Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Laura Macky said:

Here's a picture I took of the Rhine from the The Niederwald above Rudesheim which shows how low the water is.  One thing I wanted to add is I wonder why the low water levels aren't publicized that much.  It's actually a bit hard to find information on it, except for the WWII bomb they found near Cologne due to the low water levels.  Maybe it's just google filtering things the way it wants too again lol.

IMG_0076.jpg

Wow! Quite a difference from our cruise a few years ago! 

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you for the photo. Question is how did you get to that spot as the ships cannot sail!?

I think it helps to filter in Google. I put in Rhine River low or Danube River low and switch to news rather search under all. You can also limit by date additionally. The hits on the Danube are so so in numbers, for the Rhine you get more.

notamermaid

You're welcome.  We did a ship swap from somewhere near Cologne to this ship in Rudesheim where we never left.

New to this board, so apologies for any transgressions in advance

Cruising with viking from Nuremberg  to Budapest in several weeks.  Hoping water levels get better, but planning for the worst and hoping to be pleasantly surprised is my style.

Anyone currently crushing from Nuremberg to Budapest, please provide some details about the current workarounds.  

Clearly,boats are piling up in Vienna, and not sailing into Budapest.   With 49cm water level, not likely to change quickly.  What's happening now?   Bus ride transfer from Vienna to Budapest?  Are they staying the full 2 days in Vienna?  What time are the busses leaving Vienna?  What time are they arriving Budapest?    Viking speaks in generalities, I'm looking for specifics.  

Also, how's the other trouble spot Regensburg / Passau being handled?  Ship swap, or getting through?

Thanks for any info

I saw earlier - an hour ago - that rain is sweeping over Bavaria. I seriously looked more closely before actually believing it. :classic_biggrin: And seeing that rain makes me strangely happy. Hope we will get some soon. Actually the rain (o.k., trying to be rain it was some drizzle) caught me yesterday during shopping, lasted for about 15 minutes - the rain I mean, the shopping took longer.

Here is an article summing up the scenario on Germany's rivers. The Spree flowing backwards, etc. and a graph of the rainfall in Germany this year compared to average: https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article182131982/Binnenschifffahrt-Trockenheit-bringt-Branche-in-Schwierigkeiten.html

Hope the Danube improves soon.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added link
  • Like 1

This is what Uniworld told my travel agent today about my December 2nd cruise on the Danube and cancellations.  Here is what they said.  "Yes, they had to cancel some departures in August and September.  He said in the next two weeks, there is going to be rain and that these rivers may be high for your departure". 

I have made plan B plans just in case!

Second seating

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Second seating said:

This is what Uniworld told my travel agent today about my December 2nd cruise on the Danube and cancellations.  Here is what they said.  "Yes, they had to cancel some departures in August and September.  He said in the next two weeks, there is going to be rain and that these rivers may be high for your departure". 

I have made plan B plans just in case!

Second seating

Someone recently posted about a cruise they had on the Maria Theresa. They were able to cruise between Passau and Vienna, and were then swapped over to the Beatrice in Budapest. If that is the worst that happens with our December cruise, I'll be happy. Bus tour and hotels ... not so much! This whole thing has been an eye opening experience for us, realizing how few protections there are for river cruisers facing major changes and cancellations of their itinerary. 

• Like 1

This will be my 8th river cruise on Uniworld and this is the first time I have ever worried about the cruise.  Once we had to deal with a lock breaking and caused some minor bussing but Uniworld gave us lunch money and a very nice credit for our next cruise.  However it is going to take a lot of rain in a short time!

Second seating

On 10/22/2018 at 9:11 PM, Jcat2010 said:

New to this board, so apologies for any transgressions in advance

Cruising with viking from Nuremberg  to Budapest in several weeks.  Hoping water levels get better, but planning for the worst and hoping to be pleasantly surprised is my style.

Anyone currently crushing from Nuremberg to Budapest, please provide some details about the current workarounds.  

Clearly,boats are piling up in Vienna, and not sailing into Budapest.   With 49cm water level, not likely to change quickly.  What's happening now?   Bus ride transfer from Vienna to Budapest?  Are they staying the full 2 days in Vienna?  What time are the busses leaving Vienna?  What time are they arriving Budapest?    Viking speaks in generalities, I'm looking for specifics.  

Also, how's the other trouble spot Regensburg / Passau being handled?  Ship swap, or getting through?

Thanks for any info

I leave next week on Avalon out of Deggendorf.  I will let you know.  So far no changes in my itinerary, I did get an upgrade down the hall.  People seem to be cancelling.  

I think that the forecasted rain has Avalon’s hopes up.  I will be taking rain gear and NyQuil. 

Plan B was to go Prague and check it out then Budapest, heck maybe I will go to Venice. 

This is will be interesting. 

19 minutes ago, Second seating said:

This will be my 8th river cruise on Uniworld and this is the first time I have ever worried about the cruise.  Once we had to deal with a lock breaking and caused some minor bussing but Uniworld gave us lunch money and a very nice credit for our next cruise.  However it is going to take a lot of rain in a short time!

Second seating

Yeah, this is our third with them and the only issue we had was one day on the Rhine they had to drain the pool on the Antoinette so she would sit higher in the water when we were passing through the shallowest point. Hoping for rain!

Yesterday was my first day in Budapest, today we were supposed to start our cruise on Avalon’s Panorama. Instead we are checking out of our pre-cruise hotel and sent to another hotel Aquaworld for two nights, then being Bussed to Vienna. The plan is to board hopefully our ship in Vienna and start our cruise. We meet with the Avalon rep at 10am this morning for more information. The Danube in Budapest is very low. Rain is expected today and tomorrow. Staying positive!!

Interesting.  We are scheduled to leave on a Riviera cruise from Budapest to Cologne next Monday.  Riviera have advised earlier today that as the river is still navigable the cruise will most likely go ahead. Not sure what sort of boat makes it navigable - perhaps a rubber dingy?

3 hours ago, trickylibrarian said:

This is our first ever river cruise going on Uniworld SS Beatrice starting in Prague and then getting on boat in Nuremberg on Nov. 7th ending in Budapest on Nov. 14.  Sure hope all goes well.  Anyone out there think the cruise would be cancelled?

Probably not, I have been following posts for 2 months.  If there is a glimmer of hope they won’t cancel.  It has started to rain some this week. 

1 hour ago, SuzieQK said:

Yesterday was my first day in Budapest, today we were supposed to start our cruise on Avalon’s Panorama. Instead we are checking out of our pre-cruise hotel and sent to another hotel Aquaworld for two nights, then being Bussed to Vienna. The plan is to board hopefully our ship in Vienna and start our cruise. We meet with the Avalon rep at 10am this morning for more information. The Danube in Budapest is very low. Rain is expected today and tomorrow. Staying positive!!

So you will have two more nights in Budapest? Oh Brother!.  Please keep us posted. Were you offered a refund prior to arriving? 

This is becoming a habit (well almost), it is raining and rained overnight but only light drizzle. No change in the river levels.

Will have to wait 24 7 48 hours to see if the rain from the Alps will have impact on the Danube.

image.png.ad531b62f22df75bd6bb329170567c34.png

image.png.e27afe803f5cae547c4919e9c0937258.png

The above two graphs show one of the critical areas over the last month, first one is river level and second is amount of water flow. The two spikes are when it rained for two days each.

Edited by G.M.T.

3 hours ago, SuzieQK said:

Hi.  The Illumination cruise was one of the highlights from our cruise.  Sailing out of Budapest was amazing.  Try to do one of the night cruises tours offered by locals, though I think Avalon should do this for you.  Still, if they won't do it, don't miss this experience. Hope you can make the best out of this, we were able to sail out of Budapest but couldn't make it to Nuremberg almost four weeks ago. Happy cruising 

3 hours ago, Julesndale said:

Interesting.  We are scheduled to leave on a Riviera cruise from Budapest to Cologne next Monday.  Riviera have advised earlier today that as the river is still navigable the cruise will most likely go ahead. Not sure what sort of boat makes it navigable - perhaps a rubber dingy?

Is Riviera a comedy act - certainly sounds like it.

Budapest to Cologne, there are THREE major desaster areas where cruise boats cannot navigate, Budapest to Bratislava, Vilshofen to Regensburg (both on th Danube) and Bingen to Koblenz (Rhine Gorge).

I see you are from Sydney, suggest you bring your surf board, at least then you can paddle between boats.

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

Is Riviera a comedy act - certainly sounds like it.

Budapest to Cologne, there are THREE major desaster areas where cruise boats cannot navigate, Budapest to Bratislava, Vilshofen to Regensburg (both on th Danube) and Bingen to Koblenz (Rhine Gorge).

I see you are from Sydney, suggest you bring your surf board, at least then you can paddle between boats.

To put it another way: either Riviera Travel UK has mistaken the rivers or is planning to deploy a narrowboat from an English canal to take cruisers along the once mighty rivers. Or it is British humour or over-optimism.

There is a tiny chance that the cruise will be on a 110m ship in which case they are plain optimistic and have a small right to be in my opinion. Julesdale I recommend checking the size of the ship. Be aware that the authorities in Hungary can close the Danube regardless of what a captain and company think is doable so be prepared.

I find the information you have been given by Riviera unsatisfactory to the point of reaching annoyance to a person like me who can see the painfully reduced in size river with her own eyes!!:classic_angry:

Sorry about the un-British outburst.

I hope you have a great time in Europe in some amazing places. Budapest is a delight.

notamermaid

2 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

So are you a Brit?

No, but I have spent so much time among them that I can blend in usually. But the German correctness and occasional outbursts of emotion are still strong in me:classic_biggrin:. I was more referring to the fact that Riviera is British. Come to think of it, for a sea-faring nation with endless canals Riviera are not exactly doing their home country proud gathering from the info above and past cruisers comments in this time of crisis on the rivers.

notamermaid

Update: Riviera Travel has offered to refund our full payment due to the fact that they cannot guarantee the cruise will go ahead as planned, and we were scheduled to fly out tomorrow.  We are very pleased with this outcome and look forward to cruising with them in the future (river levels permitting).