A quick note on elevator bullies

perditax

I just had the image of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka in the elevator... “LET ME OUT OR ILL SCREAM!!”[emoji23] It should work!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL yeah I bet that would be pretty effective!!!:'):'):'):')

If you think that is effective, give "OH GOD, I'M GONNA THROW UP!!" a try.

That should open up a path to the exit. ;p

Next time after the muster drill, watch how many people push aside those in wheel chairs or scooters and make them wait until every last person has made their way back to their cabins....NO one offering to let them on any elevator.....
Let's just hope that in the case of an actual emergency muster, this kind of behavior wouldn't happen!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

There are many many people who know nothing about elevator etiquette and there may be good reasons, one as simple as they have had no opportunity to learn it. And it is learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What elevator etiquette.

Simple good manners is all you need, wait your turn and help people that have a bit of difficulty.

Don’t need etiquette, just good parents that raise you properly.

If you think that is effective, give "OH GOD, I'M GONNA THROW UP!!" a try.

That should open up a path to the exit. ;p

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]So many great suggestions in this thread

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What elevator etiquette.

Simple good manners is all you need, wait your turn and help people that have a bit of difficulty.

Don’t need etiquette, just good parents that raise you properly.

There is indeed a protocol on an elevator. You just may not realize this. Most elevator etiquette does not come from parents, many parents of adults of cruising age who are offenders likely did not have any opprtunities to learn from parents on this topic. many, many adults had no opportunity to ride evators in multi family housing or even in the workplace.

This issue is not a child's error, its an adults. You are confuing it as a childs error.

There is indeed a protocol on an elevator. You just may not realize this. Most elevator etiquette does not come from parents, many parents of adults of cruising age who are offenders likely did not have any opprtunities to learn from parents on this topic. many, many adults had no opportunity to ride evators in multi family housing or even in the workplace.

This issue is not a child's error, its an adults. You are confuing it as a childs error.

Give me a break with all this etiquette for this for that nonsense.

Be polite treat people with kindness and help people that are older and have mobility issues.

No etiquette or huge write up required.

Its sort a a difficult situation...I can completely imagine people in a filled elevator thinking where am I supposed to go in that moment. Can't move, and any movement may be a bump into someone else so people freeze in place probably expecting someone else to make the move first.

Oh goodness, you can't really think that if someone is right in front and someone behind them says "excuse me, I need to get out" that they don't have the sense to know that they can simply walk out of the elevator and hold the door open and then walk in after those that needed to get out have left?

I disagree with the "life is too short to get upset" strategy....I work in mental health and sacrificing your self respect and accepting this behaviour can affect you negatively....bullies rely on those who will accept and stay quiet....it gives them power. Speak up for yourself for no other reason than to sleep well at night knowing you have set boundaries for the way people are expected to treat you.

Absolutely

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The people who will shove their large group into an overcrowded elevator, so that everyone is pressed up against each other, are the same people who will absolutely refuse to step off the elevator at the next floor to let the people in the back get off.

Twice this week on Escape, I've had to shove past someone who refused to let me off an elevator (both times women, for what it's worth). One of them was saying "just get off, just get off", while blocking the doorway. Maybe they think they're smaller than they are? Maybe they think I'm smaller than I am? I have no idea. Both times I've had to physically push past and through them. Frankly, my days of being in a mosh pit are well behind me, but if you're going to block an exit, I'm going to move you.

(Also, it's flu season, and if you think it's a good idea to force people into direct physical contact with an elevator full of strangers, you're a damned moron.)

If you're a person who won't move to let the people in the back of the elevator get off, will you please explain your reasoning so me?

You can't explain stupid.

You can't explain rude.

You can't explain lack of manners.

Well, maybe you can: It's all about ME, ME, ME!

Life is too short to get upset about an elevator. If they won't let you off, ride past your floor and go back to it. Like the impatient people who cram into the elevator thinking that their life will end if they have to wait another minute, people can stay in the elevator a minute if it is too hard to get out.

I've read some silly posts, but this one has to be one of the silliest that I have ever seen. Incredible dribble.

Oh goodness, you can't really think that if someone is right in front and someone behind them says "excuse me, I need to get out" that they don't have the sense to know that they can simply walk out of the elevator and hold the door open and then walk in after those that needed to get out have left?

That's probably an over reaction or a dramatic scenario for the benefit of the negativity of this tread. Over reactions to simple injustices in life from time to time with harsh judgement. I have seen this sort of thing happen in workplace condtions where everyone knows better and are like, duh, what did I just do???

People are such imperfect beings. Things happen.

I've had more fun on elevators with others, in all my years cruising with guests, than I have had ever had complaints about. Life is what I make it. I choose to make it fun. I mostly think from my experiences that others do too.

YMMV of course.

Give me a break with all this etiquette for this for that nonsense.

Be polite treat people with kindness and help people that are older and have mobility issues.

No etiquette or huge write up required.

I can tell you from my cruise experiences that more often than not, when I have deferred to those on scooters, for example, that I have been turned down when offerening to put them on board first.

What do you make of that???

Me & my wife were on the Escape a few weeks ago and I am in a manual wheelchair full time

It is amazing how some people are oblivious to the width of my chair, they will move their feet 2 inches instead of moving to the back of the elevator. I remind them that the pounds per square inch on my tires will crush your feet and ruin their cruise.

My wife will remind some people who will cut in front of me as I wait for the elevator that her husband would love to take the stairs right behind them

Don't get me wrong, many people saw me and did what ever was possible to get me on a elevator, some got out and took the stairs, met a lot of really nice people, hey were all on vacation

But the Escape could use another set of elevators in the middle and push the others to the front & back

I don't mind pushing but that carpet is too soft

I can tell you from my cruise experiences that more often than not, when I have deferred to those on scooters, for example, that I have been turned down when offerening to put them on board first.

What do you make of that???

No need to make anything out of it.

Smile and get in the elevator.

If you don’t have any mobility issues, you did the right thing by offering them a place ahead of you, as it should be.

If they decline they must have their reasons, maybe they were waiting for someone, maybe there wasn’t enough room left for them to fit, who knows, no need to worry about it.

I guess that's the reason I take the stairs whenever possible. No problems getting past others... I move pretty quick.

Sorry you were put in bad situation.

I cannot physically walk up and down stairs .I am at the mercy of those who take the elevators .Usually not a pleasant experience.

I feel shoving ones way off is a action that is one that is missing an opportunity to communicate effectively.

Saying excuse me me, I will need to ask you (all) to move/give way so that I can get out this elevator details what the action items are.

I am someone who would manage the situation in this manner, first.

So you are saying that if you are in an elevator and the doors open and someone behind you says excuse me twice, you would not know that they wanted you to move so they could get off the elevator?

Perhaps it’s because I live in a large city and take multiple elevator rides every day (to leave my apartment, to get into my subway station, to get to and from my place of work and again to go home) but I think saying excuse me twice is more than sufficient in that situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I disagree with the "life is too short to get upset" strategy....I work in mental health and sacrificing your self respect and accepting this behaviour can affect you negatively....bullies rely on those who will accept and stay quiet....it gives them power. Speak up for yourself for no other reason than to sleep well at night knowing you have set boundaries for the way people are expected to treat you.

So, do you classify people who jump on an elevator a Bully? It is common in many cultures. So you label people based on your culture and beliefs????

We have cruised on Breakaway 4 times and up until this last cruise the week before Christmas, I had never experienced the elevator problems. It seems that NCL enticed several hundred people in the Asian market to try the cruise line prior to the new ship coming out. The ship was packed.

Proper etiquette is to let others out of the elevator before you get on. This is apparently not something they do. It didn't matter how many people were in the elevator, they just shoved their way in. After the same man did this to us numerous times, my husband was fed up. The man shoved in instead of letting us off (Me, my husband, and our daughter). My husband said "That's it! Enough is enough! You need to figure out how this works now." He actually picked up the man, placed him out of the elevator, let us and others off, then told him he could get on. The entire elevator broke out in applause as well as some other people waiting for the elevator. :') This was also the same man that decided it was ok go get up and walk around during Muster.:confused:

Life is too short to get upset about an elevator. If they won't let you off, ride past your floor and go back to it. Like the impatient people who cram into the elevator thinking that their life will end if they have to wait another minute, people can stay in the elevator a minute if it is too hard to get out.

Someone with decent manners would always step off the elevator to let those in the rear off. If they don't have decent manners I will make my own path out. LOL

Threads like this make me wonder if I have made a mistake booking my first ever cruise.

I am one of those disabled people that appear outwardly "normal"... but am far from it.

Embarkation, muster, and elevators are my concerns and pose the largest risk to my well being. This cruise is one of my bucket list items.

Threads like this make me wonder if I have made a mistake booking my first ever cruise.

I am one of those disabled people that appear outwardly "normal"... but am far from it.

Embarkation, muster, and elevators are my concerns and pose the largest risk to my well being. This cruise is one of my bucket list items.

Don’t worry, most people I noticed were kind and helpful, you get the odd ******* and the one that has a bit too much to drink and doesn’t know any better, but you shouldn’t have too much problems as a result of other passengers.

Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time.