New To NCL

DT-Cruiser

Hello Everyone.

I'm looking to try Norwegian in 2020 and would like to hear from anyone who has also sailed on Carnival and NCL.. So far I've on sailed on Carnival and I'm used to the 'party' atmosphere. But I want to know how it compares to NCL.

As a former Carnival cruiser, NCL easily wins with or without the Haven.

However, picking the right ship for you makes a big difference.

I'm trying to find the right ship. I want to try one of the larger ships. But I worry about crowded venues. I've only sailed on the smaller Carnival ships.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry. But what is UBP?

NCL's Ultimate Beverage Package.

It can be purchased but is nearly always given as a promo. When purchased, it is $89 per person per day plus a 20% service charge. As a promo, NCL covers the $89pppd and the guest pays the 20%.

With the UBP, drinks under $15 are included and you can have as many as you can handle (there is no daily limit on NCL). Drinks that are over $15 have the 1st $15 covered and the guest pays the difference plus 20% on the difference. A $17.95 drink would cost $2.95 plus 20% ($3.54). Most drinks are $15 or less.

There are a few exceptions (bottled water, specialty coffee not included, for ex.) but overall, the UBP promo is great.

Hello Everyone.

I'm looking to try Norwegian in 2020 and would like to hear from anyone who has also sailed on Carnival and NCL.. So far I've on sailed on Carnival and I'm used to the 'party' atmosphere. But I want to know how it compares to NCL.

Sailed both, but not Carnival for many years. I don't think you are going to see much difference, except will have a slightly older crowd and no, not as much partying but there is still enough. Food is subjective; we happen to be very happy with the food selection and overall quality on NCL, slightly better than Carnival and the the entertainment is better on NCL> Carnival has larger cabins as someone mentioned. If partying is your number one criteria than stick with Carnival, if a slightly new experience try NCL. Then you can judge for yourself. I would certainly give NCL a shot, we all need to try different things. Yes, the mega ships can be crowded but more so it you happen to hit bad weather.

If you are cruising for the ship stick with what you know. If you are cruising for the ports you will enjoy NCL. Food is a little better and you have a decent 24/7 option. All dining is open seating so you dont have that 6 or 8 deal. NCL entertainment is pretty good but depending on ships the comedy set up is much better on Carnival then most NCL ships. Also dont be fooled by the "Free perks" with the cheapest rooms in each class you are not eligible for the perks. Usually ups price a couple hundred per person. Also the rack price is $90/day so you have to pay the service charge of 20% on your free drinks. Still a good deal but not truly free.

I have just booked my first NCL cruise for 2020 on the Bliss. The ship looks fantastic. I have cruised several times before, but only on Carnival. I have a few more booked with Carnival including the Horizon this summer. I like Carnival a lot. They have always given me a great time, but I am wondering what kind of differences I will see on NCL compared to Carnival. I believe a cruise is what you make of it. If anyone has some insight into what I will see that is remarkably different, I would appreciate it. I did get drink package. I am wondering what people wear to dinner. I was told it is cruise casual. Is like that all week or do people dress up for the specialty restaurants? I have seen a sharp decline on carnival ships in the way that people dress for dinner...even on formal nights. I do not mind dressing up for dinner. I think that adds a little to the cruise experience. Any info that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

Sailed both, but not Carnival for many years. I don't think you are going to see much difference, except will have a slightly older crowd and no, not as much partying but there is still enough. Food is subjective; we happen to be very happy with the food selection and overall quality on NCL, slightly better than Carnival and the the entertainment is better on NCL> Carnival has larger cabins as someone mentioned. If partying is your number one criteria than stick with Carnival, if a slightly new experience try NCL. Then you can judge for yourself. I would certainly give NCL a shot, we all need to try different things. Yes, the mega ships can be crowded but more so it you happen to hit bad weather.

I'm definitely looking for a new experience and will give NCL a try. Not looking for a constant party. But don't want to be bored either.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

NCL and Carnival are almost identical and neither are as good as Royal. The big NCL ships are overcrowded. If you really like grabbing a lounger in the sun o a sea day, you will be disappointed. NCL does some stuff really well, so does Carnival, but I don't think you will hardly tell a difference between the two. I would just stick with Carnival, especially if you are looking to make platinum or a higher tier. No point in going with NCL. We sailed the older Carnival Glory and preferred it to the top notch Haven on Escape...

If you truly want a new and different experience, then you should be strongly considering Oasis class with Royal. They have 4 ships to choose from.

I have just booked my first NCL cruise for 2020 on the Bliss. The ship looks fantastic. I have cruised several times before, but only on Carnival. I have a few more booked with Carnival including the Horizon this summer. I like Carnival a lot. They have always given me a great time, but I am wondering what kind of differences I will see on NCL compared to Carnival. I believe a cruise is what you make of it. If anyone has some insight into what I will see that is remarkably different, I would appreciate it. I did get drink package. I am wondering what people wear to dinner. I was told it is cruise casual. Is like that all week or do people dress up for the specialty restaurants? I have seen a sharp decline on carnival ships in the way that people dress for dinner...even on formal nights. I do not mind dressing up for dinner. I think that adds a little to the cruise experience. Any info that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

NCL is freestyle, so don't expect anyone dressing up really at any point. They have a great 24 hour sit down restaurant, but don't have the grab and go type concepts carnival has. So don't expect a great burger, burrito, or pizza. If you want this type of food, it's low-quality buffet option only. But the 24 hour pub is great, just different.

Certain restaurants have dress codes which basically means pants. NCL does speciality dining really well. If you are going to sail NCL, the dining package and visiting specialty restaurants is a must. If weather is good, grabbing a table on the waterfront is an experience you don't want to miss. Make sure to book your reservation before sunset to truly appreciate it. With freestyle, you basically eat when you want. It's a refreshing experience and they absolutely nail it.

Also consider the thermal spa if it's offered.