A question for the "old school" cruisers

Yeah the start of Reagan yrs we got big raises. 11.7% in 1981, 14.7% in 1982. Pay I was quoting I was E-5 at time... My first month pay as E-1 was $392 bring home.

When I joined military pay was so low had friends with families that were on Food Stamps. Now you can actually survive and be considered Middle Class while serving...

They needed to do raises after draft ended, pay started going up shortly after I got out , your e1 was about 300 more than mine

All examples of a company clearly cutting costs.

I'd say more so prioritizing costs. If I were to take a wild guess, I'd assume that the majority of people on these ships (not the majority of people on this website) would rather have the bells and whistles over quality food, if they had to choose. Again, if I were to guess, that's probably the feedback they receive from those surveys.

The reality is that the cruise industry is setting themselves up for the millennial generation. That demographic is OK with eating crappy food as long as the ship was the WOW factor.

From a business perspective, it makes sense. There's no point in working to keep the 65 and over crowd happy. At the end of the day, locking in the 35 and under crowd NOW rather than later will be a far greater return on investment.

Insert sarcasm font here. Yeah that is why they keep adding more and more free features like mini golf, rock climbing, flowrider (very expensive to operate), zip line, aqua theater, bumper cars, sky dive simulator, carousel, etc etc.

All examples of a company clearly cutting costs.

I didn't say that they are attempting to run garbage scowels. But they will attempt to cut back on service and food costs as well as increase fees and charges as much as they can get away with. People are experincing it. It is a constant theme on these boards.

And though you felt the need to insert your sarcasm font, I won't bother inserting an eye roll at you.

I didn't say that they are attempting to run garbage scowels. But they will attempt to cut back on service and food costs as well as increase fees and charges as much as they can get away with. People are experincing it. It is a constant theme

Exactly! Think about specialty dining increases but getting rid of the assistant waiters. Of course service suffers. Food has become more like Golden Corral than back when your Caesar salad was prepared at your table side and cherries jubilee was served flaming. They try to do more with fewer staff and cut food cost to the bone. Keep your flow rider and miniature golf and bring back the cruise experience of the past.

Now, excuse me, but I have to pack for my cruise on Friday. (And that's why they keep cutting... We all keep cruising. )

(And that's why they keep cutting... We all keep cruising. )

And what would be your breaking point? What would it take to cause you to abandon RC FOR GOOD? If they axed the main dining room altogether and went buffet only style, would you deal with it? What about smaller cabins? Or would you continue to cruise no matter what happens?

And what would be your breaking point? What would it take to cause you to abandon RC FOR GOOD? If they axed the main dining room altogether and went buffet only style, would you deal with it? What about smaller cabins? Or would you continue to cruise no matter what happens?

We usually book an inside cabin and it could be smaller . (We only sleep and shower there.) And we gave up on the MDR a year or 18 months ago and only eat in the Windjammer and specialty dining. My breaking point is if I can no longer find a deal. 9 nights for $489 and obc will keep me cruising.

We usually book an inside cabin and it could be smaller . (We only sleep and shower there.) And we gave up on the MDR a year or 18 months ago and only eat in the Windjammer and specialty dining. My breaking point is if I can no longer find a deal. 9 nights for $489 and obc will keep me cruising.

I think you just summed it up for the cruise line bean counters. You'll accept any and all cuts as long as you can score what you deem to be a deal. Same route the airlines took. And people keep flying.

I think you just summed it up for the cruise line bean counters. You'll accept any and all cuts as long as you can score what you deem to be a deal. Same route the airlines took. And people keep flying.

Well people have to fly to get places quickly. Cruising is a choice not a necessity.

And if his breaking point is 50 a night to cruise with an obc what really can be expected. A room on a floating resort and all the entertainment and food you can eat. Clearly no one is getting high end food and high end service for that price. For the price I think the food is very good actually.

At least now the cruises can be had for cheap and you can pay extra for better dining options. It really is a good problem to have I think. Unlike many who have to fly, we all have a choice when it comes to cruising.

I didn't say that they are attempting to run garbage scowels. But they will attempt to cut back on service and food costs as well as increase fees and charges as much as they can get away with. People are experincing it. It is a constant theme on these boards.

And though you felt the need to insert your sarcasm font, I won't bother inserting an eye roll at you.

Well you did say they want to offer us as little as possible for as much as possible. If that is so they would just have pools or slides and not flowriders or ice skating rinks. So I disagree, hence the sarcasm. I don’t mind if you roll your eyes, I take no exception to that.

We are all entitled to our opinions and reactions but one thing is clear, rcl doesn’t just try to offer as little as possible. In fact the only place I see cost cutting is perhaps in lower food quality and/or service but that is subjective and hard to know for sure how drastic it really is in reality.

Rcl invests a ton in innovative entertainment (ice skating shows, aqua theater, etc etc. among other things) and name me another line that does those things. No one has an aqua theater. Rcl doesn’t just try to reduce costs. They purposefully spend money to get and keep customers (ex. Diamond happy hours). And customers pay a premium for this on their newer class ships. I guess some of what they spend money on doesn’t interest all but they do embed a lot of costs to improve the cruise experiences of passengers. So to say they want to offer as little as possible just isn’t accurate.

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!

I've cruised since 1977 and yes things are different now but then again "the past is a different country". The differences I notice is that as the ships have gotten bigger, service and food quality has gone down. That doesn't mean the food or service is bad, just not what it was back in the day.

The reason why cruising is cheaper today is because of economy of scale. The larger ships carry more passengers thus make for money for the cruise lines. The CLs have figured this out which is why the ships keep getting bigger and bigger.

To be honest, while I sometimes long for old days, today's cruising is pretty good. The food and service isn't bad these day, you can do as much stuff and have as much fun as you can stand. It all depends what you want to do.

My wife and I will sometimes grab a cheap inside cabin and just chill for a week coming home with a 0 balance on our account. No drinks, no excursions, no gambling. Sometimes on those we don't even get off the ship in port. It was cheaper than staying in hotel for a week, not to mention the meals and entertainment.

We've also booked a suite and/or balcony for special occasions and did whatever we wanted. It's nice to be able to do it either way.

Only 4 million? Ok, so now I understand why they can't provide better quality pizza...:eek:

Ocean Boy - I see that 'Bad Pizza' is still on your mind. I hope for your sake it improves...

( PS: This NY girl very much dislikes crummy pizza too....)

I can’t add to the cruise price discussion, but I do have a price point for airfare. I flew round trip from Tucson to San Juan in May 1987 coach class on Eastern Airlines. We had a very nice dinner, Chicken Kiev I believe. The ticket price was $1300.

For my November 2016 cruise, Tucson to San Juan round trip business class was $860. The meal was much better in 1987, but 2016 had no smokers on the plane. Baggage claim in San Juan was equally slow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've cruised since 1977 and yes things are different now but then again "the past is a different country". The differences I notice is that as the ships have gotten bigger, service and food quality has gone down. That doesn't mean the food or service is bad, just not what it was back in the day.

The reason why cruising is cheaper today is because of economy of scale. The larger ships carry more passengers thus make for money for the cruise lines. The CLs have figured this out which is why the ships keep getting bigger and bigger.

To be honest, while I sometimes long for old days, today's cruising is pretty good. The food and service isn't bad these day, you can do as much stuff and have as much fun as you can stand. It all depends what you want to do.

My wife and I will sometimes grab a cheap inside cabin and just chill for a week coming home with a 0 balance on our account. No drinks, no excursions, no gambling. Sometimes on those we don't even get off the ship in port. It was cheaper than staying in hotel for a week, not to mention the meals and entertainment.

We've also booked a suite and/or balcony for special occasions and did whatever we wanted. It's nice to be able to do it either way.

Is it economies of scale? Maybe but the ships are way (and I mean way) more expensive now. So that number of passengers is needed just to pay back the billions they spend to buy the ships. So that really isn’t an economies of scale issue to me. Now if they bought multiple ships and got them cheaper due to how many they purchased that would be a different matter.

I have another possibility to add to that. Fuel inflation has been quite minimal over the past 20-30 years. Add to that minimal inflation in labor costs for cruise lines and perhaps that has a little to do with it as well. Then add in the impact of a good old American principle called competition which keeps prices down to some extent. There are many variables in play but these are a few I’m guessing.

Wow! Gullible me for thinking this thread was actually someone wanting to ask a question to old school cruisers. Was slapped in the face to see it was a cruise line suck up only here to tell everyone to realize how much better the cruise industry is today and breaking down prices and inflation rates. How dare anyone actually yearn for the good times and relaxed atmosphere of all-inclusive vacations.

Amazing I didn't see anything in these price comparisons about the cost of drinks...that alone can almost double the cruise cost. Or the facts that (some) ships charge for movie theater now, and as someone else mentioned, the upsell is annoying....actually ANY sell. If I've paid a price for a vacation, I understand some extras will be offered. But I don't need every meal to have someone stopping by to try to talk me into shots or mimosas, every extra I buy isn't good enough...also have to be offered a package.

Wow! Gullible me for thinking this thread was actually someone wanting to ask a question to old school cruisers. Was slapped in the face to see it was a cruise line suck up only here to tell everyone to realize how much better the cruise industry is today and breaking down prices and inflation rates. How dare anyone actually yearn for the good times and relaxed atmosphere of all-inclusive vacations.

Amazing I didn't see anything in these price comparisons about the cost of drinks...that alone can almost double the cruise cost. Or the facts that (some) ships charge for movie theater now, and as someone else mentioned, the upsell is annoying....actually ANY sell. If I've paid a price for a vacation, I understand some extras will be offered. But I don't need every meal to have someone stopping by to try to talk me into shots or mimosas, every extra I buy isn't good enough...also have to be offered a package.

Your shots/mimosas complaint is interesting because that is definitely something from the good old days.

Remember the trays of after dinner drinks? 😉

And the really funny thing is folks miss that. 😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Plenty of discussion on how cruising used to be and on former drink prices too (including by me). Just read the thread. Of course topics of inflation and prices and the features now compared to then come in to play. It is all part of the equation.

I don’t think anyone here is a suck up to anyone to point out the realities of the current products relative to the old days. Before you allow yourself to feel like you were slapped in the face perhaps you should read some of the prior posts by me and others in this thread. Many involve what cruising used to be like. However, the OP started this thread with a topic and people talking economics is only natural given the way the thread was started. I don’t see how you could be shocked by this after reading the OPs opening comments/question.

Your shots/mimosas complaint is interesting because that is definitely something from the good old days.

Remember the trays of after dinner drinks? 😉

And the really funny thing is folks miss that. 😱

And actually the bartenders were all over everyone constantly to buy drinks. It was non stop by the pools like it or not. There was plenty of selling going on. They pushed video tapes of the cruises for a while, photos, etc. oh, and the bingo announcements constantly. People forget a lot of it I guess as they only remember the good things.

And actually the bartenders were all over everyone constantly to buy drinks. It was non stop by the pools like it or not. There was plenty of selling going on. They pushed video tapes of the cruises for a while, photos, etc. oh, and the bingo announcements constantly. People forget a lot of it I guess as they only remember the good things.

You may be right that people tend to only remember the good from the past and all the things you mention above are very accurate. I tend to prefer present day cruising. I may seem a little jaded as just coming off Allure, though we had a great cruise, I found the food disappointing and I am no foody type person. And though I certainly did not go hungry, many meals there just wasn't much that was memorable or even good. I ate a lot of pasta that week. That is very different from past cruises. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe what I simply need to expect for future cruises. I will see what the experience is like on Freedom in April.

As I have said in the past, the service provided meets my meeds. The cabin is kept up well and the bartenders make me a drink when I want one. They still quickly learn what I like and get it ready for me when they see me coming.:)

Cruises line are in business to make money.

Passengers (most of them) want cheap cruise prices.

So the meeting is in reduced services and food quality. If you want cruising like the old days, go to the luxury lines. And you will pay prices similar to the old days, adjusted for inflation.

Nickel and dimeing come from lines trying to reduce the cruise price as much as possible. To attract more customers.

And it works. Same with low cost airlines.

It amazes me that people are happy to pay $500 per person for a 5 - 7 night cruise, and then complain about the food. REALLY????

Cruises line are in business to make money.

Passengers (most of them) want cheap cruise prices.

So the meeting is in reduced services and food quality. If you want cruising like the old days, go to the luxury lines. And you will pay prices similar to the old days, adjusted for inflation.

Nickel and dimeing come from lines trying to reduce the cruise price as much as possible. To attract more customers.

And it works. Same with low cost airlines.

It amazes me that people are happy to pay $500 per person for a 5 - 7 night cruise, and then complain about the food. REALLY????

AMEN, brother! Can I get a witness?

Book a cruise out of the Gulf or SJ. Lots of bargains there.

I didn't say there are no bargains. I said I have not paid as little as the amount specified. I know where I want to cruise from, where I want to cruise to, when I want to do it, as well as the type of cabin I want to cruise in. Some people seem to assume that we are all paying bargain prices and, therefore, should expect bargain service and food.

I'd be really happy to pay $500 per person. It has never happened.

I was REALLY happy with these prices:

- 11/18/2017 Independence 5-night E2 balcony $350pp before taxes/port fees

- 10/28/2018 Allure 7-night BW balcony $529pp before taxes/port fees, $50pp OBC and BW Perks (free soda pkg, Johnny Rockets)

Yes, these are bargain prices. And, while I still do not expect bargain service and food, I don’t expect gourmet food either.

~ Judy