Huge life-altering problem (Snapchat and cruising)

Ok, maybe the title was a bit dramatic, but I'm on a current streak (I've sent someone a Snapchat every day)that will hit a year about the time I go on my cruise. I'm debating on if I should get the Voom package or not. I mean is $100 worth all the Snapchats I'll get? Does Majesty Of The Seas even have real internet, or is it just a long phone cable that runs behind the boat from Port Canaveral.

(This post is more of a vent/silly post, going for the giggles here. I do love Cruise Critic, and sometimes it just needs a little lightening up.)

You could always print out a message, put it in a bottle and throw it overboard. Technically, you still sent something each day, it just might take a while to get to the recipient

Of course, you'll have to bring your printer with you, then .......:rolleyes:

What else do you use the internet for? To me, it doesn't seem worth it for snapchat only.

We purchase the package in advance (at the discounted prices) and use for email, read the newspaper, and communicate with our family via skype. Depending on the ship's internet, it may be a voice only skype, but it does avoid those pesky high roaming charges.

Here's an idea - you could put the phone in airplane mode, take snaps every day, get back home, take off airplane mode, and then the waiting snaps will send. So, they'll all arrive to the recipient all at once on disembarkation date, but "technically" you sent one each day as they'll be time-stamped as such.

Here's an idea - you could put the phone in airplane mode, take snaps every day, get back home, take off airplane mode, and then the waiting snaps will send. So, they'll all arrive to the recipient all at once on disembarkation date, but "technically" you sent one each day as they'll be time-stamped as such.

This seems like the winner to me. Best of both worlds-don't spend the money and you still get your fix.

We go on cruises, so we can get away from our phones. We lock them up in the room once we get there, and never look at them the entire time.

Works for some, not for others.

Due to my job, I can't "go off the grid" for an entire week. So my company pays for my internet and I have my phone on the ship to use in the thus far nonexistent event a phone call or email comes through that absolutely requires my attention.

I also have a cat at home that eats via an automated feeder. When I go out of town, I have a security camera connected to wifi pointed on the feeder so I can drop in now and then via an app on my phone to make sure the feeder is working. If it's not working, again thus far this hasn't been an issue, I can call a family member to stop by and address the issue. Otherwise my cat would starve to death, and I'd like to avoid that.

Or you could do what my kids do while we're on a cruise and have someone take over their streaks. I think that defeats the purpose, but what the heck do I know. LOL

I think this is the best option. I absolutely hate Snapchat, and I hate what it’s done to my child’s attention span. I hate how it distracts her, and how she has become convinced that keeping up these streaks is a priority, without any realization of how much free time it actually ties up, and how inefficient it makes a person’s day.

BUT, I also realize that it’s hard for kids to not participate in this stuff, and they think it’s a really important part of their social life, and therefore, if you fit into this category, your best compromise is to let someone else take it over for the week.

Let’s be rational for a minute now. If someone else is doing your streak, does it really count anymore? Is it going to change your life experience to let the streak go, and start it over (or give it up altogether)?

Do you want the memories of your vacation to be of you attached to your phone taking arbitrary pictures to send to people? Do you want all your vacation photos to be of you staring at a cell phone?

I had this issue with my child during the infamous Pokémon craze while we were on vacation. A quick review of our photos and she was ashamed at how often she really was on her phone, even though in her head she thought she wasn’t. From that point on, she was able to recognize that the vacation experience trumped the craze of the moment, and she has let a lot of those Snapchat streaks go rather than submit herself to another vacation where she had to see herself as “one of those people” who can’t put their phone down.

That one vacation of ruined photos and videos was worth it to get all of our future vacations cell phone free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm far from a kid. I'm 38. My wife loves cruises because I'm forced off the grid and won't deal with work. (Although, I do go sneak up to the library to get on the internet and check my work email, because I just need to know what's happening while I'm gone).

I agree that Snapchat is a problem with the youth and that this really isn't a huge deal, I really just posted for some laughs.... although that airplane mode snapping thing is a really good idea and I might have to try it out on land.

And I can't let someone take over my streaks. Haven't you seen the news about what Snapchat is used for? (I don't use it for that, again, going for the jokes)

I'm far from a kid. I'm 38. My wife loves cruises because I'm forced off the grid and won't deal with work. (Although, I do go sneak up to the library to get on the internet and check my work email, because I just need to know what's happening while I'm gone).

I agree that Snapchat is a problem with the youth and that this really isn't a huge deal, I really just posted for some laughs.... although that airplane mode snapping thing is a really good idea and I might have to try it out on land.

And I can't let someone take over my streaks. Haven't you seen the news about what Snapchat is used for? (I don't use it for that, again, going for the jokes)

Oh... well in that case, it would probably be even funnier to let your friends take it over just to see what they come up with while you’re gone. Choose the friends wisely [emoji23]

If it’s not a big deal save your money. I don’t know what a streak is but sounds like social media lingo to earn “cred” or followers. Waste of time. Enjoy your break from your device.

I’m your age group and normally stick my phone in the safe and use it as a camera. On last cruise I got free day of internet and did check the news but resisted the urge to check social media or work; it will wait til I get home. I’ve even considered bringing my normal digital camera next time so I don’t even take the phone off the ship as a camera

Are you free at the end of April?;p

Yes! I’ll accept that job, mostly because I am Snapchat illiterate and also capable of thinking inappropriate things are hilarious, which makes me a great candidate for sending amusing messages to strangers [emoji23]

They’ll mostly get videos of my face giving the “is this thing on” face.

My son was just complaining about this for our cruise the end of April. Maybe you could get a support group together, everyone chips in for internet and takes turns keeping the streak alive!!

My older son bought the package and is going to charge his brother 5$ each time he wants to borrow it for Snapchat!!

Every single thread about internet, even a playful thread like this, ends up with some judgy old curmudgeon opining that they lock their phone in the safe (which means everyone else should too, apparently.)

Literally, who cares? The thread wasn’t asking for the location of your phone on a cruise, levonfan, but thanks for the update.

Now to answer the actual question at hand, $100 seems like a lot for just Snapchat, but you’ll get use of the internet besides that so why not. I always get the VOOM package because I do a lot of Instagram stories and periscoping, plus iMessage and email and FB, Netflix, etc. I just keep up with my social media on a cruise like I would anywhere else. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My older son bought the package and is going to charge his brother 5$ each time he wants to borrow it for Snapchat!!

That’s hilarious!! What a good idea [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always print out a message, put it in a bottle and throw it overboard. Technically, you still sent something each day, it just might take a while to get to the recipient

This is great idea-except I’m sure there is some crazy fine if you get caught throwing something off the boat. And what bottle to use? Plastic seems most durable, but glass is traditional. And then I start to think about all the plastic in the ocean anyway and i would just feel guilty adding to that... it’s really a conundrum! Not even considering the bottle leaking! By the time it made it to your friend it would just be a mess of wet paper and ink. Completely illegible. Thank you for reminding me to be grateful for my challenges in life, at least I’m not faced with this dilemma! 😍🤷🏼*♀️

We go on cruises, so we can get away from our phones. We lock them up in the room once we get there, and never look at them the entire time.

Wish I could, but like others who have posted I run my own business, so there is no such thing as a true disconnected vacation. Fortunately I can usually limit mine to checking email a couple times a day, usually in the morning and then maybe the afternoon, depending on how many drinks I have had . . .