All things Riviera Travel UK

notamermaid

• 5 months later...

While Riviera offers the standard itineraries that other lines do, it also has some variations that come with a British history connection. This itinerary has Ypres as an excursion and Arnhem as a stop: https://www.rivierarivercruises.com/bruges-medieval-flanders-amsterdam-the-dutch-bulbfields-river-cruise

The unusual twist: the ship sails from Hoorn to Arnhem on the IJssel. Screenshot from the UNECE European waterways map: image.thumb.png.bca98c389723fd12b6ae6a01007dad53.png

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 10:32 PM, Lindypops said:

Do you get a daily document showing the activities, excursions and sailing times etc each day?

if so does anyone have an example?

thanks

This is standard across the lines, but it is apparently now often an e-document put onto your smart phone.

I reckon it is similarly paper or electronic with Riviera Travel. Hopefully someone will read your question now.

I will add a recent article referring to offers by Riviera Travel that was published by travel weekly on their American website. The company can be booked from the US and perhaps one or two prospective cruisers may consider giving this British company a try: https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Riviera-River-Cruises-discounts-Europe-sailings

notamermaid

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Earlier this month Riviera Travel revealed the Christmas time and New Year sailings for 2023. Itineraries are from five days upwards, so if you have limited time, the company may be an alternative for you to look at: https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/riviera-travel-reveals-christmas-2023-river-cruises

The cruises may also be interesting if you prefer a different embarkation port to Amsterdam, as Riviera uses Cologne. You could fly into London and go by Eurostar to Cologne and have a stop in Brussels along the way - for example. Or perhaps look at their Danube sailings.

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Riviera Travel has announced three new itineraries for 2024, with ten nights long they expand on the existing shorter itineraries and I must admit they look interesting: https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/riviera-travel-adds-three-new-10-night-river-cruises-for-2024-38095

Also new is a concierge service.

The new itineraries will be available for booking from 31 January. I look forward to reading the details, especially the Moselle and Rhine offer with Worms and the excursion to Schwetzingen Palace Gardens.

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Notamermaid, thanks for posting.  I'm looking at an April sailing with Riviera on the Rhone, and this thread came up on my search for info.

I like the new 10 night cruises mentioned in the article you linked. 

"Cologne, the Rhine Gorge and Medieval Germany (from £2,999pp), which includes 10 guided tours of Cologne, Andernach, Rudesheim, Mainz, Miltenberg, Wertheim, Wurzburg, Ochsenfurt, Bamberg and Nuremberg. It also features a visit to Braubach, a drive along the Romantic Road to Rothenburg, and a sailing through the Rhine Gorge"

Wertheim and Oschenfurt are two interesting small towns, definitely off the River Cruise path.  Both are within 30 kms of where we were stationed in the 80's.  Oschenfurt especially, my wife and I remember as a grey town we drove through, nothing memorable.

We went back in 2013 with our two oldest daughters and revisited both.  We enjoyed both, from the castle in Wertheim that you could climb all over and the great park riverside, to the new landscaping installed along the streets in Oschenfurt.  Oschefurt had some really interesting fountains and waterways which I really liked, and was pleasant to stroll through.  

Both were such pleasant surprises, so happy to see their efforts recognized.  Combining both towns with another stop is wise because even though charming, they can't fill more than a few hours.  And the river distance between them isn't that great that they could fill time with sailing.

Lastly, this cruise is nice in that you don't have to decide between Wurzburg or Rothenburg odt.  You can do both.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 1:35 PM, ural guy said:

Wertheim and Oschenfurt are two interesting small towns, definitely off the River Cruise path. 

Wertheim has steadily become a favourite among the lovely small towns along the Main. Not sure what the frequency is but from what I could see along the river they now appear to get a ship per day.

Ochsenfurt appears to still only be used as a stop for passengers to embark or disembark for the logistics of the coach trip to Rothenburg. A shame really, I enjoyed the small place, only had a few minutes but am eager to spend a couple of hours there.

That is an interesting itinerary in that it starts in Cologne - Riviera Travel is known for doing this quite often - which cuts out the sailing in the Netherlands and gives extra time later on in a 10 day cruise. I find Cologne so convenient for that. And for the British easy to get to. Andernach is small but an attractive nice addition. A few old buildings, a nice embankment to stroll along, etc.

On 8/28/2023 at 1:35 PM, ural guy said:

Lastly, this cruise is nice in that you don't have to decide between Wurzburg or Rothenburg odt.  You can do both.

Yes, I like that, too.

notamermaid

Wertheim, yes I remember now, in '14 Viking picked us up there, and we had a short amount of time.  I think it was combined with a glassblower demonstration/sales event.  When we went independently, we caught up with an old friend at a local festival, she lives just outside Wertheim.

Ochsenfurt, I think they do a small walking tour in town, after Rothenburg.

Either way, that area along the Main and the Tauber River, you could definitely spend a week or two wandering around.  I extended twice to stay longer, and that was after 3 years being there.  

Mespelbrunn Castle, 1/2 way between Frankfurt and Wurzburg would be a great spot for any line to add.  It's a short bus ride off the Main, maybe checking out .Aschaffenburg, board buses to the Castle, then get on boat in Wertheim.  63 km's on the road.

https://www.gettingstamped.com/mespelbrunn-castle-germany-water-castle/

Mespelbrunn Castle - Wikipedia

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ural guy said:

Mespelbrunn Castle, 1/2 way between Frankfurt and Wurzburg would be a great spot for any line to add. 

Oooh, that is a stab in my heart. In a good way. Love Mespelbrunn's enchanting appearance - have done ever since I was a teenager. Would you believe it, only about three hours away from home, I have still not been there. I vaguely remember reading about an excursion with a river cruise company, cannot remember where and who did it.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Wound up booking a September 2024 sailing on Riviera's Budapest to Black Sea cruise, a 14 night RT from Budapest.  On 2024 sailings the drinks package is included for North Americans, not sure about other places.

Interesting, they offer no pre or post cruise stays, nor optional tours.  I'm fine with that, we book our own extensions, just surprised as that seems to be a big money maker on other lines.

We had to put down roughly a 10% deposit, with final payment 100 days out.  10% discount for early booking a second deck cabin.

We selected an 'oddball' cabin (one of 4 that either back up to the lift or a public bathroom), due to it's odd shape it's roughly 60 sq ft larger than the other French Balcony suites on the ship (Emily Bronte), and they tilt the bed towards the sliding door.  Hopefully the lift noise doesn't have us regretting this choice.

Wanted to try another line with Vantage going under, and we like the longer cruises, and chance to revisit a few spots we saw back in 2016.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As posted above, the 2025 bookings are open, so is there something new in that year? The company has new themed cruises as reported by travelweekly.com: https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Riviera-River-Cruises-unveils-themed-sailings-2025?ct=river

I have had a look at the "Music, Arts and Craft of Switzerland and the Rhine". This one: https://www.rivieratravel.co.uk/river-cruises/music-arts-craft-switzerland-and-the-rhine

The photo showing the Beethoven statue in Bonn in front of the Altes Postamt looks promising. Hmm, turns out that as regards ports Bonn is the only "new" one. Unusual are Stergiswil and Stanserhorn in Switzerland as excursions. Really different.

As you may expect with Riviera Travel the itinerary ends in Cologne.

I think the music, arts and craft theme is well-represented, Rüdesheim okay I admit is a firm favourite so no reason to skip it.

If you do not fancy going all the way to Amsterdam and are happy with leaving from Cologne airport or are willing to hop on a train to another destination or airport, this is an interesting itinerary.

Based on the overall description, I would say it is worth checking out what Riviera Travel has compiled for the other themes.

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Riviera Travel is getting two new ships! They will not bear British authors' names:

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tour-operators/riviera-travel-to-add-two-ships-to-fleet-in-2025

Here is more info:

https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Riviera-introducing-new-generation-river-ships

Interestingly, they are different in size, meaning the company is going for the standard size of 135m for the Radiance, while the Rose will be really short: 80m! That is highly unusual. We will need to wait for the announcements of itineraries to find out where both ships will sail. No details of rivers for the two ships are given yet on the Riviera Travel website.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We considered Riviera for a river cruise recently but, on reading the reviews, rapidly scuttled back to Viking! 

We'd been on a Riviera land based trip last year and found the admin side very poor. No documents sent despite assurances that they had been and two unrelated couples on the trip had been sent each others tickets. If they hadn't noticed that the passport numbers were wrong they'd have turned up at the airport and been refused boarding.