Inflatable Pool for non-potty trained toddlers.

Bermudezaa

Pool sanitation applies to adults as well as children. On the Magic last April we had an older lady who fell in the wading part of the main pool and her leg started bleeding into the water. Crew members summoned medical staff and cleared the pool immediately. The medical staff arrived quickly and worked to get the bleeding stopped and the wound bandaged. The pool maintenance staff arrive shortly after the medics and sealed off the pool and began emptying it. It was then scrubbed down with chemicals, rinsed, and the process of refilling it began. We are talking health issues here whether it is pee, poo, or blood.

Hello all.

I am taking my wife and kids (3yr old and 1yr old) on their first cruise next week. We will be on the Carnival Sensation.

I just found out that non-potty trained kids are not allowed to use any of the water-areas. This ruins our plan as my boys love the splash areas. My 3yr old is potty trained, but my 1yr old is not.

While I understand the policy on the swimming pools, it’s ridiculous that it also applies to the kid-only areas. It would be cruel to deprive one of fun in front of the other because Carnival decided to save a little bit of money by NOT having a dedicated filtration system for the kids.

Just a bit of parenting advice - For the next 20 years, you are going to have to "learn" how to handle this situation. First, it's finding out that a kid that still poops in pants is not welcomed in the swimming pool. Yes, I know, it's cruel that no one wants to swim with floaters. But that's not the end of it. You see, your older kid will always be able to do things the younger kid won't be able to. It will keep going until the youngest reaches 18. Yes, its a cruel world out there, but you, as the parent, will need to navigate this with your kids, and how you handle it, will either make it easier, or harder. Right now, you have a negative vibe, but I suggest you turn it around, and get ready for the next 20 years.

I read that people bring an inflatable pool to remedy the situation.

Does anyone know if this is allowed on carnival cruises? If so, is there a particular type of inflatable pool that is recommended? Where do I dump the water after he’s finished playing?

Thank you.

A one year old, does not need to get into the water. Just find something else to do on sea days. Bring a play pen, place them in it in the shade, and they will be just as happy.

Hello all.

I am taking my wife and kids (3yr old and 1yr old) on their first cruise next week. We will be on the Carnival Sensation.

I just found out that non-potty trained kids are not allowed to use any of the water-areas. This ruins our plan as my boys love the splash areas. My 3yr old is potty trained, but my 1yr old is not.

While I understand the policy on the swimming pools, it’s ridiculous that it also applies to the kid-only areas. It would be cruel to deprive one of fun in front of the other because Carnival decided to save a little bit of money by NOT having a dedicated filtration system for the kids.

Does anyone know if this is allowed on carnival cruises? If so, is there a particular type of inflatable pool that is recommended? Where do I dump the water after he’s finished playing?

Thank you.

I feel your pain here..we just cruised with our 17 month old and I didn't read the rules beforehand (my bad) so the first time we took her to the water park no one said anything, so it didn't even cross my mind it was an issue, the second time we took her we were told she could not be there with her swim diaper, I was like, what?!, but if that's the rule ok, so we took her out and thankfully she didn't have a tantrum about it (and even if she did, well, we would have no choice but to deal with it I suppose). However, after our cruise I did go back and read under FAQs on the carnival website and inflatable pools were in the no go list too 😕.

Now having said that, and at the same time understanding why they have this rule, I wish carnival would have the filtration system to allow swim diapers (swim diapers, not regular diaper which I've seen some people do and I find absolutely disgusting! Swim diapers are specifically designed to hold poopie, a regular diaper will inflate and let everything out! Uugghhh!!!) even if it meant cruise fair would go up a bit, I'd be willing to pay this for my growing family. Why do I say this? Children 6 months and up are allowed to cruise, and anyone who has children, even at that young age, understands how incredibly difficult it is to contain a child once they see water meant for them to splash and run in. I had to completely avoid this area the rest of our cruise because my daughter would literally lunged out of my arms to go in there and splash. I had to save her from the heartache (and meltdowns) and just totally avoid that area, and that's not right! It's not as if she was on this cruise for free! We paid for her too and she can't even enjoy the few things she actually could?! And to add to this, wouldn't it be safer to allow swim diapers seeing as kids, especially those recently potty trained could very very easily have accidents, if they at least had a swim diaper on you save yourself the poopie accidents in the water?

For those saying they don't want anyone else's pee or poo on them (totally 100% with you on the poo!!) but do you honestly think that kids running around having the time of their lives are going to stop to go pee??!! LOL!!! And not only that, but the ADULT drinking their weight in liquor, you think they're stopping and stumbling out of the pool to go to the bathroom and pee??!! LOL I seriously doubt every adult gets out to go pee!! (Insert sick face here) This is why I avoid the swim pools on cruises, don't trust other people to get out and take care of their business. At least in the water parks the water is constantly running and clearing out...

It's not just a filtration system that is needed to be considered a swim diaper splash area. The entire area needs to be redesigned from a splash area that doesn't allow swim diapers to one that does. This goes from access and potential cross-contamination, to pump sizes (increased turn-over rate required), UV sterilizers, auto-shutdown of the water system, a diaper changing area in close proximity to the splash area, a cruise line supplied supply of swim diapers, and a full time crew member assigned only to the swim diaper splash area. This is why all of Disney's ships and the Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum class ships for RCI have had these from new build. There are only a couple of Voyager (IIRC) class ships that have had these retrofitted.

As to whether someone is willing to pay more for Carnival to reconstruct an area for swim diapers, it is not a question of that, but whether everyone is willing to pay more for it, and how much potential business Carnival may be losing by not spending the money.

As for water parks, if you think that water is not recirculated, you are sorely wrong. While they may have a larger volume of water, that water is not used once through and discharged. It is recirculated, just like cruise ship pools and water features. And if you google "CDC study of public pools" you will find a study done by the CDC where almost 80% of public pools inspected (almost 49,000) would have failed if they were held to the CDC's standards, which the USPH enforces on cruise ship pools. With regards to swim diaper facilities, the percentages were higher, and would have resulted in immediate closure in those failed water facilities.

The CDC has also determined that swim diapers will only delay the discharge of bacteria like Cryptosporidium , so they should be replaced frequently when using a swim diaper facility.

We brought an inflatable tub with us on the Breeze when our daughter was 14 months old. But honestly, I wish I would have left the darn thing at home and saved the luggage space. For bathing purposes, I just took her in the shower with me and held her while I washed her hair and body, then handed her out to the hubby so I could take my shower. It was so much easier than dealing with the tub! And it never seemed worth it to us to take it up on deck. We had enough to lug around with the baby anyway. And she was perfectly content to toddle around the deck or sit/nap in her stroller.

It's not just a filtration system that is needed to be considered a swim diaper splash area. The entire area needs to be redesigned from a splash area that doesn't allow swim diapers to one that does. This goes from access and potential cross-contamination, to pump sizes (increased turn-over rate required), UV sterilizers, auto-shutdown of the water system, a diaper changing area in close proximity to the splash area, a cruise line supplied supply of swim diapers, and a full time crew member assigned only to the swim diaper splash area. This is why all of Disney's ships and the Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum class ships for RCI have had these from new build. There are only a couple of Voyager (IIRC) class ships that have had these retrofitted.

As to whether someone is willing to pay more for Carnival to reconstruct an area for swim diapers, it is not a question of that, but whether everyone is willing to pay more for it, and how much potential business Carnival may be losing by not spending the money.

As for water parks, if you think that water is not recirculated, you are sorely wrong. While they may have a larger volume of water, that water is not used once through and discharged. It is recirculated, just like cruise ship pools and water features. And if you google "CDC study of public pools" you will find a study done by the CDC where almost 80% of public pools inspected (almost 49,000) would have failed if they were held to the CDC's standards, which the USPH enforces on cruise ship pools. With regards to swim diaper facilities, the percentages were higher, and would have resulted in immediate closure in those failed water facilities.

The CDC has also determined that swim diapers will only delay the discharge of bacteria like Cryptosporidium , so they should be replaced frequently when using a swim diaper facility.

We are so fortunate to have you on these boards. You do such an amazing job of explaining the "whys" for folks! Thanks for your expertise!!:D

I have to add, that a big incentive to potty training by 18 months was the wringing out by hand of all those stinky cloth diapers, then washing them daily, and hanging them out on the clothes line! Mothers today got it too easy, all using disposables. No wonder they aren’t in any hurry to battle with a toddler with potty training.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Funny story about cloth diapers. My daughter was born with hip dysplasia and had to wear 2 cloth diapers twisted to hold her hips apart. I used a service and a nice lady would pick up and deliver. 14 years later my next child had the same issue. I had moved 50 miles north of Miami to Boca. Called for the diaper service and it was the same lady who delivered in Miami. Both our mouths dropped open.

The child is 1 years old. You just tell him/her no and do something else. He/She is an infant. The world does not revolve around your baby and nobody wants to swim in your kids fecal matter. This isn't a ridiculous rule. It makes complete sense. What is ridiculous is that you seem unable to tell an infant that they can't do something.

I feel your pain here..we just cruised with our 17 month old and I didn't read the rules beforehand (my bad) so the first time we took her to the water park no one said anything, so it didn't even cross my mind it was an issue, the second time we took her we were told she could not be there with her swim diaper, I was like, what?!, but if that's the rule ok, so we took her out and thankfully she didn't have a tantrum about it (and even if she did, well, we would have no choice but to deal with it I suppose). However, after our cruise I did go back and read under FAQs on the carnival website and inflatable pools were in the no go list too 😕.

Now having said that, and at the same time understanding why they have this rule, I wish carnival would have the filtration system to allow swim diapers (swim diapers, not regular diaper which I've seen some people do and I find absolutely disgusting! Swim diapers are specifically designed to hold poopie, a regular diaper will inflate and let everything out! Uugghhh!!!) even if it meant cruise fair would go up a bit, I'd be willing to pay this for my growing family. Why do I say this? Children 6 months and up are allowed to cruise, and anyone who has children, even at that young age, understands how incredibly difficult it is to contain a child once they see water meant for them to splash and run in. I had to completely avoid this area the rest of our cruise because my daughter would literally lunged out of my arms to go in there and splash. I had to save her from the heartache (and meltdowns) and just totally avoid that area, and that's not right! It's not as if she was on this cruise for free! We paid for her too and she can't even enjoy the few things she actually could?! And to add to this, wouldn't it be safer to allow swim diapers seeing as kids, especially those recently potty trained could very very easily have accidents, if they at least had a swim diaper on you save yourself the poopie accidents in the water?

For those saying they don't want anyone else's pee or poo on them (totally 100% with you on the poo!!) but do you honestly think that kids running around having the time of their lives are going to stop to go pee??!! LOL!!! And not only that, but the ADULT drinking their weight in liquor, you think they're stopping and stumbling out of the pool to go to the bathroom and pee??!! LOL I seriously doubt every adult gets out to go pee!! (Insert sick face here) This is why I avoid the swim pools on cruises, don't trust other people to get out and take care of their business. At least in the water parks the water is constantly running and clearing out...

It is a matter of infection control and MUST be inforced! It does not matter that you paid a full fare for your baby, it’s all about keeping people healthy, and quite frankly, I’m not will I go to start paying higher prices for a different infiltration system for non potty trained children. I know today’s parents do everything to avoid a tantrum, but our generation didn’t have that problem. One look from me or their father and they knew better. Just start teaching your child early the meaning of “no” and stop worrying about their “feelings”.

Hello all.

Thank you.

I’m glad you read the rules and are being proactive. When my youngest was 14 mos we went on Celebrity Reflections and took an inflatable tub, put between our chairs with some water toys and worked like a charm. No issues. I highly recommend it as for if they’re allowed- we were on Carnival Conquest last week and someone had an inflatable pool- no issues-the pool monitors said nothing and the people let other kids play in it as well. The monitors did keep diapered kids out of pools but hot tubs were not monitored so saw a few there.

Happy sailing:D

We just got back from a cruise on the conquest with our 8 month old. We didn’t end up missing the pools on the ship as we just used the beaches and pools in port. He loved it and so did we. We had plenty of time in port to splash around, so we did t worry about an inflatable pool. Not sure which ports you’re hitting, maybe some have nice pools areas! Our ports were grand Turk, amber cove and half moon cay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow some pretty rude people on this board. The op was just asking about bringing an inflatable pool on board and stating his opinion. I'm a grandmother of a small child and have 2 grown children and would feel completely the same way if my child saw the splash area and wasn't able to go in it. Children that young do not understand the reasoning behind the rules. So the op's feelings towards that I completely understand. He was not asking opinions on how to raise his children so those opinions were not needed. Maybe some of you with your holier than thou attitudes should ask yourself how you would feel if you were able to see all the bar's and alcohol in front of you but were forbidden to drink. Just saying..

We will give the inflatable tub idea a shot. Our son will be almost 13 months when we cruise. It's not so much that I don't want him to miss out in the water, it's that I don't want him to overheat while we are all out in the sun. And don't tell me to stay in the shade....that's a negative for me. Ha!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I have to add, that a big incentive to potty training by 18 months was the wringing out by hand of all those stinky cloth diapers, then washing them daily, and hanging them out on the clothes line! Mothers today got it too easy, all using disposables. No wonder they aren’t in any hurry to battle with a toddler with potty training.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually cloth diaper use is on the rise. I cloth diapered my now three year old, who still took his time potty training. My small community alone has two stores that sell cloth diapers.

Wow some pretty rude people on this board. The op was just asking about bringing an inflatable pool on board and stating his opinion. I'm a grandmother of a small child and have 2 grown children and would feel completely the same way if my child saw the splash area and wasn't able to go in it. Children that young do not understand the reasoning behind the rules. So the op's feelings towards that I completely understand. He was not asking opinions on how to raise his children so those opinions were not needed. Maybe some of you with your holier than thou attitudes should ask yourself how you would feel if you were able to see all the bar's and alcohol in front of you but were forbidden to drink. Just saying..

Now where is that darn like button! Well said and I concur.

To the OP I’d bring the small pool. They probably won’t say anything to you. The crew loves babies. And just dump the water in the rinse shower drains by the pools. I’m sure they just listed inflatable pools because some not too quick people may bring on a regular size one.

Have a great cruise!

Potty training can be done as early as 18 months. There is a book "Potty training in a day" that teaches how. I did this and it worked for all 3 kids. One day and they were done.

That isn't going to help much with the 12 month-1 year-old. The 3 year old child is potty trained.

Pat