Jump to content
notamermaid

Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

Recommended Posts

Sorry to read that abelov.

We have friends booked on 2 Scenic European river cruises next yea,r they are from Queensland, and like us have done several of river cruises.

We will notify them of these issues to alert them in case they are unaware. No MSM so far, are documenting these events and how passengers are being impacted at very short notice or not receiving notification until arriving in Europe.

Will scenic allow cancellation at this late stage?

We have read when APT cancelled at short notice some passengers including a couple from Queensland were in Europe and learnt about the cancellation there, a gold coast TA was able to book them on an ocean cruise.

 

Good luck with whatever happens.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Actually most ocean cruise change the routes and ports, not cancel the cruise.  About the only time they actually cancel is when it is not safe for the ship to make it into port.  For example have seen eastern Caribbean cruises turn into western Caribbean during hurricane season.  You get very very few out right cancellations.

There's a big difference. On an ocean cruise you are still getting a cruise, just different ports. On the river cruise you are no longer getting a cruise, you are getting a bus tour. I am not looking forward to our cruise that leaves Dec 14. Very disappointed that Viking will not offer a full refund. They have know about low levels for a long time. I doubt if I will sail with them again. Hope they suffer the consequences of their actions. Thought they were such a great company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lggva said:

 

I’m looking forward to your report of the trip. Since we leave on the Alta on 12/2. I did this same cruise in 2012 and Viking does a great job. I hope you can enjoy your trip. Safe travels. 

 

Well we got the dreaded email today from Viking. No plans to allow this to ruin my vacation.  My friends and I decided to get snacks and wine before we board, so if we get bussed we will make our own party.  It’s a bit disappointing, but try as I might I can’t control the weather. So we will have a good time and roll with whatever happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressed with APT on how they are handling the current water level situation. We are supposed to be on the AmaVenita departing Budapest on 24/11/2018 however the boat cannot get to Budapest. We have been given three options: Option 1. A modified 11-day cruise staying in a hotel in Budapest the first night, bus to Vienna for two nights then flying to Amsterdam where we will board the AmaVenita and cruise through The Netherlands and Belgium as well as 20% credit on the value of our cruise. Option 2: Defer our cruise until 2019 and do another European tour. Option 3: Full refund. Just have to make a decision between Options 1 and 3 as we already have two holidays planned for next year. Have to decide quickly as we leave Adelaide on Monday for Prague.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Danube levels have dropped slightly, a couple of cm.

 

It's a beautiful sunny day, cold but beautiful Bavarian sky (blue with small white clouds).

 

There is a high pressure zone over Germany, that will keep this sunny dry weather until at least next Tuesday, after which it will turn a lot colder with snow coming in from the east.

 

As a saying German goes " Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt ".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sorry to hear of your situation abelov.  You are quite right, it is not the way to lead in to a much anticipated holiday.

 

We are booked with Scenic, but luckily not until October next year.  I am already stressing after reading these boards.

 

I very much doubt they will let you cancel, unless you simply forfeit all your money, which is hardly what you will want.  Someone recently posted the link to the solicitor who handled the last class action against Scenic.  They are currently preparing another one for this year's issues, as it seems Scenic are about the worst in the way they are treating people.

 

I do hope things work out for your and please keep posting so we know how you get on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

madda agree those options sound fair.

Did APT also book your flights or did you do that independently?

Would the full refund be for the cruise component alone?

 

at least now you have some answers and can make plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

The Danube levels have dropped slightly, a couple of cm.

 

It's a beautiful sunny day, cold but beautiful Bavarian sky (blue with small white clouds).

 

There is a high pressure zone over Germany, that will keep this sunny dry weather until at least next Tuesday, after which it will turn a lot colder with snow coming in from the east.

 

As a saying German goes " Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt ".

The Bundesanstalt für Gewässerkunde has just published its 19th update on the low water situation in Germany. We certainly will not see any change for the better in the next few days. Their forecast for Hofkirchen gauge is not too good. Stagnation to slight fall of the level. Further into the future (up to seven days) the weather pattern will persist so while hope indeed dies last, I do not have much of it for a positive change to happen next week.

 

notamermaid

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

The Bundesanstalt für Gewässerkunde has just published its 19th update on the low water situation in Germany. We certainly will not see any change for the better in the next few days. Their forecast for Hofkirchen gauge is not too good. Stagnation to slight fall of the level. Further into the future (up to seven days) the weather pattern will persist so while hope indeed dies last, I do not have much of it for a positive change to happen next week.

 

notamermaid

 

 

Thanks notamermaid for following the weather for us.  While it’s not encouraging, your daily reports at least let us know what’s happening day by day which is more than we can say for our travel companies.  Still doing the rain dance but it seems there’s no need for umbrellas 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, suspaul said:

 

Thanks notamermaid for following the weather for us.  While it’s not encouraging, your daily reports at least let us know what’s happening day by day which is more than we can say for our travel companies.  Still doing the rain dance but it seems there’s no need for umbrellas 😞

I'd like to add my thanks as well. Although it is not good news for the chances of starting our cruise in Budapest in 2 weeks, I'd rather be prepared with an idea of what's to come. At this point, it's not even looking like Uniworld has a boat in Budapest to temporarily swap us to. :classic_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

The Bundesanstalt für Gewässerkunde has just published its 19th update on the low water situation in Germany. We certainly will not see any change for the better in the next few days. Their forecast for Hofkirchen gauge is not too good. Stagnation to slight fall of the level. Further into the future (up to seven days) the weather pattern will persist so while hope indeed dies last, I do not have much of it for a positive change to happen next week.

 

notamermaid

 

So what will it take to bring the Danube back to comfortable sailing levels?  We are booked on the Viking Romantic Danube in April, 2019.  What are the chances that the river levels will be back up to good sailing levels for this coming spring?  Bad - not good - pretty good - good - very good?  With of course the understanding that long range forecasts are a crapshoot.  Thank-you....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Crowefamily4 said:

So what will it take to bring the Danube back to comfortable sailing levels?  We are booked on the Viking Romantic Danube in April, 2019.  What are the chances that the river levels will be back up to good sailing levels for this coming spring?  Bad - not good - pretty good - good - very good?  With of course the understanding that long range forecasts are a crapshoot.  Thank-you....

Hmm, eehh, hmm. I would like to say pretty good, but at this point in time I feel that any answer will result in somebody telling me off for it. In late winter things will look better, but snow melt and rain who knows when they will come to the Danube. Sort of low water in April or flooding blocking the river for a week? Hmmm.

 

Over to G.M.T. who is better at reading the coffee grains in the Passau cafés...

 

notamermaid

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Hmm, eehh, hmm. I would like to say pretty good, but at this point in time I feel that any answer will result in somebody telling me off for it. In late winter things will look better, but snow melt and rain who knows when they will come to the Danube. Sort of low water in April or flooding blocking the river for a week? Hmmm.

 

Over to G.M.T. who is better at reading the coffee grains in the Passau cafés...

 

notamermaid

 

 

LOL,  yeah that’s what I thought, too far out to be sure, but appreciate the response.  Our first river cruise, so doing the first timer panic nail biting having read the busing stories from this past summer and current sailings.  Trying to decide if to just cancel the cruise and follow the city route, Budapest to Nuremberg, on our own via train.  Hmmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, madda said:

Very impressed with APT on how they are handling the current water level situation. We are supposed to be on the AmaVenita departing Budapest on 24/11/2018 however the boat cannot get to Budapest. We have been given three options: Option 1. A modified 11-day cruise staying in a hotel in Budapest the first night, bus to Vienna for two nights then flying to Amsterdam where we will board the AmaVenita and cruise through The Netherlands and Belgium as well as 20% credit on the value of our cruise. Option 2: Defer our cruise until 2019 and do another European tour. Option 3: Full refund. Just have to make a decision between Options 1 and 3 as we already have two holidays planned for next year. Have to decide quickly as we leave Adelaide on Monday for Prague.

That's amazing! Viking waited until one week before starting to send us messages and no offer of any kind for the 3 boat changes, two bus rides we will now have to go through on our 11/18 Romantic Danube. IF we ever do this again, will have to thoroughly research the cruise line. Thankful for this site, otherwise I would have had no clue! See rain forecast for next week in Budapest (may be a little too late for us though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We travel to Vienna on 24/11 and onto the Amadeus ship (assuming it ever moves from Linz!) on 28/11. Half the weather forecasts are for snow showers - and half are just for very cloudy. What do you think - re the likelihood of snow, and will this enable us to reach Regensburg then Nuremberg after Monday 3rd December?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Explore the Night. Sweepstakes - Enter now for a chance to win win a free cruise for two with Azamara Club Cruises!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Community Contests
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×