Cost Comparisons

eliana

Marc,

Your criteria are well below what we Brits have to pay for Regent cruises.

Maybe it was because you were on a 63 day cruise.

There are bargain trips. Last December Hong Kong to Beijing 12 nights was reportedly offered in Europe for 2799 euros; possibly similar price in UK. Upcoming Bali to Hong Kong on Voyager was offered at $4876 in Hong Kong market (and maybe elsewhere).

It is real hard to do apples to apples comparison; Drib is probably best at price analysis.

Marc

I have noticed on many itineraries that Explorer fares are higher than on the other ships. This may be the case with Splendor as well when her itineraries come out.

Greetings Travelcat2. Most of our cruise ideas originate with me because DH thinks that 50+ cruises are enough. So, what happens is I look at options like cruises on Riviera, for example. The PHs are lovely, and the walk-in closets are similar to a dressing room, as long as you prop the door open. When I ask DH what he thinks, he says that as long as it's on Explorer, it will be OK. In the end, we both really enjoy ourselves. In fact, the idea of on board booking often originates with DH.

A fan of Riviera, I recently compared a TA on her going to Barcelona and one on Explorer ending in Lisbon. When I added up all the extras we would pay on O, the prices got pretty close. Explorer won. Too bad the only airline flying from Lisbon to here is TAP. Nothing's perfect.

Mary

Greetings Travelcat2. Most of our cruise ideas originate with me because DH thinks that 50+ cruises are enough. So, what happens is I look at options like cruises on Riviera, for example. The PHs are lovely, and the walk-in closets are similar to a dressing room, as long as you prop the door open. When I ask DH what he thinks, he says that as long as it's on Explorer, it will be OK. In the end, we both really enjoy ourselves. In fact, the idea of on board booking often originates with DH.

A fan of Riviera, I recently compared a TA on her going to Barcelona and one on Explorer ending in Lisbon. When I added up all the extras we would pay on O, the prices got pretty close. Explorer won. Too bad the only airline flying from Lisbon to here is TAP. Nothing's perfect.

Mary

Hi Mary! Like you, most of our cruise ideas start with me. We have sailed on Oceania's Riviera in a PH suite and in a Vista suite. We find the ship to be amazing, but do not care for the food in some of the dining venues. We ended up spending about the same amount as we do on Regent because we had to upgrade to higher suites in order to come close to matching what we have on Regent (plus adding the premium alcohol package, etc.).

Agree with your DH - as long as it is the Explorer, I'm happy. After four Explorer cruises the first year she was launched, we went to the Mariner and now have two cruises this year on Voyager. Finally, starting a year from now, we have three Explorer cruises booked. Unless there is a very unique itinerary, we will stay with the Explorer. I'm sure that Splendor will be amazing but she will likely be too crowded and expensive when she is launched in 2020.

Not familiar with TAP airlines but there are definitely places which are challenges to get to for us (Santiago, Chile being one - we have to book a flight there and the choices are not great. Hoping that Regent will allow us to book Air Canada without too much of an uncharge. We would rather pay an uncharge than fly with the options that are available.

There are still good pricing on certain itineraries but they book up quickly. Our Amazon cruise was priced amazingly well as is a sailing in 2020 that is currently on hold).

For those of you reading the thread, keep in mind that sometimes booking your own air one way is advantageous. You can receive a 50% air credit for doing this (not sure if this is done outside of the U.S. and Canada). Also, look into your own flights - occasionally the air credit is higher than the cost of the flight on the same airline that Regent uses. We saved $3,500 by booking our own Cathay Pacific flights. In my opinion, that is quite a savings!

Mary, when is your next cruise (and what is the itinerary)?

There are bargain trips. Last December Hong Kong to Beijing 12 nights was reportedly offered in Europe for 2799 euros; possibly similar price in UK. Upcoming Bali to Hong Kong on Voyager was offered at $4876 in Hong Kong market (and maybe elsewhere).

It is real hard to do apples to apples comparison; Drib is probably best at price analysis.

Marc

Marc, what is Drib?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except for unique itineraries my goal is $300 per person per day for sea days and $400 for port days. I subtract out air, sss and onboard discounts, credit for land programs, TA rebates, and SBC from total cost.

Obviously itineraries such as Baltic or Australia circumnavigation don’t meet this criteria but I was able to match for 63 day cruise on voyager last year.

Marc

Marc, if u don’t mind me asking- the amounts listed - what cabin category are these for?

Hi Mary! Like you, most of our cruise ideas start with me. We have sailed on Oceania's Riviera in a PH suite and in a Vista suite. We find the ship to be amazing, but do not care for the food in some of the dining venues. We ended up spending about the same amount as we do on Regent because we had to upgrade to higher suites in order to come close to matching what we have on Regent (plus adding the premium alcohol package, etc.).

Agree with your DH - as long as it is the Explorer, I'm happy. After four Explorer cruises the first year she was launched, we went to the Mariner and now have two cruises this year on Voyager. Finally, starting a year from now, we have three Explorer cruises booked. Unless there is a very unique itinerary, we will stay with the Explorer. I'm sure that Splendor will be amazing but she will likely be too crowded and expensive when she is launched in 2020.

Not familiar with TAP airlines but there are definitely places which are challenges to get to for us (Santiago, Chile being one - we have to book a flight there and the choices are not great. Hoping that Regent will allow us to book Air Canada without too much of an uncharge. We would rather pay an uncharge than fly with the options that are available.

There are still good pricing on certain itineraries but they book up quickly. Our Amazon cruise was priced amazingly well as is a sailing in 2020 that is currently on hold).

For those of you reading the thread, keep in mind that sometimes booking your own air one way is advantageous. You can receive a 50% air credit for doing this (not sure if this is done outside of the U.S. and Canada). Also, look into your own flights - occasionally the air credit is higher than the cost of the flight on the same airline that Regent uses. We saved $3,500 by booking our own Cathay Pacific flights. In my opinion, that is quite a savings!

Mary, when is your next cruise (and what is the itinerary)?

Travelcat2, our next cruise is Explorer's Spring 2019 TA, Miami to Lisbon. We enjoy TAs, and really like the ports. Even Bermuda, where I have visited 10+ times, is so pretty we always find something nice to see. This post will be short because our Chihuahuas are hungry and telling me as only this breed can. Have to spare the neighbors.

Mary

Marc, if u don’t mind me asking- the amounts listed - what cabin category are these for?

I always try to book Cat H; although I have been talked into an F2 for next Explorer cruise.

I just saw that last leg of World Cruise Rio to LA 25 nights on Navigator is still selling Cat H guarantee for $9699 after air credit. Subtracting SSS (if available), onboard booking, rebate, and SBC, easily gets to under $9K for 25 nights.

Marc, what is Drib?

Drib is a who here on Cruise Critic that is always crunching numbers. He often shows up after the quartly price changes to highlight cruises that have gone up or down in price. Search his name and you'll see his posts.

Me I'm a spreadsheet person too.

But you have to start with your qualitative evaluation factors (stuff that makes a better experience for you) Rank them in order --

Is it an embarkation or debarkation?

Is it a ship (voyager over navigator)

Is it a line? (Regent over Silverseas)

Is it a particular port?

Is it cabin size? (ensure you compare similar cabins where possible)

It is time in a port to see a couple of key places?

Then where is the tipping point where the cost (quantitative) outweighs qualitative factors?

Then put every possible cost (quantitative factors) plus your qualtitative factors on a spreadsheet

Then run your factors in order -- say give each factor on each line a score from 1-5.

Run the totals of factors -- compare to cost.

Pick

(and yes, I do a fair bit of contract evaluation as part of my day job).

And keep in mind you may do all this analysis and because it's just you, say -- you know, I'm going to do #3 anyway.

FYI - if it's just a regent cruise -- I don't do all of this

My factors are in order:

Area of the world

Length (still a working stiff -- these 64 day cruises are not yet for me)

Ports and port time -- I'm using the ship to get places I want to see, the ship is not the destination

Base Per Diem cost -- (I'm not ready for that $1000/d/p cruise)

If I find it acceptable -- is the hubby on board (he has veto) If yes -- do we say yes to the cruise?

It's a long process for us.

Edited by IndiTravler
typo

Drib is a who here on Cruise Critic that is always crunching numbers. He often shows up after the quartly price changes to highlight cruises that have gone up or down in price. Search his name and you'll see his posts.

Me I'm a spreadsheet person too.

But you have to start with your qualitative evaluation factors (stuff that makes a better experience for you) Rank them in order --

Is it an embarkation or debarkation?

Is it a ship (voyager over navigator)

Is it a line? (Regent over Silverseas)

Is it a particular port?

Is it cabin size? (ensure you compare similar cabins where possible)

It is time in a port to see a couple of key places?

Then where is the tipping point where the cost (quantitative) outweighs qualitative factors?

Then put every possible cost (quantitative factors) plus your qualtitative factors on a spreadsheet

Then run your factors in order -- say give each factor on each line a score from 1-5.

Run the totals of factors -- compare to cost.

Pick

(and yes, I do a fair bit of contract evaluation as part of my day job).

And keep in mind you may do all this analysis and because it's just you, say -- you know, I'm going to do #3 anyway.

FYI - if it's just a regent cruise -- I don't do all of this

My factors are in order:

Area of the world

Length (still a working stiff -- these 64 day cruises are not yet for me)

Ports and port time -- I'm using the ship to get places I want to see, the ship is not the destination

Base Per Diem cost -- (I'm not ready for that $1000/d/p cruise)

If I find it acceptable -- is the hubby on board (he has veto) If yes -- do we say yes to the cruise?

It's a long process for us.

I love your post! Probably because it is similar to us/our position in a number of ways [emoji6] in addition we have NZD as oppose to USD - and that makes for an extra challenge [emoji6]

PS could not find Drib ad there is no exact match and there are few others who may be him but with different names, oh well - spreadsheet it is! :)

Edited by Kiwifromkiev

Travelcat2, our next cruise is Explorer's Spring 2019 TA, Miami to Lisbon. We enjoy TAs, and really like the ports. Even Bermuda, where I have visited 10+ times, is so pretty we always find something nice to see. This post will be short because our Chihuahuas are hungry and telling me as only this breed can. Have to spare the neighbors.

Mary

We like TA's too. We are on the Voyager in November, 2018 and Explorer in 2019. Your Chihuahuas sound like our kitties!

Jackie

I love your post! Probably because it is similar to us/our position in a number of ways [emoji6] in addition we have NZD as oppose to USD - and that makes for an extra challenge [emoji6]

PS could not find Drib ad there is no exact match and there are few others who may be him but with different names, oh well - spreadsheet it is! :)

Here's a link to drib's last post: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55343978&postcount=11. Hope this helps.

Glad I could be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh my God, this is just me and I might get flamed but if I had to do all that to go on a vacation I'd sooner stay home. I simply call my TA, tell him when I want to travel, where I'd like to go and have him give me options. Then I decide and let him do all the work. Again, this is jmo.

Well to each his own. I love planning these things, and sometimes find myself scheming away, several years in advance, in an attempt to pitch some trip or other. These techniques help me to look at them rationally, not emotionally.

Fantastic reply, thank you [emoji4][emoji4][emoji106]

Thanks, glad I could help.

Finally ... I always wanted to be a Jeopardy! response!

So this may be an inopportune to mention this, but I am discontinuing the subscription service from my Fare Compare page. There will be one last update and mailing on March 1, or thereabouts. I've already disabled the subscription box because one of my issues is that I have too many subscribers! (My cheap host server can only send out 100 emails per hour, so it takes almost a whole day to complete a cycle - and although it's mostly automated, I like to monitor it to make sure I'm not spamming anyone by mistake.)

Also on March 1, or thereabouts, I'll post my findings on CC on the same old threads. But going forward, I'm not sure if I will update my site at all, so I will make no promises about that.

Another issue I have is that I'm expecting our grandchild population to quadruple in the next year or two. (It's in the water.) The only cruises I'll book in the future are less than six months out, and they may well be on Disney. So I don't have as much incentive for planning cruises anymore - which I agree about with Wendy the Wanderer, that planning is not only important, but fun.

I most definitely will stop updating trips on Roll Call (the companion page, actually the original page, connected to Fare Compare) for Azamara, Sllversea and Seabourn. I'm sure they are fine lines, but I never booked them because I just don't think my wife and I will like the smaller ships. The remaining three lines, Crystal, Oceania and Regent, are almost fully automated, so I may continue updating them once a month until October 2018, when my cheap host will expire unless I renew. Or I may not. But all are welcome to keep using Roll Call and Fare Compare until then.

Again, bad timing, but I recently added a third page called Fare Search - you can find a link for it on Fare Compare - and it was intended to do, I think, the same thing Wendy describes above. Instead of comparing fares, it tries to answer the question "What can I get for X dollars." You enter a season (Winter, Spring ...), a Region (USA, UK ...), and a fare range, and it will get results from all three cruise lines. (Or you can not select a fare range, just don't set that, look at the results, get an idea about what is available, and then set a range that will yield results.)

As always, I appreciate your nice comments about the site. Many thanks. :D

Oh drib, my heart is broken - to finally find you only to be told you are leaving [emoji175] ;)

We like TA's too. We are on the Voyager in November, 2018 and Explorer in 2019. Your Chihuahuas sound like our kitties!

Jackie

Greetings from a quiet South Beach condo, Jackie. Our Chihuahuas are napping from the fatigue of eating breakfast. TAs sailing West are much more comfortable, as you know, and the flying is out of the way. DH likes the start in Miami because we are 25 minutes from home, so no luggage worries. If he were willing, I would switch to the later one. A few days in Lisbon before the cruise might be nice. We have heretofore only been day trippers on cruises there, and captives of taxi drivers trying to avoid traffic. Not too impressive.

If we were to switch, soon would be best. DH really enjoys having a butler, so we go for PHs. We booked our December Explorer's December 2017 Caribbean cruise while on board the TA. Even with eight months remaining before departure, the PH we were in, our first choice, was unavailable. We found something else, but with Explorer's popularity, one never knows. Such problems! How lucky we are that this stuff is what concerns us!

Mary

!

Well to each his own. I love planning these things, and sometimes find myself scheming away, several years in advance, in an attempt to pitch some trip or other. These techniques help me to look at them rationally, not emotionally.

Thanks, glad I could help.

Me too! I’m currently working on a trip with four variations each variation has multi page list of what is and isn’t in each variation. [emoji16]

Mary

We flew TAP a few years ago from Boston to the Azores. It was not a bad airline at all.

What are you taking into account?

Basically the items I listed above.

Embarkation and Debarkation locations are always most important as we tend to take time on one or both ends;

Ports and Port times rate are the next factor - are we going where we want to go and for enough time to see what we want to see;

Ensuring my minimum cabin size is met;

Ship size ensuring my minimum passenger public space ratio is met;

cruise length (we're working stiffs so in general, I mostly stick in the 10-14 day cruise range which when added to a few extra days on one end and travel days gives us a three week vacation)

Finally price -- the estimated per diem (after subtracting airfare and the pre-cruise night) - we aren't going to do $1000/p/night.

The top two are more important than price, but not the ship size. The cabin size is used to ensure apples to apples comparison on the price. (not a "From $X price).

Basically the items I listed above.

Embarkation and Debarkation locations are always most important as we tend to take time on one or both ends;

Ports and Port times rate are the next factor - are we going where we want to go and for enough time to see what we want to see;

Ensuring my minimum cabin size is met;

Ship size ensuring my minimum passenger public space ratio is met;

cruise length (we're working stiffs so in general, I mostly stick in the 10-14 day cruise range which when added to a few extra days on one end and travel days gives us a three week vacation)

Finally price -- the estimated per diem (after subtracting airfare and the pre-cruise night) - we aren't going to do $1000/p/night.

The top two are more important than price, but not the ship size. The cabin size is used to ensure apples to apples comparison on the price. (not a "From $X price).

Thank you, this is very helpful. If you hint mind me asking- what is your minimum public space ratio

And the cabin size? Thank you [emoji4]

Thank you, this is very helpful. If you hint mind me asking- what is your minimum public space ratio

And the cabin size? Thank you [emoji4]

Cabin Size: The "small" Mariner suite with balcony for a shorter port intensive cruse (I think it's around 275 sq feet). The "regular" Navigator suite with balcony for a longer cruise (that one is just over 300 sq feet). My husband and I seem incapable of packing light. Now when I travel solo, I'm ok with a smaller 200 sq foot cabin with a balcony.

Space ratio-- 35 on Princess Ship (the ones with a Riveria deck I won't touch) You can compare that the "tightest" Regent ship, Navigator" at 51. A pretty complete list is here: http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings. As you might imagine, I prefer Regent. But when traveling solo, it's too expensive

Minimum space requirements differs greatly - depending upon the person. I was happy in a regular suite on the Mariner but my DH was besides himself with such a small suite. We know of three people that stayed in a really small suite on Explorer (suites that many of us thought were being built for solo travelers) and were fine with it (at least they say they were but I noticed that on their next Explorer cruise they went for a larger suite).

The absolute minimum for me would be 300 square feet with a 50 square foot balcony (which coincidentally matches the regular suites on the Voyager and Navigator). On the other hand, what I am comfortable with is 500+ square feet with 1 1/2 baths.

There’s a deal advertised in the UK today on Voyager...7 nights for 371 GBP per diem including flights in a veranda suite and 542 GBP per diem in a penthouse suite including flights. 29 October in the Med. That’s a 31% discount. There are another 4 voyages with similar discounts.

It makes me wonder whether booking on board is worthwhile as my next cruise I booked on board has reduced to the same price I paid with all the discounts I got ( although not in this promotion).