Underage Married Couple

mrsdarkstar247

Thanks for laughing at my failed marriage. Very compassionate of you. :rolleyes:

Having been through a failed marriage that began when we were both 20 years old, I offered my advice based on experience, not opinion. That you find it funny that I advise not marrying so young, which from my personal and difficult experience I believe places too many obstacles in the way to a happy future and may increase the possibility of divorce because of it, says a lot about how intolerant you are of differing viewpoints that may conflict with your inflated opinion. :mad:

Just because you had a failed marriage doesn't make everyone else who gets married before they're 20 a failed married. Just like just because someone who is 50 years old and is an alcoholic, doesn't mean that someone who drinks at 17 or 18 years old is going to become an alcoholic. There are millions of people who have very happy and successful marriages that get married at 17 & 18 years old. What makes your experience any different than theirs?

I'm a very compassionate person actually, just not toward prudes who jump on a newlywed couple who are in some of the happiest moments in their lives right now, only to down them for getting married before some age that you do not "approve of".:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

I have experienced a cruise both ways- with alcohol and without ( my husband drank not me). Without was definitely better. Didn’t have to worry about him falling all over the place, slobbering on others or me and breaking his phone in the shower. I on the other hand, have a great time with one glass of wine at dinner once or twice. Maybe a fruity drink by the pool or whiskey sour at the platinum/diamond party.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, 20 is young to get married. I got married at 22 and we are still together almost 20 years later. Over half of marriages fail, and it isn’t exclusive to young age. Maybe we shouldn’t be so judgmental...just a thought.

No, it divorce is not exclusive to young age. But it is more prevalent for people who marry under 25. According to this source, half of all divorces are marriages under 25 years of age. In comparison, 25 to 35 it's about half of that. And even less for those who marry over 35.

So, yes, statistics show that marrying young results in more divorces than waiting to marry. It isn't baseless opinion, or being judgmental, as some would like to imply, but actual, statistical facts. "Just a thought".

According to the CDC, in 2011, the divorce rates by age group and gender were:

• 27.6% of women aged 19 or younger
  • 11.7% of men aged 19 or younger
  • 36.6% of women aged 20-24
  • 38.8% of men aged 20-24

But at 25, something dramatic happens. Statistics show that the divorce rates plummet by nearly half for both genders:

• 16.4% of women aged 25-29 (compared with 36.6% for the average 24-year-old woman)
  • 22.3% of men aged 25-29 (compared with 38.8% for the average 24-year-old man)

divorceinfographic.png

(source: http://maselliwarren.com/2014/03/20/divorce-rates-increase-youre-25/)

No, it divorce is not exclusive to young age. But it is more prevalent for people who marry under 25. According to this source, half of all divorces are marriages under 25 years of age. In comparison, 25 to 35 it's about half of that. And even less for those who marry over 35.

So, yes, statistics show that marrying young results in more divorces than waiting to marry. It isn't baseless opinion, or being judgmental, as some would like to imply, but actual, statistical facts. "Just a thought".

According to the CDC, in 2011, the divorce rates by age group and gender were:

•  
  • 27.6% of women aged 19 or younger

• 11.7% of men aged 19 or younger

• 36.6% of women aged 20-24

• 38.8% of men aged 20-24

But at 25, something dramatic happens. Statistics show that the divorce rates plummet by nearly half for both genders:

•  
  • 16.4% of women aged 25-29 (compared with 36.6% for the average 24-year-old woman)

• 22.3% of men aged 25-29 (compared with 38.8% for the average 24-year-old man)

divorceinfographic.png

(source: http://maselliwarren.com/2014/03/20/divorce-rates-increase-youre-25/)

Mary, I’m sure you know that stats can be found online to support any side of any issue. If I were to use stats I think I’d look at more than one year, and if I were to choose one year it probably would not be from 7years ago. [emoji15][emoji16] What about over 29, maybe the “old” people have worst stats of all.

For arguments sake let us suppose it was factual that failed marriage could likely be avoided by not marrying young (thank God I’m typing this and not having to speak it without laughter) it would still be unkind, rude, and unnecessary for a complete stranger to offer their unsolicited advice on if someone they know little to nothing about is ready for marriage. Do you go up to young married couples in public and warn them their marriage is likely doomed bc of their age? I hope not, so we shouldn’t do it hiding behind fake names and a computer screen either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mary, I’m sure you know that stats can be found online to support any side of any issue. If I were to use stats I think I’d look at more than one year, and if I were to choose one year it probably would not be from 7years ago. [emoji15][emoji16] What about over 29, maybe the “old” people have worst stats of all.

And, of course, there are certain people who will argue and use any excuse not to believe published statistics no matter how valid, no matter how factual, no matter how much proof is submitted to support them. We seem to live in an era where so many people instantly disqualify any facts if they don't support their personal beliefs. I guess I am "old school". I don't instantly assume anything I read from accredited sources, such as the CDC, is somehow incorrect, or based on skewed bias, or deliberately false to promote some nefarious agenda. Call me naive, but I chose to live in a world where trust still exists.

I married at 20. My marriage failed after less than 4 years. I think I have suffered a painful enough experience on this topic to at least have a right to voice an opinion without ridicule from some posters, one calling me a "prude" and accusing me of meddling in someone else's life by, to quote that poster, "jumping in and putting them down". My opinion is not a judgment. It is based on personal experience. It was not meant as a judgement. It was meant as an observation.

So sorry to anyone who allowed themselves to be offended by my comments. It is clear that advice based on experience is not wanted here. So, this will be my last comment - to the hurrahs of several readers, no doubt. *Miss G* should now be quite pleased. ;)

Edited by sloopsailor

And, of course, there are certain people who will argue and use any excuse not to believe published statistics no matter how valid, no matter how factual, no matter how much proof is submitted to support them. We seem to live in an era where so many people instantly disqualify any facts if they don't support their personal beliefs. I guess I am "old school". I don't instantly assume anything I read from accredited sources, such as the CDC, is somehow incorrect, or based on skewed bias, or deliberately false to promote some nefarious agenda. Call me naive, but I chose to live in a world where trust still exists.

Again if you want to use stats you don’t pick one year, almost a decade old to boot, and only a small range of ages. Personally I’m typically fact driven, just have a acquire all the pertinent information before drawing a conclusion and deeming it fact.

For example, if I were to pull divorce stats from my grandparents era I bet young marriages had very good stats. That doesn’t mean that is getting married at 20 is the answer for all either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The truth often hurts! :p

/quote]

Some brutally frank posts here - I wonder if they will give OP pause for thought.

Why should it?

Most of the very negative posts assume that the OP lives in the US and grew up breaking the law. Much more likely that the OP is from outside the US.

In many other countries alcohol can be legally consume once one is an adult, generally around age 18. In a good number of countries people grow up being exposed to alcohol and start consumption at an earlier age under the guidance of parents.

If the poster was 22, would you have said the same thing?

The question was not how young should one get married but is alcohol the only way to enjoy oneself?

The OP never said it was the only way. Just that they do enjoy consuming alcohol while vacationing. I suggest you give it some thought. Is this not true of a goodly majority of people who cruise, or people in general?

I think I already know the answer to this question, but it hasn't been asked in a while from what I can see, so I thought I'd go ahead and ask.

My soon-to-be husband and I will be cruising in the next few months on Carnival, leaving the day after our wedding. We will prove our marriage so we can can board the ship under the age rule, but we'll still be only 20 years old for the entire trip.

Is there any chance at all that we'll be able to drink on this trip when we're on the actual ship? I've sort of been worried that we aren't going to have any fun on our honeymoon, since we haven't gone on vacation without alcohol in years, but I guess I brought this on myself. (WILL we have any fun?) For some reason, I thought being married would make a difference, but it doesn't seem that Carnival has any policy like that.

Also, this is both of our first cruises. Any other tips for us?

You must be 21 to consume alcohol on a Carnival cruise. If you are sailing to the Caribbean you will most likely be served. You may want to rebook a cruise that has more ports of call.