Cell service on ship

wifi calling, Skype, iMessaging all require you buy the wifi package. Straight calls could only be made with Carnival's Cellular at sea, I believe it's $1.99 a minute. They can also call the ship directly. The instructions are in the Carnival website.

I dont mean to hijack this post but if you buy a wifi plan ( I bought the middle plan) does that mean that wifi calls are free and wont cost me $1.99 a minute?

You are correct, but as I mentioned, the social package does not allow WiFi calling. I just got off a ship and had the social package. I tried but it does not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got the middle plan but all of the below plans say they do not support wifi calling so I am confused.

Social Wi-Fi Plan ($5 USD per day)*

Access the most popular social websites and applications including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, SnapChat and the most popular airline sites. Does not include access to most websites and email. Does not support access to video and music streaming (such as Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora), iMessage or Skype. Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and Facetime services are also not supported.

Value Wi-Fi Plan ($12 USD per day)*

Access popular social websites, email and applications including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, SnapChat and the most popular airline sites as well as news, entertainment (not including streaming sites), sports, weather, banking and finance. Post pictures of your trip and make your friends jealous. Faster speeds than the Social Plan. Does not support Skype or video and music streaming (such as Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora). Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and Facetime services are also not supported.

Premium Wi-Fi Plan (17.70 USD per day)*

Our Premium Wi-Fi plan provides you access to all sites under the Social and Value Plans at the fastest possible connection on board (3 times faster than the Value Plan). Our Premium Plan also supports Skype calling where coverage allows. Does not support video and music streaming (such as Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora). Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and Facetime services are also not supported.

* Price based on cruise-long plans, are subject to change without prior notice and may vary throughout the fleet.

** Daily social plans are currently not available on the Carnival Glory, Carnival Inspiration and Carnival Triumph.

Guests can upgrade from one plan to another and can use multiple devices per plan, including their smart phone, laptop or shipboard Internet cafe but only one device can be used at a time.

wifi calling, Skype, iMessaging all require you buy the wifi package. Straight calls could only be made with Carnival's Cellular at sea, I believe it's $1.99 a minute. They can also call the ship directly. The instructions are in the Carnival website.

Cellular rate depends on carrier. $5.99 for T-Mobile, but others may be lower. The ship to shore phone in the rooms are $1.99 per minute.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last I heard Cellular at Sea is now Wireless Maritime Service

is a part of At & T and the cabin phone could not be called from shore. Family can call Carnival's number and leave an emergency number.

I got the middle plan but all of the below plans say they do not support wifi calling so I am confused.

Social Wi-Fi Plan ($5 USD per day)*

Access the most popular social websites and applications including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, SnapChat and the most popular airline sites. Does not include access to most websites and email. Does not support access to video and music streaming (such as Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora), iMessage or Skype. Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and Facetime services are also not supported.

Value Wi-Fi Plan ($12 USD per day)*

Access popular social websites, email and applications including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, SnapChat and the most popular airline sites as well as news, entertainment (not including streaming sites), sports, weather, banking and finance. Post pictures of your trip and make your friends jealous. Faster speeds than the Social Plan. Does not support Skype or video and music streaming (such as Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora). Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and Facetime services are also not supported.

Premium Wi-Fi Plan (17.70 USD per day)*

Our Premium Wi-Fi plan provides you access to all sites under the Social and Value Plans at the fastest possible connection on board (3 times faster than the Value Plan). Our Premium Plan also supports Skype calling where coverage allows. Does not support video and music streaming (such as Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora). Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and Facetime services are also not supported.

* Price based on cruise-long plans, are subject to change without prior notice and may vary throughout the fleet.

** Daily social plans are currently not available on the Carnival Glory, Carnival Inspiration and Carnival Triumph.

Guests can upgrade from one plan to another and can use multiple devices per plan, including their smart phone, laptop or shipboard Internet cafe but only one device can be used at a time.

Understand the confusion, wish I could help more. I am 100 percent sure WiFi calling will work. It’s just a matter of the middle or top tier plan. If you don’t need to actually call, the social should keep you in touch and see how things are going and save you a little money too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a diabetic child who uses the Dexcom app to monitor his blood sugars which we share with him. does anyone know if this app will work for us while we are on the ship with any of the wifi plans?

We have a diabetic child who uses the Dexcom app to monitor his blood sugars which we share with him. does anyone know if this app will work for us while we are on the ship with any of the wifi plans?

Might get more info if you started a new thread about this. Maybe also on the Disabled and Family boards.

Last I heard Cellular at Sea is now Wireless Maritime Service

is a part of At & T and the cabin phone could not be called from shore. Family can call Carnival's number and leave an emergency number.

True. Carnival no longer provides a direct shore-to-ship method of telephoning. Here's a copy/paste from CCL's Calling Home FAQ's:

Shore-to-Ship Communication – Emergency Contact Number

We do not offer a direct dialing service to our ships.

The following number is to be used as an emergency contact number for family members not traveling with our guests. In the event of a true emergency, family may contact our call center at 1-800-227-6482 on a 24/7 basis.

Our team will take down the caller's name and contact information and pass it on to our Guest Services team onboard.

While it is true that the internet plans technically do not support wifi calling, DH was able to use it with the Value plan on our last cruise.

You can call from your room for $1.99 a minute.

WMS (previously Cellular at Sea) is very expensive!! You are best to put your phone into airplane mode to avoid any surprises.