Cagney's appetizers

vent1020

• That is the case for the Platinum dinner. The conditions for that state: "Benefit entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice..."
  • It is not the case if you have purchased a Speciality Dining Package. The conditions for that state: "Charges will apply for additional main course orders." and "...all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro.", but they do not limit your appetizers or desserts.

Waitstaff often get the two mixed up, so I carry a printed copy of the two with me to help them remember which is which.

Most of us here on CC know what we get as Plats and what we are allowed with the dining packages. That being said, we've been told twice on Gem during one trip at Cagney's about limits and it wasn't when we were using our Plat dinner. In fact, each night the waiter had a bit different take on how things were limited.

We also ran into limiting on the Spirit the trip before. If you read the various threads the past couple years people are running into made up limits by staff for the dining packages. From reports, it isn't the majority though, maybe 25% at best.

...people are running into made up limits...

Yeah I think we've all had this. Sometimes the staff forget the various policies, so to help them remember I take print-outs. I keep them in my cabin, and if a staff-member accidentally applies an inapplicable limit I give them a copy of the relevant policy to remind them. It can be very confusing, they must have a lot to remember.

Yeah I think we've all had this. Sometimes the staff forget the various policies, so to help them remember I take print-outs. I keep them in my cabin, and if a staff-member accidentally applies an inapplicable limit I give them a copy of the relevant policy to remind them. It can be very confusing, they must have a lot to remember.

They shouldn't try to limit anyone, because it doesn't make sense. If someone orders 3 apps, they should ring in 3 apps. Then all they could do would be to try to charge for 2 of the 3 at the end of the meal. No one should know anything until the bill arrives. I think there are a lot of passengers that are opening a can of worms by asking the servers what they can get, instead of simply ordering their meals. I've never been told anything one way or the other, because I've never asked. Why would I? I know the terms.

Simple solution - don’t go to Cagney’s. This specialty restaurant is overrated and you can get better steak at Le Bistro or La Cucina.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we love Cagney's and will be going. We are also going to Le Bistro. We are not fans of La Cucina, so "simple solution" we are not going there.

They shouldn't try to limit anyone, because it doesn't make sense. If someone orders 3 apps, they should ring in 3 apps. Then all they could do would be to try to charge for 2 of the 3 at the end of the meal. No one should know anything until the bill arrives. I think there are a lot of passengers that are opening a can of worms by asking the servers what they can get, instead of simply ordering their meals. I've never been told anything one way or the other, because I've never asked. Why would I? I know the terms.

When we ate at Cagney's on the Jewel last May the head waiter/restaurant manager (not sure, but not our server), came by (unsolicited) to "explain" what was included with our meal (SDP). She noted 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert, and said something like you could also get a salad. I didn't care because that's a lot of food, however when our waiter came, he said order as many apps, sides, etc as you want. You just can't order more than one entree or you will be charged.

Not according to our waiter on the Gem last week.

We were told one app, one soup or salad, one entree and one dessert. I told him that is not what the T and C's say.

His response was " that is what we are told"

YMMV

Do we have to go to the specialty dining rooms with a copy of the Terms and Conditions from NCL's website? It sounds like there is no consistency from ship to ship; maybe even specialty dining room to specialty dining room.

Would the Food and Beverage manager be able to shed some light on what the most recent rules are? Does NCL still hand out the contact phone numbers of their officers?

Most of us here on CC know what we get as Plats and what we are allowed with the dining packages. That being said, we've been told twice on Gem during one trip at Cagney's about limits and it wasn't when we were using our Plat dinner. In fact, each night the waiter had a bit different take on how things were limited.

We also ran into limiting on the Spirit the trip before. If you read the various threads the past couple years people are running into made up limits by staff for the dining packages. From reports, it isn't the majority though, maybe 25% at best.

That is not acceptable. I would ask to speak to the manager to get things straight.

Do we have to go to the specialty dining rooms with a copy of the Terms and Conditions from NCL's website?...

I wouldn't say you have to, but I keep a copy in my cabin in case any of the staff need a quick aide-mémoire. Just like LrgPizza, I've

...never asked...
, but like DebQ5, we sometimes have erroneous limits 'explained' to us unsolicited.

I wouldn't say you have to, but I keep a copy in my cabin in case any of the staff need a quick aide-mémoire. Just like LrgPizza, I've , but like DebQ5, we sometimes have erroneous limits 'explained' to us unsolicited.

Someone posted up thread that the manager told them one thing and then the waiter allowed them to order as many appys and deserts as they wanted. Sound to me like the managers may not be the proper person to speak to either.

Simple solution - don’t go to Cagney’s. This specialty restaurant is overrated and you can get better steak at Le Bistro or La Cucina.
That's your opinion. I love Cagney's and enjoy all the starters and apps, and any of the steaks (mains) and desserts.
Thanks for the suggestion, but we love Cagney's and will be going. We are also going to Le Bistro. We are not fans of La Cucina, so "simple solution" we are not going there.

Well said, ready2cruise, and vent1020. My personal opinion is that Moderno is just terrible. I really hate it there, it's not for me at all! But... I understand that other people love that concept. Personally, I really enjoy Cagneys, and will be eating there three times in the next month. The 'simple solution' is to, well... go to the restaurants you like and, well... order the foods you like...

...Sound to me like the managers may not be the proper person to speak to either...

I absolutely agree. There are two groups of staff here:

• The people who know how to do the job (Waiters).
  • The people who don't know how to do the job, but know how to manage the people who know how to do the job. (Managers).

For some reason, customers often want to speak to the people who don't know how to do the job.

We were told one app, one soup or salad, one entree and one dessert. I told him that is not what the T and C's say.

YMMV

Same on pearl.. 1 app, 1 salad/soup, 1 entree, 2 sides, 1 dessert

Sent from my LG-H830 using Forums mobile app

In the past few months we have been on the Escape, Epic and Breakaway. Neither the Escape or BA said anything about a limit in Cagneys but we never order much anyway. On the Epic our waiter told us 1 app, 1 soup/salad, 1 entrée w/2 sides and 1 dessert. Also on the Epic in La Cucina when we used our PP certificate we were charged the 1.99 overage on my husbands entrée where on the Escape and Breakaway using the PPcert we were not. So who knows!!!!

YMMV

To add to that we were told we were only allowed 2 sides, so if we wanted baked potato, broccoli and mushrooms you would have to pay for 1 of them.

This was the with the SDP, not the platinium certificates.

And after all that, the meal was awful, we cancelled our second reservation for Cagney later in the week and booked Le Bristro instead.

We were on the Gem from 2/3-2/13 and went to Cagneys 3 times. Each night we each had two apps. The oysters are our favorite. The baked potato soup is fabulous. Their shrimp cocktail is better than most. Next is the crab cake or the pork belly. I also thought the pork was too fatty. Don't forget the bernaise with the surf and turf and top it with the mushrooms. Now for dessert.....

Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly

Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly Pork Belly

HAH! BBryan - you remind me of many in my family ;)

...We were told one app, one soup or salad, one entree and one dessert...
...our waiter told us 1 app, 1 soup/salad, 1 entrée w/2 sides and 1 dessert....
...we were only allowed 2 sides...
...1 app, 1 salad/soup, 1 entree, 2 sides, 1 dessert...

What do you all do when you're told you're not allowed to have what you've paid for? Does anyone discreetly challenge these made-up restrictions? Or are we all happy paying for something and not getting it?

When we ate at Cagney's on the Jewel last May the head waiter/restaurant manager (not sure, but not our server), came by (unsolicited) to "explain" what was included with our meal (SDP). She noted 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert, and said something like you could also get a salad. I didn't care because that's a lot of food, however when our waiter came, he said order as many apps, sides, etc as you want. You just can't order more than one entree or you will be charged.

That is very similar to how it has happened to us but it has been the server. I'm not sure they even said "hello" but it was very quickly into telling us limits with the dining plans.