A quick note on elevator bullies

perditax

I use a scooter. I know how to run over feet. I do it well. I also know how to bump people who get a step outside the elevator and stop to figure out where to go,

Nice! Can you reach the freewheel lever from the seat? :evilsmile:

I use a scooter. I know how to run over feet. I do it well. I also know how to bump people who get a step outside the elevator and stop to figure out where to go,

I'll put you in the same category as the man who was in such a rush to get off the elevator he planted his size 12's on my toe and broke it. Rude, rude, rude.

I'll put you in the same category as the man who was in such a rush to get off the elevator he planted his size 12's on my toe and broke it. Rude, rude, rude.

Agreed. No one should be invading anyone’s space in an aggressive or abusive manner but I do think it’s ok to protect one’s self.

Just wondering...how did the toe breaker react to hurting you so badly?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. No one should be invading anyone’s space in an aggressive or abusive manner but I do think it’s ok to protect one’s self.

shocked....with an apology

But do you think it is OK for people to stand and block the exit of the elevator when people ask them to move so they can get off?

When you are pushed to the back are you just expected to ride up and down the elevator as people get on and off until it happens to be empty and then get off on that, random, floor?

But do you think it is OK for people to stand and block the exit of the elevator when people ask them to move so they can get off?

When you are pushed to the back are you just expected to ride up and down the elevator as people get on and off until it happens to be empty and then get off on that, random, floor?

I actually already replied to this type of question. No, I would not be a doormat. I would give fair warning and then push my way out. But I wouldn’t just push through without first alerting the offender(s) to their inappropriate behavior and my intentions if they won’t make way. If pushing my way out is not possible, I would warn that shin kicking is my next option. I’m not going to be rude to anyone but I don’t think it’s being rude to stand up to bullies.

I once had an encounter with the rudest person I’ve ever met. He bullied me on FB when I was trying to sell my extra concert tickets, harassing me so that I’d sell them for practically nothing for his kids. We got there early and staked out a spot in the scorching heat all day. A group of people were rudely pushing their way in between our group right as the main band was beginning and stopped. I told them they had to move, I didn’t care which direction. I recognized the lead male as the FB harasser. He refused to move from their position of splitting up our group. Long story, short, I ended up telling his kids their dad was a d-word (something I’d NEVER do in normal circumstances) and they finally moved. But to prove my point, this man later peed in the spot he moved to, right in the middle of the crowd and with his late elementary-aged kids present and watching. He didn’t want to lose his spot in the crowd. Some people are d-words and I will not be a doormat.

OK, I agree with you completely. Simply shoving without asking people to move is actually ruder than the person that did not move. At least the person that did not move before being asked may be oblivious to anyone else until someone says something (we have all been caught daydreaming on vacation :) )

It's almost as bad as the people that are so lazy they have to stop the elevator to cram on just to go down or up a single floor. If you"re disabled its understandable. If you're just lazy and out of shape, it's not.

And how do you know if I am disabled or just lazy...just got off Celebrity Ship....did not have these bullies but will tell you we rode the elevator all the time....we look perfectly fine but my sister has COPD, her husband is having his knee operated on when they get home, my husband has a heart condition and I also have a knee problem....sure you would look at us and think we were just lazy...don't judge!

And how do you know if I am disabled or just lazy...just got off Celebrity Ship....did not have these bullies but will tell you we rode the elevator all the time....we look perfectly fine but my sister has COPD, her husband is having his knee operated on when they get home, my husband has a heart condition and I also have a knee problem....sure you would look at us and think we were just lazy...don't judge!

Agreed. I have a friend who's 41. He's a little pudgy but mostly because he has Still's disease and can't exercise. His joints hurt like he's 80. You'd never know it from looking at him. He also has a service dog who alerts him when he's getting ready to have a flare up. Remarkable, really.

I guess that's the reason I take the stairs whenever possible. No problems getting past others... I move pretty quick.

Sorry you were put in bad situation.

I would take the stairs if I could but I have RA and can’t walk up the steps so it’s really frustrating when large groups of healthy people fill up the elevators to go up or down one floor. Since they can walk much better than I, the healthy people always beat me to the elevator. I now just get on any elevator that has space whether it’s going up or down and ride until I can get it to go where I need to go.

I was discussing this matter with my room steward and he told me what many of them do in this situation. They will be on deck 0 waiting to go up and when the elevator comes down full of people, he knows that they are ones who wanted to go up but got on an elevator that goes down because none of them are allowed to go to deck 0.

He politely tells them that this elevator is now out of service for maintenance and that they have to take the stairs back up to deck 1 to catch the elevator up.

I was discussing this matter with my room steward and he told me what many of them do in this situation. They will be on deck 0 waiting to go up and when the elevator comes down full of people, he knows that they are ones who wanted to go up but got on an elevator that goes down because none of them are allowed to go to deck 0.

He politely tells them that this elevator is now out of service for maintenance and that they have to take the stairs back up to deck 1 to catch the elevator up.

Seems to me that they could get into more trouble by having to get off the elevator and find their way to the stairs than to simply go back up the elevator.

I would take the stairs if I could but I have RA and can’t walk up the steps so it’s really frustrating when large groups of healthy people fill up the elevators to go up or down one floor. Since they can walk much better than I, the healthy people always beat me to the elevator. I now just get on any elevator that has space whether it’s going up or down and ride until I can get it to go where I need to go.

It’s not about who thinks they are more important or have greater needs, there are neither restrictions nor greater privileges on who can use the elevators.

They are there for all to use.

If I can I get in and stand by the elevator buttons. Works if it is full and works if it is empty. Then I can get off easily. The only thing I can add is please practice a little if using a scooter for the first time. You could hurt yourself by crashing into the elevator walls or running over someone's foot. I have seen both.

I don't know so much that people are intentionally bullies and won't move away from the door for others to get out.

I think in general, the problem is that most people are stupid. They don't have the basic brain power to realize when the elevator stops, someone behind them probably has to get off. They stand there oblivious and irritated because they think someone else is going to try to get on the already crowded elevator.

It's not that people are bullies, it's that people are stupid. I think a good tactic would be.....not just "excuse me" but " excuse me, can I get off here"

Now that's funny right there, and sadly true.

I'm all for not being uptight about every little thing, but riding to the wrong floor to placate rude idiots seems a little doormat-like to me, lol. I deal with the NYC subway every day. We just shove past.

I agree! Why reward people for behaving badly?! I would do what I had to do to get on and off the elevator where it suits my needs, not those of rude people who think they have a monopoly on the elevator!

It’s not about who thinks they are more important or have greater needs, there are neither restrictions nor greater privileges on who can use the elevators.

They are there for all to use.

The elevators ARE there for ALL to use but common courtesy would be nice. I live in constant pain and standing longer outside the door of an elevator increases that pain. I have found myself praying that someone will be kind enough to allow me to get in an elevator. Sure I could sit at home for the rest of my life and never travel or do anything enjoyable but that wouldnt be living.

It's almost as bad as the people that are so lazy they have to stop the elevator to cram on just to go down or up a single floor. If you"re disabled its understandable. If you're just lazy and out of shape, it's not.

I don’t look as if I have mobility issues, but walking even one flight of stairs makes my knee ache for hours. Some of us need to use the elevator (lift) to go up one floor. Love when the alarm goes off and those who have just crammed on look every which way but refuse to acknowledge I was last on I need to get off. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums