Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

Where do you think I will have problems? The ports I am going to are all fine right now. Since we are spending so much time in Austria and not going to Budapest - I think my itinerary will sail fine.

You may not actually sail into Vilshoven or Bratislava, but you'll probably get close enough for a short distance by road.

... ships are still getting through the stretch between Passau and Vienna for now, but if the levels continue to fall even that could become a problem. Hopefully not though.

1 minute ago, Mark_T said:

You may not actually sail into Vilshoven or Bratislava, but you'll probably get close enough for a short distance by road.

... ships are still getting through the stretch between Passau and Vienna for now, but if the levels continue to fall even that could become a problem. Hopefully not though.

Thank you. I have read all the reports and so far, my itinerary is not currently affected. Thanks for pointing out where potentially problem spots maybe. It doesn't sound that bad, actually compared to others.

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

Thank you. I have read all the reports and so far, my itinerary is not currently affected. Thanks for pointing out where potentially problem spots maybe. It doesn't sound that bad, actually compared to others.

I'm not sure why you think these are only potential problem spots. There are a lot of cruisers who are not sailing to Bratislava or Budapest; they are being bussed from Vienna for Bratislava excursions, and are generally in hotels in Budapest (although your cruise doesn't go that far.)

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I'm not sure why you think these are only potential problem spots. There are a lot of cruisers who are not sailing to Bratislava or Budapest; they are being bussed from Vienna for Bratislava excursions, and are generally in hotels in Budapest (although your cruise doesn't go that far.)

I actually think I am fortunate with my itinerary as most of the complaints have been Budapest. Honestly - if I spend more time in Austria - I will be fine. I am not worried about a 2 hour bus ride from Vienna to Bratislava.

Edited by Coral

You are indeed fortunate for the moment.

There are reports of more active traffic management on the water between Vienna and Passau, but for now at least it has remained open.

Just be aware that things are likely to get worse before they get better so it can still change at short notice, but hopefully you will still be fine.

6 hours ago, Mark_T said:

You are indeed fortunate for the moment.

There are reports of more active traffic management on the water between Vienna and Passau, but for now at least it has remained open.

Just be aware that things are likely to get worse before they get better so it can still change at short notice, but hopefully you will still be fine.

I agree. I think things could still get a lot worse. Although the portion of our cruise from Vienna to Passau looks okay so far, that doesn't mean it can't or won't get worse between now and the date of our cruise. I'm thankful for all of the information posted here since it is helping us think about contingency plans and forcing us to discuss the 'what if' scenarios now versus at the 11th hour.

15 minutes ago, bubbulz said:

I agree. I think things could still get a lot worse. Although the portion of our cruise from Vienna to Passau looks okay so far, that doesn't mean it can't or won't get worse between now and the date of our cruise. I'm thankful for all of the information posted here since it is helping us think about contingency plans and forcing us to discuss the 'what if' scenarios now versus at the 11th hour.

We just need to keep our fingers crossed or worst case, deal with a modified itinerary.

Edited by Coral

Weather forecasts seem to become consistent in predicting some days of actual rain in the next two weeks.  I'm taking that to mean things won't get worse.  "Getting better" is more than one can hope for.  Unless you work at a cruise line's corporate office.

I am just finishing Uniworld’s Munich to Budapest cruise on the SS Maria Theresa (October 12-20). We made it from Passau to Vienna with just a few minor schedule adjustments (Salzburg day was shortened because ship needed to move to a new location further down the Danube). Yesterday we were bused to Bratislava and this morning, we are being bused to Budapest while I am writing this. We will now board the SS Beatrice this afternoon and have lunch and do our shortened Budapest tours. Tomorrow morning we disembark from the Beatrice and the cruise is over. Uniworld has been very accommodating and most passengers seem very understanding of the situation, as they are obviously trying their best. We get a $350 voucher apiece for future Uniworld cruises which was a nice gesture of good will. Also, our weather has been absolutely fabulous for the entire cruise, so that is the silver lining we are focusing on. It’s been so much fun to sit in beer gardens and tour in the sunshine. We have a friend who is supposed to be doing the same cruise in reverse on Sunday from Budapest. Uniworld has offered to let her cancel and receive 100% refund because they are expecting even more disruption next week.

Can anyone read my m ind with regards to Danube river levels?

Correct. They have fallen again.

There have been plans in the drawer for the Danube stretch Vilshofen - Straubing, with straightening, deepening the channel, new locks etc. The Bavarian State government was for the proposals but the public vehmently against it, as the ruling party in Bavaria lost their absolute majority in last Sunday's regional election, this is now dead. In the past small, medium and large rivers have been straightened, put in a concrete bed with the lost of fauna and flora, now millions of €s are being spent on renaturalising them. What people do with our money. If anyone is interested just Google "Donauausbau".

Heard murmurs that Passau - Vienna is suffering and this is the most controlled stretch of the Danube with 9 locks in Austria.

On the River Elbe, they are thinking about a new signature tune:

"Down By The Streamside (ex River).

Hope we don't get to this as in WWII:

17 hours ago, bubbulz said:

Hi bubbulz, we too are on a river cruise in early Dec from Prague (hotel nights) then to Budapest.  I know lots can change as we’re still 6 weeks out but we have also made a Plan B, booked hotels and private transportation between Prague, Nuremberg, Vienna and Budapest, all are cancellable without penalty.  Hotels in these cities are filling up quickly so at least we are prepared should our trip get cancelled.  We did our own air thus our routing.  Fingers crossed all goes well, either way we’ll enjoy our travels.

We’ve had river cruises where the water level was too high and now it’s so low.  Not only is this affecting so many travel plans now and in the future but it’s causing so many problems for those living along the rivers also.  Our issues are short term but not so for those who must live it.

Good luck.  

Rain is indeed coming to the area. The following website calls it "a rare guest this year". This is their forecast for Deggendorf: https://www.wetteronline.de/wettertrend/deggendorf

Does not look much in mm but at least it will rain (so hope the weather forecast is correct).

Have a great time on your river cruise adventure, I hope the company will look after you well.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, suspaul said:

Hi bubbulz, we too are on a river cruise in early Dec from Prague (hotel nights) then to Budapest.  I know lots can change as we’re still 6 weeks out but we have also made a Plan B, booked hotels and private transportation between Prague, Nuremberg, Vienna and Budapest, all are cancellable without penalty.  Hotels in these cities are filling up quickly so at least we are prepared should our trip get cancelled.  We did our own air thus our routing.  Fingers crossed all goes well, either way we’ll enjoy our travels.

We’ve had river cruises where the water level was too high and now it’s so low.  Not only is this affecting so many travel plans now and in the future but it’s causing so many problems for those living along the rivers also.  Our issues are short term but not so for those who must live it.

Good luck.  

We've been doing the same pre-planning just in case. We are set for hotels in Prague and Budapest, but need to still figure what we would want to do with the days in between if we end up facing a cancellation. We've had some minor issues with low water in the past but those were easily resolved by emptying the pool for a few days through the shallow parts. Not so easy these days for sure!

5 hours ago, lindsay_claire said:

I am just finishing Uniworld’s Munich to Budapest cruise on the SS Maria Theresa (October 12-20). We made it from Passau to Vienna with just a few minor schedule adjustments (Salzburg day was shortened because ship needed to move to a new location further down the Danube). Yesterday we were bused to Bratislava and this morning, we are being bused to Budapest while I am writing this. We will now board the SS Beatrice this afternoon and have lunch and do our shortened Budapest tours. Tomorrow morning we disembark from the Beatrice and the cruise is over. Uniworld has been very accommodating and most passengers seem very understanding of the situation, as they are obviously trying their best. We get a $350 voucher apiece for future Uniworld cruises which was a nice gesture of good will. Also, our weather has been absolutely fabulous for the entire cruise, so that is the silver lining we are focusing on. It’s been so much fun to sit in beer gardens and tour in the sunshine. We have a friend who is supposed to be doing the same cruise in reverse on Sunday from Budapest. Uniworld has offered to let her cancel and receive 100% refund because they are expecting even more disruption next week.

Thanks for your post. I've been watching the tracking for the Maria Theresa and saw it had made its way to Vienna so I was wondering what the plan was for Budapest. Glad you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather!

10 hours ago, steverhodes said:

Keep your fingers crossed. 

79FEC9A5-4BDD-45BB-9515-4A67B00C2055.jpeg

Thank you looks like wet weather gear for my cruise.  If it rains on my Parade so be it. As long as it clears out the drought issues.  

Should I bring rain boots 😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 2

Here's a picture I took of the Rhine from the The Niederwald above Rudesheim which shows how low the water is.  One thing I wanted to add is I wonder why the low water levels aren't publicized that much.  It's actually a bit hard to find information on it, except for the WWII bomb they found near Cologne due to the low water levels.  Maybe it's just google filtering things the way it wants too again lol.

IMG_0076.jpg

Edited by Laura Macky

I just looked at weather and it appears Budapest is having some rain with more in the forecast.  Knowing how our weather predictions can be a fail,  I’m not putting much into this but maybe it’s a start 🤞🏼.  I realize so many areas need rain, not only for us visitors, so hopefully fall will bring what’s needed and commerce can get somewhat back to normal.

14 minutes ago, suspaul said:

I just looked at weather and it appears Budapest is having some rain with more in the forecast.  Knowing how our weather predictions can be a fail,  I’m not putting much into this but maybe it’s a start 🤞🏼.  I realize so many areas need rain, not only for us visitors, so hopefully fall will bring what’s needed and commerce can get somewhat back to normal.

Yeap it sure does, I didn’t see it a few days ago.  

1 hour ago, Laura Macky said:

Here's a picture I took of the Rhine from the The Niederwald above Rudesheim which shows how low the water is.  One thing I wanted to add is I wonder why the low water levels aren't publicized that much.  It's actually a bit hard to find information on it, except for the WWII bomb they found near Cologne due to the low water levels.  Maybe it's just google filtering things the way it wants too again lol.

IMG_0076.jpg

Thank you for the photo. Question is how did you get to that spot as the ships cannot sail!?

I think it helps to filter in Google. I put in Rhine River low or Danube River low and switch to news rather search under all. You can also limit by date additionally. The hits on the Danube are so so in numbers, for the Rhine you get more.

notamermaid