Golden Princess

2018AGP

Hi! We're booked for an Alaska cruise, June 2018, on the Golden Princess for June 2018. I'm just wondering why I never see any posts pertaining to the Golden? Has anyone sailed her to Alaska? I'm unable to fine any comments, experiences, nor pictures. I know that she is an older ship but....

With the Golden being in Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific/Asia for most of the year there are fewer passengers who regularly post on this forum. Once the Golden sails in Alaska for the summer there’ll probably be more information about the ship on this forum.

My most recent Golden cruise was a 31-day South America cruise 4 years ago & at that time everything was great.

I cruised Alaska on the Golden Princess in June, 2012. It was a wonderful cruise and I really enjoyed sailing on her. Of course, it has been a number of years, so I can't comment on her current condition. I recently sailed on the Regal Princess and chose that cruise because of my positive experience on the Golden.

I hope you have a great time. Alaska is spectacular!

The Golden is down here at the moment in Australia doing cruises out of Melbourne.

The Golden stayed down here during our winter (April to September) and did long cruises round trip from Sydney including the Pacific circle 75 days and a round trip to Hawaii and Tahiti 35 days. She briefly called at Alaska and Hawaii and some other north American ports during these trips.

The Golden has basically done three seasons in a row in Australia so that would be why it hasn't been mentioed as much on this board. On the Australian and New Zealand board there has probably been more threads on the ship.

We went on the 35 day one last winter to escape the cold and really enjoyed the cruise.

sorry but she's in Australia now but will be in Singapore mid april to go into dry dock

Close enough....No, I've not been on her, but we have her booked for Alaska this summer. I didn't find much about plans for the dry dock, and specifically could not find out whether the new internet system would be installed.

Also the 2019 North America season will be the last before she goes to P&O,

We loved the golden and was on in Feb2018 and will be on again Nov2018.

Overall the ship is showing a bit wear, but we enjoyed ourselves, on this ship.

I believe they are going to replace her in Australia with the Ruby

Cheers Don

I love the Golden (almost as much as the Coral). I've sailed on her for many cruises. She was ported out of LA when Princess introduced the short 3-4 day cruises. The Golden helped me achieve my Elite Status (haha). It also helped that she is one of three ships with Window Suites

With all that said, she is one of the best designed ships in the fleet. So easy to get from bow to stern. Public passageways were very nicely designed for optimal traffic flow. She has forward and aft public rooms. She does not have thermal suites.

I wish they would return her to the West Coast.

I have two window suites booked but no one to go with me. Golden Alaska round trip from LA in September and the Caribbean to Greenland in 2019. I'm holding on to them as long as I can.

I did have to give up my Golden LA to Australia in a Window Suite this summer. That was painful! Luckily, that stateroom was picked up by a dear friend. Glad they will have a great time in my place. My spirit will be along for the ride.

I love the Golden (almost as much as the Coral). I've sailed on her for many cruises. She was ported out of LA when Princess introduced the short 3-4 day cruises. The Golden helped me achieve my Elite Status (haha). It also helped that she is one of three ships with Window Suites

With all that said, she is one of the best designed ships in the fleet. So easy to get from bow to stern. Public passageways were very nicely designed for optimal traffic flow. She has forward and aft public rooms. She does not have thermal suites.

I wish they would return her to the West Coast.

Ditto. We did our first Alaska and several getaways on her and got to sample a suite on Sun deck - Loved It!

I / we miss the Thermal Suite. Grand and Golden have Locker rooms with Saunas/Steam rooms in the open by the Lotus Spa Pool. Star and later Grand class have them inside the locker rooms.

Also the 2019 North America season will be the last before she goes to P&O,

We loved the golden and was on in Feb2018 and will be on again Nov2018.

Overall the ship is showing a bit wear, but we enjoyed ourselves, on this ship.

I believe they are going to replace her in Australia with the Ruby

Cheers Don

We’re on the Golden in April 2019 for 27 days from Sydney to LA....will she retire shortly after that then, I suppose! I know she’s an older ship, but us old gals still gave some class!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on the Golden once, several years back. Great ship. We did the ultimate ship tour on that cruise, and we really liked that. Wouldn't do it again, but sure glad we did it once.

Just off the Golden and whilst we had an enjoyable cruise with great friendly company and staff would not sail on her again. Badly needing refurbished (husband sat on a chair in the piazza and the stuffing was actually coming out of the sides. just one example).It is just a little too tired looking overall for todays competitive market.

So much choice out there. I say this a someone who sails a lot with Princess so not trying to down all of Princess just Golden .

Scotslizzy

DH and I have been on the Golden twice. Once to the Hawaiian islands and once to Alaska.

We got a port side balcony on our Alaska cruise. We took tons of photos and videos off our balcony and required hot chocolate to keep warm. It was an absolutely beautiful experience and we would go on her again.

We just finished cruising for 77 nights on the Golden Princess and it was the best ship experience we’ve had, except for the Pacific Princess (which anyone who has sailed on that small ship will understand). The most prevalent negative is some plumbing issues, which are inherent with any ship that has moved and rocked and twisted for nearly 20 years, but they could not overshadow the ship’s comfortable medium size, covered pool, plenty of open decks for viewing and the wonderful, wonderful crew. It’s a perfect ship for Alaska.

I talk quite a bit about the ship in my blog. This year’s posts start at

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2017/10/season-8-exploring-wonders-down-under.html?m=1

Hi! We're booked for an Alaska cruise, June 2018, on the Golden Princess for June 2018. I'm just wondering why I never see any posts pertaining to the Golden? Has anyone sailed her to Alaska? I'm unable to fine any comments, experiences, nor pictures. I know that she is an older ship but....

We too are interested in the ship. We will be boarding in Whittier on May 12, 2018. This ship will be arriving on a 23 day cruise from Asia

sorry but she's in Australia now but will be in Singapore mid april to go into dry dock

If anyone knows what will happen while she’s in dry dock, I’d love to know. We are sailing on Golden in July to Alaska!

If anyone knows what will happen while she’s in dry dock, I’d love to know. We are sailing on Golden in July to Alaska!

Just like the Golden, Princess is not promoting any changes to the Sapphire which departs a 2 week Singapore drydock just before the Golden’s arrival.

The only thing I can locate for the Sapphire is they’re adding the luxury beds in every cabin. Last year’s changes to the Caribbean’s venues was well publicized but nothing for the Golden & Sapphire.

That leads me to believe that it will be primarily required ship maintenance and things such as replacing carpeting & upholstery. I’m going to search for the Sapphire’s post drydock roll call to see if there are any facts & not just scuttlebutt. That cruise is redeploying the Sapphire to Europe for the summer & hopefully will result in updates about the drydock.