And yea come later on, if somebody was a trainwreck in the MDR, if somebody looked amazing in the MDR, etc. it will likely get briefly mentioned about in my circle as we all people watch. Deal with it . . . and feel free to talk about us as well.

Live life.

And anybody who puts dress code over cabin size, ship, itinerary, food quality, perks, service, activities, kids club, loyality program, home port and price . . . need to have their priorities checked. I guess there may be some crazy universe where all those above end in a tie and dress code is the tiebreaker but it never has come down to that for us.

Food Is edible lol. Just not I would call fine dinning and yes food taste are very subjective. I am a steak lover and have never had a steak on a cruise that I would say was great even on Disney so I would never pay extra to have one in there steak houses!!!

Highly recommend doing a steakhouse during the cruise at least once .. . especially for a special occassion.

The price for 2 is around a third of the cost of a top steakhouse on land . . . and I must say the steak and food on the ship's steakhouse has been just as good, if not better, than the land based ones, with an ambiance to match.

Wow..this is the same old tired stale boring topic that has been beaten to death more times than any horse. I have failed to read all but a handful of the responses, but those few were typical and expected.

Get with it people..especially you long time cruisers..times have changed and Carnival is the budget (dare I was Walmart) cruise line. You get what you pay for...including the clientele. Don't expect anything more. If you don't like it, no need to get all anonymously self righteous at your keyboard...just head to the Windstar or SilverSeas website to book your next cruise (but I am sure you will have thousands of reasons not too.....just saying) and delete this site from your favorites and get on with life.

Now..time to head to that thread about Carnival doing away with pillow chocolates and tablecloths. Ugh.

Well most ships have two dinning rooms so maybe a solution is to have one where dress code is strictly and the other not so much . Anyone want to guess which one will be full!!!!!

They already do!

The one with the dress code has waiters that serve you at a table.

The one with the "not so much" enforced dress code you go through a line to get your own food and seat yourself....

;p

Seriously, though, the only problem with your suggestion is what we are talking about, whether they would actually enforce the dress code for the "stricter" dining room or not.

The companies lack of effort leads to people caring less about participating. No lobster. No more beef wellington. No more gala midnight buffet on 98% of the cruises. Wait staff that stops midservice to dance on stripper podiums. No more MDR lunch. No more dedicated bar service in MDR. Now they charge for decent tea at tea time.

So while I watch my ravioli or prime rib get cold so I can watch my waiter grind it out to Apple Bottom Jeans I must do so in a suit so I can be a background player in someones fantasy? People say they have no opportunity to dress nicely except for elegant night on a cruise. WRONG! You can choose to dress elegantly any night of your life. You can do it every night of your cruise. Why do people need a newsletter to control them?

But Carnival has everyone convinced that everyone else is demanding cheaper and cheaper cruises with more cutbacks. I'd rather pay 5% 10% more and have a much more inclusive base experience (higher quality offerings included w cruise fare). Provide refined, efficient but unhurried service, good food, dispense with the trashy floor show, and I'll throw on my slacks and jacket that the Utah guy is going to buy for me.

Here, here!