A question for the "old school" cruisers

I was REALLY happy with these prices:

- 11/18/2017 Independence 5-night E2 balcony $350pp before taxes/port fees

- 10/28/2018 Allure 7-night BW balcony $529pp before taxes/port fees, $50pp OBC and BW Perks (free soda pkg, Johnny Rockets)

~ Judy

Great price for Allure. I guess the Indy price is too but I'm not packing up and getting on a plane for a 5 night cruise. Seven nights is the minimum length I would consider.

Unfortunately the autumn months are out of the question for me. I'm the physician for a football team and I spend all of those weekends walking the sideline.

Great price for Allure. I guess the Indy price is too but I'm not packing up and getting on a plane for a 5 night cruise. Seven nights is the minimum length I would consider.

Unfortunately the autumn months are out of the question for me. I'm the physician for a football team and I spend all of those weekends walking the sideline.

I understand where you’re coming from. With most of my cruises over the last 10 years, I was at the mercy of my grandson’s school schedule. This meant booking triple occupancy cabins at peak times.

Fortunately for us, no air fare was involved.

~ Judy

An ongoing complaint on cruise critic is that cruising just isn't "what it used to be" 20-30 years ago.

To that, I ask, what were you paying 20-30 years ago during those "good old days?"

According to the US government, $900 in 1988 has the same buying power as about $1,900 in January 2018.

In 2018 dollars, you can get a 7 night OV balcony cabin on on Oasis class ship for 2 adults at about that $1,900 price point. Maybe lower, maybe higher, sure, but let's use $1,900 as our example.

That being said, what were you paying in 1988 for a 7 night OV balcony cabin on the "latest and greatest" cruise ship for 2 adults? Was it more or less than $900? If so, how much more or less?

I think the answer to this question will put some things into perspective.

My first cruise was back in 1971 onboard Home Lines Oceanic. My husband seems to remember our tiny cabin costing $800 while I remember it as $1800. After seeing our initial cabin, we had paid to upgrade from an interior to one with a tiny porthole.

Either way, on the surface, it seems a substantial sum back then compared to today's prices. Adjusted for inflation, that $800 would be $4896 in today’s economy. However, you also have to adjust your income accordingly and factor in other items. In 1971, our careers were nowhere near what our future earning potential would bring. And how many of us made smart investments than well out-paced inflation indexes, giving us more disposable income in our later years?

So perhaps the majority of us on this thread can afford to pay more today than we did 20-30 (or 40+) years ago, and we may take advantage of that by booking more expensive cabins and/or cruising more often, but are we the demographic Royal’s marketing is targeting? Today’s pricing is geared to make cruising more attractable than land vacations to young families.

While this has resulted in the decline of the quality of the food over the years, I feel it is more than compensated by the quality and quantity of venues, activities and entertainment on today's modern cruise ships. Even if you choose to opt for specialty restaurants and other upgrades, mainstream cruises are still cheaper than they were decades ago and offer a great value for the mass market demographics at which they are being aimed as well as those of us who remember “the good old days”.

IMG_1519935533.747142.thumb.jpg.95f83c7200ab3b6ef927e76971e8046a.jpg

~ Judy

IMG_1519935434.429357.thumb.jpg.f35ee02c8b569575f9a0558028fbfa51.jpg

IMG_1519935454.053572.thumb.jpg.dade4cec5ea6557253f215c8d8e9bc99.jpg

IMG_1519935498.812523.thumb.jpg.efe61665a27b702d987c9066d83e9009.jpg

IMG_1519935511.129215.thumb.jpg.34d2c0c674a3a76799e8161fa143d2e6.jpg

My first cruise was back in 1971 onboard Home Lines Oceanic. My husband seems to remember our tiny cabin costing $800 while I remember it as $1800. After seeing our initial cabin, we had paid to upgrade from an interior to one with a tiny porthole.

Either way, on the surface, it seems a substantial sum back then compared to today's prices. Adjusted for inflation, that $800 would be $4896 in today’s economy. However, you also have to adjust your income accordingly and factor in other items. In 1971, our careers were nowhere near what our future earning potential would bring. And how many of us made smart investments than well out-paced inflation indexes, giving us more disposable income in our later years?

So perhaps the majority of us on this thread can afford to pay more today than we did 20-30 (or 40+) years ago, and we may take advantage of that by booking more expensive cabins and/or cruising more often, but are we the demographic Royal’s marketing is targeting? Today’s pricing is geared to make cruising more attractable than land vacations to young families.

While this has resulted in the decline of the quality of the food over the years, I feel it is more than compensated by the quality and quantity of venues, activities and entertainment on today's modern cruise ships. Even if you choose to opt for specialty restaurants and other upgrades, mainstream cruises are still cheaper than they were decades ago and offer a great value for the mass market demographics at which they are being aimed as well as those of us who remember “the good old days”.

~ Judy

WOW, look at that spread! Thanks for sharing!

I think you hit the nail on the head as to who Royal's target demographic is. They really have no desire to cater to the baby boomers that are so "loyal" to them. There's no point. "Loyal to Royal" is a very, very one-sided relationship. The Millenial generation is who they need to capture.

What team?

WOW, look at that spread! Thanks for sharing!

I trust you’re referring to the buffet and not my butt! :') I can’t say the years have been kind to either. ;p

Notice how many crew they have serving?

On the flip side, notice any balconies on the ship? I’m sure they must have had a few balcony suites back then (probably near the top) but hard to tell from the picture.

~ Judy

I didn't say there are no bargains. I said I have not paid as little as the amount specified. I know where I want to cruise from, where I want to cruise to, when I want to do it, as well as the type of cabin I want to cruise in. Some people seem to assume that we are all paying bargain prices and, therefore, should expect bargain service and food.

Our last Oasis was an OV balcony for $1380 all in

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I trust you’re referring to the buffet and not my butt! :') I can’t say the years have been kind to either. ;p

Notice how many crew they have serving?

On the flip side, notice any balconies on the ship? I’m sure they must have had a few balcony suites back then (probably near the top) but hard to tell from the picture.

~ Judy

Haha, too funny.

Those pictures were really fun to see, thanks again for sharing.

Well, I see some itineraries on Symphony and Harmony about $500 more expensive than I paid when I first sailed on Allure five years ago (same season, same ports, same cabin), and we are not getting the same service that we experienced some years ago. But on the other hand I see some itineraries on smaller ships at very low prices. So I think that Oasis class passengers are subsidizing other ships.

Well, I see some itineraries on Symphony and Harmony about $500 more expensive than I paid when I first sailed on Allure five years ago (same season, same ports, same cabin), and we are not getting the same service that we experienced some years ago. But on the other hand I see some itineraries on smaller ships at very low prices. So I think that Oasis class passengers are subsidizing other ships.

Supply and demand.

I'm the physician for the local school district and H.S. football team.

Very nice. Good luck to your team. One year while on a river boat tour in Paris I met the team physician for my college alma mater. I thought, now what are the odds of that. We chatted for quite a while with him and his family as we took in the sights.

What I remember of my cruises in 1996 aboard the RCCL Nordic Empress in the Caribbean in the interior category paid $120 PPPD, For the next March 18 we go in the Eclipse in Veranda 2C to $147 PPPD, For the Silhouette in March 2019 in Veranda 2B $178 and for the B2B2B Eclipse Vancover Hawaii Vancouver LA in October 2019 $239 PPPD, it is difficult to make a comparison.

What I can add is that on the cruises of 1996 at lunch, the day of the boarding, there were king crab legs on the buffet, right now finding them is like if you got the lottery.

FloridaPalms,

Thanks for the pics! Look at the bow on the ship, so graceful and classic.

Graceful and classic yes, but I much prefer the helipads on Royal’s ships over the cranes on this.

And I definitely prefer today’s modern lifeboats and tenders over these!

IMG_1519951316.298898.thumb.jpg.5e9b32dc938da08a006b633a399e9252.jpg

~ Judy

Including gratuities? If so, I paid about $400 more for a mid deck 8 OV balcony. I thought I got a good deal...but not as good as yours!

No gratuities, but included taxes. We were on deck 6 just past the aft elevators. Very convenient location. This was in January and was booked while on Oasis in December

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

What I remember of my cruises in 1996 aboard the RCCL Nordic Empress in the Caribbean in the interior category paid $120 PPPD, For the next March 18 we go in the Eclipse in Veranda 2C to $147 PPPD, For the Silhouette in March 2019 in Veranda 2B $178 and for the B2B2B Eclipse Vancover Hawaii Vancouver LA in October 2019 $239 PPPD, it is difficult to make a comparison.

What I can add is that on the cruises of 1996 at lunch, the day of the boarding, there were king crab legs on the buffet, right now finding them is like if you got the lottery.

I remember stone crab claws in the buffet on our Disney 2007 cruise. I also remember it remains our most expensive cruise to date.

Dividing the total by the 3 of us per night came to $274 PPPN for a navigator (cheapest) balcony. :eek: Nothing I’ve sailed on Royal, for 3 of us together in balconies or junior suites, even comes close with the most being $174 PPPN. That price difference will sure buy a lot of crab legs and crab claws back on land.

~ Judy

Plenty of discussion on how cruising used to be and on former drink prices too (including by me). Just read the thread. Of course topics of inflation and prices and the features now compared to then come in to play. It is all part of the equation.

I don’t think anyone here is a suck up to anyone to point out the realities of the current products relative to the old days. Before you allow yourself to feel like you were slapped in the face perhaps you should read some of the prior posts by me and others in this thread. Many involve what cruising used to be like. However, the OP started this thread with a topic and people talking economics is only natural given the way the thread was started. I don’t see how you could be shocked by this after reading the OPs opening comments/question.

I did read the thread, and I noticed that some people actually responded about what they used to like. One was a fantastic story that I tried replying to but waited too long to hit submit, so it was not posted.

And yes, the thread was a slap in the face because the title looks like a simple, inquisitive post that will bring up nostalgic conversations. But after clicking the link and reading the first line, it immediately went into criticisms on anyone who dare not recognize the awesomeness and vast improvements :rolleyes: of today's experience vs the past. Not only that, but the OP and if I remember correctly, yourself as well, made it a point to respond to anyone who dare speak against any nickle and dime tactics by reminding them of more then vs now costs.

If that is what the thread was intended to be about, don't say "I you have a question." It wasn't a question...it was a challenge, pure and simple. To immediately go into 'how it's really cheaper now,' is not looking for an answer, it's a person with their mind made up defending their view. Title the thread with what you really want to say, "Take a look at how cruising today costs less than the old days." Then if people want to debate because feel the new way of cruising has less value, so be it. But why pretend you actually were looking for some sort of inside look on what the wonderful days of old were like??

I did read the thread, and I noticed that some people actually responded about what they used to like. One was a fantastic story that I tried replying to but waited too long to hit submit, so it was not posted.

And yes, the thread was a slap in the face because the title looks like a simple, inquisitive post that will bring up nostalgic conversations. But after clicking the link and reading the first line, it immediately went into criticisms on anyone who dare not recognize the awesomeness and vast improvements :rolleyes: of today's experience vs the past. Not only that, but the OP and if I remember correctly, yourself as well, made it a point to respond to anyone who dare speak against any nickle and dime tactics by reminding them of more then vs now costs.

If that is what the thread was intended to be about, don't say "I you have a question." It wasn't a question...it was a challenge, pure and simple. To immediately go into 'how it's really cheaper now,' is not looking for an answer, it's a person with their mind made up defending their view. Title the thread with what you really want to say, "Take a look at how cruising today costs less than the old days." Then if people want to debate because feel the new way of cruising has less value, so be it. But why pretend you actually were looking for some sort of inside look on what the wonderful days of old were like??

I didn’t start the thread and I’m not looking for anything. Just expressing my opinion and providing my view for others to consider. I think cruising is great now so that is just how I feel and I really don’t care if anyone agrees with me or not. I also think it used to be great in a different way and I expressed that in a few of my posts. As I said I would love to sail on the Norway again. My first cruise was nearly 40 years ago so I have seen a lot of change.

As with anything, to quote billy Joel “the good old days weren’t all that good.” If we really talked the old days we’d be talking about the class system of cruising which would bring us full circle to what some complain about now (suite lounges, poor food unless you pay more for specialty restaurants, etc). Go figure.

Best to you in your future cruises.

As with anything, to quote billy Joel “the good old days weren’t all that good.” If we really talked the old days we’d be talking about the class system of cruising which would bring us full circle to what some complain about now (suite lounges, poor food unless you pay more for specialty restaurants, etc). Go figure.

Best to you in your future cruises.

I feel the same way.

My first cruise was in 1988. We had very little money but wanted to blow our savings on a bus tour of US and Canada. A US cruise with flights was cheaper than flights alone so we booked the cruise as part of the package. Inside cabin with very few frills but the dinning experience was first class as was the whole cruise. We were hooked after that. A lot of Nostalgia attached to this and subsequent cruises.

Since then, there have been bigger and better ships with more to do. Ice skating shows, promenade deck, Aquatheatre, all kinds of things that make cruises a million times better. I miss the standard of service in MDR but I keep cruising with RCI because in other areas if offers so much more.

We used to consider RCI to be head and shoulders above other lines in same price bracket. Now competition has got more tough. In terms of innovation and novelty features it is ahead of the pack IMO. In some areas, it has lost ground and indistinguishable from other lines. That's fine with me as I like trying different brands and enjoying the differences.