Best time to book

MUFC 1963

The cruises for November 2019 have just been released but I would be very interested to know when the best time to book a cruise with Celebrity and get the best bargains.

In the past we've paid the published price but later found other passengers were offered on board spending,drinks packages, upgrades etc.

I am very interested in everybody's views. Thanks.

The cruises for November 2019 have just been released but I would be very interested to know when the best time to book a cruise with Celebrity and get the best bargains.

In the past we've paid the published price but later found other passengers were offered on board spending,drinks packages, upgrades etc.

I am very interested in everybody's views. Thanks.

Have you ever booked with an agent from the states? Not always cheaper but more flexibility and chance of price drops. I tend to book about a year before and watch the prices.Dianne

Typically you find the best prices and deals will be 2 to 4 months prior to the sail date. That's when the cruise lines want to get the unsold cabins filled. This strategy works most of the time but some of the more unique/popular itinerary's it might not. If the ships are near capacity the prices will go the other direction. The West coast to Hawaii is a good example, that's a popular cruise only done twice a year and the prices rarely fall. If you must have a specific cabin then you need to book as early as possible.

From what I have observed on our next cruise in the Eclipse, they were struggling to fill a cruise, the most significant drops in prices were before the final payment date and in the month before departure.

I think in your situation I would watch and wait unless it is a MUST DO. Since UK cruisers cannot take advantage of price drops or perks that get added later, I'd wait until an offer shows up. Of course sometimes when a perk is added, the price reflects that "free" perk.

The earlier you book; the better your cabin selection/availability but the higher your cost.

The later you book; the lower the cost but you may not get the cabin selection you're looking for.

The earlier you book; the better your cabin selection/availability but the higher your cost.

The later you book; the lower the cost but you may not get the cabin selection you're looking for.

Usually true, but not always. I've been on several cruises that sold out very quickly and the best price was when the cruise was announced.

OP: You should book when you feel comfortable with the price. Sometimes the price seems to be reduced, but in fact the price seems reduced because the perks, such as OBC have been removed. It is a really tricky game of smoke and mirrors.

Usually true, but not always. I've been on several cruises that sold out very quickly and the best price was when the cruise was announced.

OP: You should book when you feel comfortable with the price. Sometimes the price seems to be reduced, but in fact the price seems reduced because the perks, such as OBC have been removed. It is a really tricky game of smoke and mirrors.

I agree; we like to book as early as possible, [depending on work schedule, vacation] so that we get the cabin selection we want. When we look at the cost when we booked, we're comfortable with it. If the price goes down, we don't bother to change because we got the cabin we wanted. But agree, smoke/mirrors.

We always book the day of release. I then monitor prices and get the drops (if any), That snags me the cabin I want and potential price drops.

Of our most recent cruises (booked on opeing day); the Transatlantic and Italy and Greece itineraries never dropped in price, Galapagos did drop enough for me to upgrade, China,South Korea and Japan has risen over $1,600 pp (and we booked a year ago!). I doubt very much it will drop below what we paid. Most significant drops are after final payment, for those willing to take the gamble,

Find a good price monitoring website - you can then find out where the price started on a particular cabin category. For a minimal fee you can sign up for price alerts (you set the parameters), or you can log on to the cruise line site every day and drive yourself crazy.

I just don't understand the thinking behind booking later, when you can get price adjustments prior to final payment.

I think in your situation I would watch and wait unless it is a MUST DO. Since UK cruisers cannot take advantage of price drops or perks that get added later, I'd wait until an offer shows up. Of course sometimes when a perk is added, the price reflects that "free" perk.

UK cruisers have the best of both worlds. Not only can they book in the UK which can on occasion be advantageous but they can also book in the US with the same terms and conditions as you. :D

I just don't understand the thinking behind booking later, when you can get price adjustments prior to final payment.

I do.

Sometimes you'll get the best deal booking as close to release date as possible but this really applies to popular itineraries where prices in your chosen cabin class are likely to rise and if they do dip, then yes you can rebook to get a better deal.

But on less popular itineraries after final payment date you can obtain significantly better deals. To consistently score the best deals you need to be flexible and open to different strategies

I do.

Sometimes you'll get the best deal booking as close to release date as possible but this really applies to popular itineraries where prices in your chosen cabin class are likely to rise and if they do dip, then yes you can rebook to get a better deal.

But on less popular itineraries after final payment date you can obtain significantly better deals. To consistently score the best deals you need to be flexible and open to different strategies

Why do you need to rebook? Celebrity has always honored price drops before final payment. Is this a UK thing?

We typically go on 7 day Caribbean cruises in the Jan/Feb timeframe when ships are usually sold out. With the exception of this year due to the hurricanes, we never see much downward movement with prices. I've been booking about a year out lately which seems early for me, but I have snagged a few nice deals as a result.

How do you get the price adjustments without losing your selected cabin?

Booking through a TA, I've never had this issue. They make the adjustment and it's done. The only time price drops get complicated is when you booked under a specific promo or deal that isn't offered at the time of the price drop. Perks may change, OBC may be adjusted, etc.

I always try to book the first hour...rarely do the prices go below, unless after final payment...Greece and Italy has not gone below what I paid for April 27, 2018...I constantly monitor...same with first Edge TA...prices are over $7,000 more than I paid!

***Just my own experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have booked two X cruises more than a year before sail date (actually close to 1.5 years before). Hawaii to Vancouver and Alaska. The Hawaii to Vancouver eventually offered perks after booking, which I was able to obtain by talking to my TA.

This said I regularly checked the price of both cruises, and ended up saving $600 to $800 by person by booking early, in addition to having better cabin options.

This said, in Canada, the deposit is refundable for quite a while.

So for the OP, many factors to consider and choose the strategy that works best for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums