What's 'European' on MSC?

drrich2

Hi:

I'm a late 40's married man with a wife and an active, strong-willed preschooler and we mainly cruise with Royal Caribbean. We're 'Emerald' level in the loyalty program, and when I consider something different, 2 lines 'status match' - Celebrity (a RCI holding; we've done 1 cruise with them) and MSC, which I've seen positive reviews of and it seems to have some rep. for cost-conscious value cruising while retaining a good experience.

So I got curious and did a some digging in this forum section, and ran across threads on whether, how & how much, and how desirable the 'Americanization of the MSC experience' on Seaside has gone. Saw some criticism against people supposedly cruising MSC expecting a copy of Carnival, NCL or such, and disappointed then it didn't meet their expectations. It's a 'European' line.

So I thought 'What is European?' What, specifically, does that mean on an MSC cruise? Many of us have never been to Europe. I enjoy Googling 'America vs.' topics to read about how U.S. culture differs from Canadian/British/<fill in the blank>, but some of what I saw in the threads I haven't seen before.

Bathtubs with no shower curtain & what looks like half the glass door missing? Someone motioned Italian culture values opera and classical music, so that's more prevalent, and long, leisurely dining, so perhaps there's less emphasis on a good, diverse buffet vs. more 'Americanized' lines?

I hope I understood correctly and didn't misrepresent anyone's ideas. No cruise company, MSC included, is likely to have a 'Things You May Not Like About Our Product' page highlighting what competitors may do more to your liking.

So, aiming for a non-judgmental focused discussion (not how adequate their staffing is, whether they misrepresented their 'Americanization' to U.S. cruisers, etc...) about what is different about an MSC cruise due to this 'European' thing?

If you were going to make a list for a Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean cruiser based out of the U.S. with no prior European exposure, what would you tell/warn them about?

Richard.

P.S.: This isn't about who's better. This is about informed consumers.

Wow, over 100 views but no replies. I’ll take a stab at this considering no one else has.

Background- I’ve take 6 cruises in the last two years. Two on ncl, two on rcl, and two on MSc (one yc and one fantastica). My comparisons will be based only on these 6 cruises.

Firstly, I think you bring up an interesting topic. So many people claim that the differences are because

MSc is “European”. I suggest that while some differences may be related to culture, the bulk of differences is because MSC is a low cost cruise line.

Let me outline some of the differences that I feel are worth noting. Some will see these as positive differences, some will see these as negative differences, some will view as cost cutting measures which matter, others cost cutting measures that have zero effect.

1) Entertainment- MSc is void of any headliner acts, nor does it offer broadway scripts. Also, they will use the same performers every night rather than different cast members that are show dependent. MSc shows run 30 minutes. There are fewer comedian acts on MSc. There are no theme music venues on MSc. The pianist on MSc will likely play relaxing background music. A piano bar on ncl/rcl will be sing a long.

2) Nightlife- while sailing dependent, MSc tends to have a more passive nightlife scene. No howl at the moon, Comedy Central, or tribute bands. Much tamer music offerings in a much more reserved setting. Also, the evening entertainment that involves guest participation,like quest, is entirely lost on multiple languages. By time the Spanish team got the Teleprompter to flash in Spanish, the English team already completed the challenge. On MSc you are likely to find the bars less crowded at midnight.

3) Activities- again, much tamer in MSC. There really isn’t much for the adrenaline junkie (no vertical slides, flow rider or ifly, etc...). This isn’t relevant unless you are cruising with active people. The “craft” on ncl was a painting class (cost extra). The craft on MSc involved construction paper and glue.

4) Food quality- while food is largely subjective, MSc does not offer the choices offered by other lines and what they do offer is of lower quality (especially meats). That statement itself was subjective, but i encourage you to compare actual menus. What is not subjective is that You are more likely to find meatloaf vs prime rib served on the buffet. Breakfast and lunch offerings seemed very much on par to me.

Service- this may be the most cultural difference found. Service on MSc can be considered aloof. It’s not that i would consider service rude by any stretch, but the processes aren’t necessarily stream lined and the customer is not always right. You will likely need to wave down your server for a specific request and be prepared to be told that it is “not possible”. Example- it was not possible for me to have a pizza with mushrooms and onions delivered to my room (while in YC I might add). It was possible on ncl and rcl.

I’m sure I have opened myself up to more criticism, but that’s ok because I welcome differences in opinions. I hope I have helped to describe some of the differences objectively, or at least as objectively as possible given this is all just my opinion.

In closing, there is a time and place when MSc is a great choice. For me personally, MSc is not the right choice for an active cruise. It is a good choice when I’m looking to unwind. It is not a good choice when I am looking for to celebrate something special (quality), it is a good choice when I’m looking for a good value vacation. Neither choice is better than another, it all boils down to expectations aligning with experience.

I hope that helps :)

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Background : I am 39, a Russian-Jewish, New York transplant to South Florida.When we eat out, we avoid chains like Olive Garden, Outback and Applebee, in favor of local places that serve Italian, Greek, Thai, Indian or Chinese. I love to travel and been all over Europe when i was in college. We went on a dozen cruises over the years, last two with our 2 kids (7 and 5 ). Our previous cruise was a year ago on Allure of the Seas. (boardwalk balcony) We primarily cruise because kids have fun at the kids club, while we have a chance to have some time to ourselves. Since we been in the Caribbean many times before and live in South Florida, we don't have the need/urge to get off the ship much on shore days. We just lounge by the pool and read.

Most Americans have certain expectations when booking a cruise.Food plays a big part in it. We are a gluttonous bunch and expect quality, lotsof variety and quantity. Freedom loving, classless society, we hate an idea ofbeing told when to eat and the idea that someone is using one restaurant whileyou have to eat at this one outrages many. One of the reason NCL and RCCL is asuccess is huge buffets and freedom in dining.

MCS claims that its trying adapt for an American market. IMHO it's failing todo so. In practice you have 1st class passengers in the yacht club. Businessclass passengers in Aurea cabins. Premium Economy class- Fantastica and BasicEconomy in Bella. Most people who book have no idea of these distinctions.

If you want a free diner and don't want to spend close to twohours in the main dining room, your only choice is small buffet on 16 or roomservice. If you are willing to pay your option open up a bit. For lots ofcruisers used to myriad of choices of RCCL and the like the result isbewilderment and disappointment.

Some other points we about enteritenment were covered by Bermuda above

For us it was a good cruise and kids loved it. We booked again in Aurea hottub balcony for November.

Hi:

I'm a late 40's married man with a wife and an active, strong-willed preschooler and we mainly cruise with Royal Caribbean. We're 'Emerald' level in the loyalty program, and when I consider something different, 2 lines 'status match' - Celebrity (a RCI holding; we've done 1 cruise with them) and MSC, which I've seen positive reviews of and it seems to have some rep. for cost-conscious value cruising while retaining a good experience.

So I got curious and did a some digging in this forum section, and ran across threads on whether, how & how much, and how desirable the 'Americanization of the MSC experience' on Seaside has gone. Saw some criticism against people supposedly cruising MSC expecting a copy of Carnival, NCL or such, and disappointed then it didn't meet their expectations. It's a 'European' line.

So I thought 'What is European?' What, specifically, does that mean on an MSC cruise? Many of us have never been to Europe. I enjoy Googling 'America vs.' topics to read about how U.S. culture differs from Canadian/British/<fill in the blank>, but some of what I saw in the threads I haven't seen before.

Bathtubs with no shower curtain & what looks like half the glass door missing? Someone motioned Italian culture values opera and classical music, so that's more prevalent, and long, leisurely dining, so perhaps there's less emphasis on a good, diverse buffet vs. more 'Americanized' lines?

I hope I understood correctly and didn't misrepresent anyone's ideas. No cruise company, MSC included, is likely to have a 'Things You May Not Like About Our Product' page highlighting what competitors may do more to your liking.

So, aiming for a non-judgmental focused discussion (not how adequate their staffing is, whether they misrepresented their 'Americanization' to U.S. cruisers, etc...) about what is different about an MSC cruise due to this 'European' thing?

If you were going to make a list for a Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean cruiser based out of the U.S. with no prior European exposure, what would you tell/warn them about?

Richard.

P.S.: This isn't about who's better. This is about informed consumers.

I am German but have lived in the US for 1.5 decades. There is no such thing as “European,” at least not in the sense it has been portrayed here.

It’s used in the same sense as “American,” failing to acknowledge that millions of people, no matter their origins, cannot possibly have the same opinion.

Europe consists of many different countries, some of them very different cultures,

Sure, some things can be generalized, there’s truth in stereotypes. Germans do like things in order, for example - me, personally, I am messy and hate cleaning up ;-)

Anyway, what I gather from the blatant stereotyping, generalization, and equalizing of 800 million people, is:

A) Europeans like opera and classical music, Americans don’t.

B) Europeans eat dinner late, Americans don’t.

C) Europeans like to take their time with their meals, Americans don’t.

D) Europeans like modern design, Americans don’t.

E) Europeans don’t give or care for good customer service, Americans do.

F) Europeans speak different languages and accept/provide announcements in several languages; Americans don’t.

G) Europeans use comforter covers without additional flat sheets; Americans apparently have both.

If anyone can think of additional proclaimed differences, please add to the list.

H) Europeans use half glass walls in the bathtub; Americans prefer full length protection.

I) Europeans don’t line up patiently; Americans do.

J) Europeans need very little personal space; Americans do.

*with the acknowledgment that these are gross stereotypes of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all who answered, and I hope we get more. This is just the sort of info. I and many others would need, not just to decide whether to cruise with MSC, but to calibrate our expectations to what we may likely see aboard.

I get that 'Europe' is a huge area with a lot of cultural variety. Funny thing is, while that's true of the U.S. (I've lived in the south my whole life, and most of my childhood in quite a rural setting - can't imagine inner city urban New York is much like that), I've found enough generalizations about 'Americans' ring true for me that I suppose there's value in identifying perceived trends, as long as we allow individuals latitude to buck them.

Richard.

Thanks to all who answered, and I hope we get more. This is just the sort of info. I and many others would need, not just to decide whether to cruise with MSC, but to calibrate our expectations to what we may likely see aboard.

I get that 'Europe' is a huge area with a lot of cultural variety. Funny thing is, while that's true of the U.S. (I've lived in the south my whole life, and most of my childhood in quite a rural setting - can't imagine inner city urban New York is much like that), I've found enough generalizations about 'Americans' ring true for me that I suppose there's value in identifying perceived trends, as long as we allow individuals latitude to buck them.

Richard.

With respect, it’s still not the same!

New Yorkers still have the same general culture (i.e. national identity, history, currency, language, school system, value system etc) as Southerners. Not individually, not regionally but definitely on a broad national level.

Hungarians, Portuguese, Germans, Irish , etc etc etc are very different cultures with hugely different cultural identities, origins, languages, histories, values and norms.

But yes, stereotypes have truth in them but, sorry, not as much as one might think.

We took our first MSC sailing on the Divina out of Miami in 2016. The first thing we noticed was that MSC tries to accommodate multiple nationalities because most cruisers are indeed from several different countries. It’s not like when you sail on American cruise lines from American ports like Royal Caribbean, Carnival or Disney where the vast majority of fellow cruisers are American.

With that in mind, everything, from entertainment to activities to cuisine, seems to be designed to find common denominators that will not exclude any nationality or culture. Verbal comedy is almost non existent simply because it’s hard to do with so many passengers speaking different languages onboard. Stage shows are also mostly non-verbal but they are very entertaining. No piano sing alongs because American favorites probably mean nothing to people from other countries, etc.

Elements that many Americans associate with a Caribbean cruise (think Jimmy Buffet or Bob Marley songs) are replaced with opera singing in the atrium, and recorded music by world renowned European singers like Eros Ramazotti.

Food is designed to appeal to a broad clientele as well, but that means that everything feels somewhat generic and bland. Although we found plenty to eat, nothing stood out or was memorable.

As mentioned above, customer service can feel more aloof to American cruisers used to having someone constantly checking on them. The crew is not on your face, offering assistance or trying to sell you a drink or something else. Assistance is there, but they don’t proactively seek you. If you need something, you need to seek them. But we found that in the most part, if we asked for something, they delivered.

With so many nationalities onboard, cultural clashes will be inevitable and Americans need to understand that theirs is just one of many other cultures onboard. For example, don’t be angered if people don’t queue in a perfect line at the buffet, to tender ashore, or for anything. Also, important announcements are made in up to 7 different languages, and don’t be insulted if English is not the first one.

Differences in modesty is another thing that may raise some American eyebrows. For example, we saw several families undressing their small children and getting them naked right in front of everybody on the pool deck to change their clothes. At the Aurea Spa, it was natural to see people from the opposite sex walk by completely naked as they walked from one side to the other.

Overall, we enjoyed our first MSC cruise enough to book our next cruise aboard MSC again, this time on the Meraviglia in the Mediterranean. But we heard several Americans on our Divina cruise complaining about the way MSC does things, and most of their complaints had to do with the fact that MSC doesn’t cater exclusively to the way Americans like to be entertained and served. Thankfully for them, there are plenty of other cruise lines out there where they can sing along to “Sweet Caroline” or listen to “Margaritaville” by the pool while 5 different waiters push frozen drinks with an umbrella on souvenir glasses, or where they can be bombarded with announcement after announcement from the cruise director advertising $10 sales, gold chains by the inch, or free liquor tastings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MCS claims that its trying adapt for an American market. IMHO it's failing todo so. In practice you have 1st class passengers in the yacht club. Businessclass passengers in Aurea cabins. Premium Economy class- Fantastica and BasicEconomy in Bella. Most people who book have no idea of these distinctions.

Interesting.

We booked the Meraviglia for exactly this reason. We are using it as transportation or a fancy ferry service to go to ports we haven't been to yet to check them out.

We booked an inside bella experience, which had I been willing to pay more would have been a fantastica experience in the same cabin. I chose Bella simply because I knew we would purchase the drink package, and I'm not really concerned with competing for early dinner. I'm quite sure we will get it. That is probably our most American trait. We don't like to dine after 7pm. We don't use room service. And although the yacht club is appealing, not so much for a ferry type cruise. Perhaps in the caribbean, where we would be using the ship more.

We booked the Meraviglia for exactly this reason. We are using it as transportation or a fancy ferry service to go to ports we haven't been to yet to check them out.

We booked an inside bella experience, which had I been willing to pay more would have been a fantastica experience in the same cabin....

When we booked our first MSC cruise, I was going to book a Bella stateroom, but decided to pay a bit extra for Fantástica because the only Bella staterooms available were right above a lounge commonly used late into the evening.

We have now chosen to bump things up further to an Aurea Duplex suite on the Meraviglia, first because we realized that the cost of this type of accommodation would literally be a fraction of what similar accommodations would cost on another cruise line (the equivalent would be a Crown Loft Suite on Royal Caribbean), and second because perks (like access to the Aurea Spa) are things that we thoroughly enjoyed on our previous cruise and will be very happy to enjoy again.

We learned that perks like that one can elevate the onboard experience from just another cruise to a truly memorable one.

In practice you have 1st class passengers in the yacht club. Business class passengers in Aurea cabins. Premium Economy class- Fantastica and Basic Economy in Bella.

Where does Wellness fit into this analogy ?

MSC gives people the choice of the type of cabin they see is for them and what they can afford, many people can afford to book higher experience cabins but choose not to do so for various reasons.

Most people who book have no idea of these distinctions.

The people to blame for this are initially the Travel agents and likely MSC booking agents as well for not advising customers, then the people themselves are to blame for not doing basic homework of checking what they are buying into and making sure that they understand what goes with the Experience they have purchased.

Tapi ... You have provided great info with your post for those who have never set foot outside of North America.

As for queues, that was invented in the UK but like everywhere else there are those who don`t think it applies to them. I have seen people get shouted down for trying to jump a queue.

On Seaside at Xmas we had waited over 20 minutes to speak to the Voyagers club rep late in the evening and were getting close to our dinner time at Butchers Cut, as the people in front of us finished we began to talk to the rep when an American guy decided to try to jump in, having been there waiting patiently for our turn he received both barrels`s from both of us. So you see it is not just those damned foreigners, as we also heard someone say a day later.

Until a few weeks ago our cruising history was with the US-based lines including Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and NCL. We were on the January 20th sailing of Seaside and frankly what we experienced contradicts virtually all of BermudaBound14's comments.

Yes, they use the same production cast for their production shows. None of the other lines we have sailed on change singers or dancers throughout the week. Due to the prevalence of multiple languages being spoken on board entertainment is going to be more visual. Shows on Seaside emphasized music, acrobatics and cirque-type performers. While most of the singing was in English, not all of it was. We found the talent and quality of the shows on par with Royal and light years ahead of Carnival or Celebrity.

On Seaside specifically, adrenaline junkies can hit the multiple water slides which we thoroughly enjoyed as well as the zipline which was fantastic, providing incredible views of the passing scenery. The F simulator and 4D cinema are also a lot of fun.

In the main dining room we found plenty of options on the menus. Each evening there would be at least four appetizer options, a soup, one or two salads, always a pasta and/or risotto course and at least four meat entrees and a vegetarian option. In addition, like other lines there is an "always available" menu which includes chicken, a steak, salmon, ceasar salad, shrimp cocktail, pasta in tomato sauce and I believe a couple of other options. I would hardly describe this as "limited". Each evening hot food arrived hot and cold food arrived cold.

We found service to be most similar to what we are used to on Celebrity : warm, but polished. If you prefer the hyped-up shorts-wearing approach of say Carnival you may not like the more reserved approach we experienced on MSC.

So what made it "European"?

Due to the greater passenger mix than compared to the US lines, all announcements and welcomes in the theater were made in six languages : Italian, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese and English. We really enjoyed meeting travelers from all over Europe. Made for some very interesting conversations. The more reserved (but exceptional) service also resulted in a more European flare.

We found the experience comparable to far more expensive cruises we have taken. Would not compare this cruise to any we have taken on NCL or Carnival which are also budget lines.

I don't understand this comment about classes. NCL have the Haven with butlers. If you don't want the basic experience then you have to pay $$$.

RCL & Celebrity both have suites who have access to private dining rooms and concierges. And area that are exclusively for suite guests. As well as priority tendering and roped off sections in the Theater. Their own express lines at guest services so they walk by everyone to go direct to the front.

I think NCL especially has a much more defined 1st class than MSC.

I will also disclose I have the half glass shower partition in my house. So do my parents. It is very common in Europe. If you are used to them you don't get water all over the place.

Also Irish and UK citizens would be uses to queuing not so much in Italy.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

I don't understand this comment about classes. NCL have the Haven with butlers. If you don't want the basic experience then you have to pay $$$.

RCL & Celebrity both have suites who have access to private dining rooms and concierges. And area that are exclusively for suite guests. As well as priority tendering and roped off sections in the Theater. Their own express lines at guest services so they walk by everyone to go direct to the front.

I will also disclose I have the half glass shower partition in my house. So do my parents. It is very common in Europe. If you are used to them you don't get water all over the place.

Also Irish and UK citizens would be used to queuing not so much in Italy.

Totally agree with all the above points!

"I don't understand this comment about classes. NCL have the Haven with butlers. If you don't want the basic experience then you have to pay $$$."

You missed my point - most folks will realize Yacht Club = Haven elsewhere. But as far as i can tell the other categories are unique to MSC and not well known. Other cruise line do it more by cabin not by cabin and "exp" Not good or bad just needs to be advertised more

The swimming pools are all deep. I guess that's European?

The previous posters have it mostly covered. If you go in with the expectation to be pretty much on your own with guest services then you'll be ok. They weren't at all accommodating. MSC has lots of inconsistency in policies. Note the issues often mentioned on this board about what the drink coupons can be used for and the smoking policy in the casino. It's likely to just depend on who you ask. Apparently European means not logical. If you're anal about the rules being followed or some sense of order, then either temper your expectations or don't do MSC.

What we got for the money was great though. We loved the food and the waiters. The room was nice and clean and room attendants excellent. Couldn't really complain once we figured out to just accept whatever was offered and make the most of it.

The kids club really was not Americanized at all. They tried to play cartoons instead of meaningful activities often but they were not ones that my kids had ever heard of. The workers were not American and really the cultural differences were huge. There's not much content to the programs. Not on par with other cruise lines at all. Babysitting pretty much.

Also Irish and UK citizens would be uses to queuing not so much in Italy.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

There is no way you can deter people from generalizing what “Europeans” do and don’t do. The “American “ mind is made up! Lol

There is no way you can deter people from generalizing what “Europeans” do and don’t do. The “American “ mind is made up! Lol

I often wonder if some of them even get that "Europe" is actually made up of different countries! :o

The swimming pools are all deep. I guess that's European?

The previous posters have it mostly covered. If you go in with the expectation to be pretty much on your own with guest services then you'll be ok. They weren't at all accommodating. MSC has lots of inconsistency in policies. Note the issues often mentioned on this board about what the drink coupons can be used for and the smoking policy in the casino. It's likely to just depend on who you ask. Apparently European means not logical. If you're anal about the rules being followed or some sense of order, then either temper your expectations or don't do MSC.

What we got for the money was great though. We loved the food and the waiters. The room was nice and clean and room attendants excellent. Couldn't really complain once we figured out to just accept whatever was offered and make the most of it.

The kids club really was not Americanized at all. They tried to play cartoons instead of meaningful activities often but they were not ones that my kids had ever heard of. The workers were not American and really the cultural differences were huge. There's not much content to the programs. Not on par with other cruise lines at all. Babysitting pretty much.

Sorry to burst your bubble but inconsistency in policies is neither exclusive to MSC or Europe. We had issues on RCI and Costa regarding what was included on our unlimited drinks package (some bartenders said one thing, some said another). The issue with the vouchers and what is included (I saw that on here when it came to gelato and chocolate merchandise) is a training/new ship issue. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: new ships ALWAYS have issues. It’s nothing to do with whichever cruise line it is or whether it’s European or American. Every seasoned cruiser knows this.

When we booked our first MSC cruise, I was going to book a Bella stateroom, but decided to pay a bit extra for Fantástica because the only Bella staterooms available were right above a lounge commonly used late into the evening.

We have now chosen to bump things up further to an Aurea Duplex suite on the Meraviglia, first because we realized that the cost of this type of accommodation would literally be a fraction of what similar accommodations would cost on another cruise line (the equivalent would be a Crown Loft Suite on Royal Caribbean), and second because perks (like access to the Aurea Spa) are things that we thoroughly enjoyed on our previous cruise and will be very happy to enjoy again.

We learned that perks like that one can elevate the onboard experience from just another cruise to a truly memorable one.

For us, bella or fantastica...it was the same exact cabin. The cabin offered either choice. So it's not like if I chose the Fantastica experience that I would get a cabin in a different area.

The cabin you chose looks fabulous.

Since we will be out and about 6 of our 7 days, we chose basic for transportation. The ship is not our destination. It's just a part of our vacation, otherwise we would be taking trains and staying in hotels. It's just always so easy to hop on a cruise ship.

When we chose a ship as the destination, we sail in Haven on NCL. We prefer to have our own private deck, pools, and restaurant. I am surprised at how MSC classifies cabins out of yacht club.

Sorry to burst your bubble but inconsistency in policies is neither exclusive to MSC or Europe. We had issues on RCI and Costa regarding what was included on our unlimited drinks package (some bartenders said one thing, some said another). The issue with the vouchers and what is included (I saw that on here when it came to gelato and chocolate merchandise) is a training/new ship issue. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: new ships ALWAYS have issues. It’s nothing to do with whichever cruise line it is or whether it’s European or American. Every seasoned cruiser knows this.

I was on Divina last summer. It had been sailing for awhile at that point. So, not a new ship issue. Regardless, I would expect a decent guest services department to correct the problem which never happened on MSC.