Packing Questions

WVHillbilly

Packing for our first cruise, so I have a few questions.

1. I want to avoid being called to security to retrieve my bags. Should I pack my aluminum camera tripod and a aluminum telescopic cane in my ship checked baggage or in my carry on?

2. How early can you drop your bags with the porters? (ship sails at 4:30 pm) I'd like to drop my checked bags around 9:00 am and then go and drop my rental car off, and catch the shuttle back to the terminal.

Which ship / cruise line are you sailing on? There should be a list of prohibited items posted on the F.A.Q. section of your cruise line's home page. As long as you haven't packed a prohibited item in one of your bags, there shouldn't be any reason for you to have to retrieve your bags from security. Your aluminum tripod and telescopic cane shouldn't be a problem. How early you can drop off your bags depends on what time the terminal is open for Embarking guests.

Ok a clarification:

The cane or tripod are not prohibited items, I'm just questioning if security would not be able to tell what it was during x-ray and set the bag aside until I opened it. I'd rather not have to bring them thru on my carry on. Just not certain of the skill level of those looking at the x-ray image.

Leaving out of Port Canaveral on Oasis of the Seas. I was wondering what is the earliest anyone has dropped their bags off.