Melamine plates & plastic glasses?

We are new to NCL ( first cruise a week on Thursday) and I have just read a review (of the Spirit) that said there were only melamine plates and plastic glasses in the buffet restaurants.

We are used to plastic glasses by the pool but have never had melamine plates before.

Is this usual on NCL?

Edited by workingtocruise-59

I eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet nearly every day of every cruise, and I can honestly say I have no idea what substance the plates are. I’ve never paid a bit of attention. Haha! This is certainly a unique post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

(In best Jerry Seinfeld voice)

"How can you have plastic glasses? It's either made of plastic or it's made of glass" "Whats next? I need to fix the hot water heater? Hot water doesn't need heated".

LOL....forgive the bad humor.

We are new to NCL ( first cruise a week on Thursday) and I have just read a review (of the Spirit) that said there were only melamine plates and plastic glasses in the buffet restaurants.

We are used to plastic glasses by the pool but have never had melamine plates before.

Is this usual on NCL?

I've seen melamine in the buffets on other cruise lines (Carnival and Princess), but on my two NCL cruises, I never ate in the buffet. But I suspect that the reason melamine is used in the buffets is that the buffet is usually on or within one deck of the pool deck and many passengers will take food from the buffet to the pool deck. I'm sure the cruise line does not want to risk having ceramic or glass brought to areas where people are barefoot.

I've seen melamine in the buffets on other cruise lines (Carnival and Princess), but on my two NCL cruises, I never ate in the buffet. But I suspect that the reason melamine is used in the buffets is that the buffet is usually on or within one deck of the pool deck and many passengers will take food from the buffet to the pool deck. I'm sure the cruise line does not want to risk having ceramic or glass brought to areas where people are barefoot.
Same with royal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I always just thought they were thick restaurant plastic plates.

I know they look and feel like the plates we have had on every cruise line we have been on.

Plastic and melamine feel basically the same. The main difference, that I know of, is that melamine can withstand greater heat than plastic. So it won't melt when it's heated during cleaning to sterilize. I've had a melamine utensil fall onto a burner and just burn a little vs melting like plastic would.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, I thought it may be for safety reasons. We have taken about 25 cruises on four different cruise lines and have not noticed this before even when the buffet restaurant is next to the pool area.

Yes, I thought it may be for safety reasons. We have taken about 25 cruises on four different cruise lines and have not noticed this before even when the buffet restaurant is next to the pool area.

What did they use on those cruises? Real glass and ceramics?

unless someone is allergic to the material used I am not sure what difference this makes and I would never even question whether the plates were plastic or some other material. This is standard for most lines: yes, safety reasons. Possibility of broken glass and proximity to the pool area is not a good combination.

It is very common for people to go to the buffet and carry out their food and drinks to the pool area. I suppose it is a safety reason they are not made of glass or china. The one exception are the coffee and tea cups.

It really doesn't matter to me one way or another, so I'm not posting this to criticize NCL, but I have mostly sailed on Celebrity in recent years and their buffet plates and coffee mugs ARE ceramic and not plastic. Their cold drink cups are plastic. I can't remember about the other cruise lines, but I think it's inaccurate to say that they all use plastic/melamine plates.

another thing to take into consideration is that plastic/melamine plates is LIGHTER then the heavier ceramic plates. For older people and other people with health issues, this might be a problem. A plastic plate loaded with food is easier to carry with a lighter plate then a heavier plate.

Years ago, we were on the Gem for a Transatlantic cruise and hit a huge Nor'Easter. At that time, plates in the buffet were china and they were stacked very high. Once we hit the storm, those towers of plates crashed to the floor. In fact, most everything that wasn't plastic, shattered. and people were injured. Since then, all plates in the buffet areas have been plastic. I've never seen a "glass" glass in the buffet areas. Even wine glasses are plastic.

(In best Jerry Seinfeld voice)

"How can you have plastic glasses? It's either made of plastic or it's made of glass" "Whats next? I need to fix the hot water heater? Hot water doesn't need heated".

LOL....forgive the bad humor.

Heh heh, not bad!

We’ve been on 10 Ncl ships and they all had melamine plates in the buffet but not the mdr. Ncl has lots of outdoor areas the plates are taken so it prevents breakages

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your reply.

I can understand the problem with broken china around the pool deck but on all our cruises we have never had non-ceramic plates in the buffet nor glasses that were made of anything other than glass ( except at the pool bar).

Yes, in the buffet restaurant the glasses were actually made from glass and the plates were ceramic.

The only place with "plastic glasses" was the pool bar (understandable).

A bunch of kids running around with ceramic plates and glass near the pool.... Yeah, I may not be a fan of kids but that doesn't mean I want to see them slice and dice their feet. Maybe Celebrity is more old people without kids? Not saying one way or the other, never even considered cruising on them not during a ship takeover.

Is this usual on NCL?

Since the buffet is on the pool deck a lot of people eat at the pool, thus the need for the plastic plates.

Thank you for your reply.

I can understand the problem with broken china around the pool deck but on all our cruises we have never had non-ceramic plates in the buffet nor glasses that were made of anything other than glass ( except at the pool bar).

I don't know what lines you have cruised except for one, but I don't remember ever having anything other than some type of plastic in the buffet. On most lines the buffet is near the pool and to not have plastic would be pretty stupid in my opinion.