Viking Homeland Pre-Oslo & Bergen Railway

pineapple1176

This will be our first experience with Viking, having previously cruised on Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. For our May 2018 Viking Homeland cruise on the Viking Sea, we will begin our journey with the pre-Oslo and Bergen Railway package. This includes Oslo and Bergen tours, 2 hotel nights, all transfers, a few meals and the Bergen Railway from Oslo to Bergen before embarkation. We have read that the scenery on the train trip is beautiful.

Has anyone experienced this pre-cruise package? Are the hotels (Hotel Bristol and Radisson Blu Royal) nice? Any tips or advice?

Thanks much!

• Like 1

This will be our first experience with Viking, having previously cruised on Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. For our May 2018 Viking Homeland cruise on the Viking Sea, we will begin our journey with the pre-Oslo and Bergen Railway package. This includes Oslo and Bergen tours, 2 hotel nights, all transfers, a few meals and the Bergen Railway from Oslo to Bergen before embarkation. We have read that the scenery on the train trip is beautiful.

Has anyone experienced this pre-cruise package? Are the hotels (Hotel Bristol and Radisson Blu Royal) nice? Any tips or advice?

Thanks much!

Both hotels are quite good. I posted a review on the Bristol to TripAdvisor (same username as here) that you might read. Hopefully you can read the screenshot I've added here. IMG_1943.thumb.jpg.351d9110483a9ac9c9c42db8b3c1aff4.jpg

The tour guide we had was wonderful and knowledgeable. She stayed with us until we arrived in Bergen and then flew back to Oslo to her young family. The train ride was really good. The morning after we arrived in Bergen we did a tour of Bergen with a different and equally knowledgeable guide ending in time for us to board the ship shortly after noon. The tour we got was basically the same as the included tour others who hadn't done the pre-cruise extension got the next day. You could see the Star from the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info! We’re taking this same trip but in reverse and at the end of our cruise this spring. Really looking forward to it, especially the railway journey. How long did the train ride take?

We took it in reverse and found it to be a great experience. It was very nice that the tour guide stays with you. We found the tours on both ends great. I don't know what they offer now but in Oslo we were to go see something to do with skiing (can't remember exactly what) but something happened at the last minute so they scrambled to find another tour. I was a bit sad but what they substituted was probably even better. We went to Statue Park. It was AMAZING. I hope that it is included for you.

We are also considering the Viking post-cruise extension from Bergen to Oslo. Any comments about the train and the extension in general would be greatly appreciated. It appears that if you buy tickets on your own the train has both Standard and Comfort class tickets, and departs several times per day. Does anyone know which ticket class you get on the Viking extension, and what time the trip is scheduled if you are disembarking in Bergen?

I can only address one of your questions. We traveled standard class. Reading what I did beforehand I thought it was not going to be very good but we had a pleasant trip. Having our guide with us going between the cars with all Viking guests and explaining what to look for and when was a plus. We not uncomfortable to say the least.

recently visited Norway

arrived Oslo and trained to Bergen spending couple of days at each end .. booked everything off the web

did AirBnB at both ends ... OUTSTANDING places ......

the train is WONDERFUL (we did book 'first class')

going back via Viking Ocean this year and looking at the details of 'Norway in a Nutshell' but booking ourselves ......

....... look at the prices if you let VO book it or YOU book it ........ a couple of web hours can save $$$$$

HINT ... if doing the train from Bergen to Oslo you do NOT want to miss the 'side train' to FLAM .....

https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/

*** book your own with an overnight stay in FLAM and probably LESS $$ than the VO 'extension'

.... not like I've priced it out or anything ....

recently visited Norway

arrived Oslo and trained to Bergen spending couple of days at each end .. booked everything off the web

did AirBnB at both ends ... OUTSTANDING places ......

the train is WONDERFUL (we did book 'first class')

going back via Viking Ocean this year and looking at the details of 'Norway in a Nutshell' but booking ourselves ......

....... look at the prices if you let VO book it or YOU book it ........ a couple of web hours can save $$$$$

HINT ... if doing the train from Bergen to Oslo you do NOT want to miss the 'side train' to FLAM .....

https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/

*** book your own with an overnight stay in FLAM and probably LESS $$ than the VO 'extension'

.... not like I've priced it out or anything ....

We did book Norway in a Nutshell on our own and as a data point we paid $825 for the two of us including an overnight in Flamm this September. We are mostly “do it yourselfers” and it was pretty easy booking it. I’ve been to Flamm before and know how worthwhile an overnight here can be. There will be additional cost of transporting our luggage to our Began hotel but that’s pretty nominal. The website is really easy to understand, we are looking forward to this portion of our trip.

• 7 months later...
21 hours ago, 60andhappy said:

We did the train trip from Bergen to Oslo last summer, booking directly ourselves.  We travelled comfort class ( more room and coffee).  It was a fabulous day!

Ditto..better to do by yourselves. We purchased train tickets online for Comfort Class. Upon arrival into Bergen we left ship early and went to Tourist Center and booked tickets for Next Day Stavenger fjord cruise with a stop in Flam for the railway. Took train back to Bergen and spent the night (on our own) at Radisson Hotel Bergen. This was a fabulous tour with Norway in a Nutshell.

This allowed us to spend last night on ship in Bergen and tour it on our own. We left ship early next a.m. and were able to drop off our luggage at Radisson. We then walked over to the docks where the fjord boat left from and had a most wonderful day. We had dinner that evening in Bergen, a restful nights sleep and then up early to take the train from Bergen to Oslo. We had been to Oslo before so spent the night in airport hotel (Radisson) and took flight back home to USA next morning. It was all perfect. Easy and less expensive doing it on your own.

We took the post-Bergen train to Oslo through Viking last spring and had a wonderful time. Viking filled two of the cars; no idea what class they were, but we did have coffee, etc. and meal vouchers. Transfers between the train and hotels at both ends were very smooth, and Viking also took our luggage to Oslo in a separate van so we didn’t have to lug it ourselves.

But the main reason I’m glad we took the Viking excursion was the delightful tour guide who took the trip with us and was very informative. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Twitchly said:

We took the post-Bergen train to Oslo through Viking last spring and had a wonderful time. Viking filled two of the cars; no idea what class they were, but we did have coffee, etc. and meal vouchers. Transfers between the train and hotels at both ends were very smooth, and Viking also took our luggage to Oslo in a separate van so we didn’t have to lug it ourselves.

But the main reason I’m glad we took the Viking excursion was the delightful tour guide who took the trip with us and was very informative. 

When did Viking tell you the hotel where you would be staying in Oslo?  We will be taking this post-Bergen excursion in June and have booked an extra night at the Thon Opera, which Viking lists as the hotel they will use, except for the qualification "or similar." We would prefer not to need to change hotels for the extra day.

We did the same thing you did, booked an extra night. We waited until about 2-3 months before the cruise, I think. I called both Viking and the hotel itself, just to confirm it was the right place. (Ours was the Hotel Bristol.) You can call Viking and ask when they’ll be able to commit to the actual hotel in Oslo.

Edited by Twitchly

34 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

We did the same thing you did, booked an extra night. We waited until about 2-3 months before the cruise, I think. I called both Viking and the hotel itself, just to confirm it was the right place. (Ours was the Hotel Bristol.) You can call Viking and ask when they’ll be able to commit to the actual hotel in Oslo.

Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated. The fact that you stayed in different hotel than the one listed certainly confirms that we have to check. Calling the hotel itself is a great idea. I had not thought of it.

22 hours ago, Dauntless said:

I'm sure you meant Sognefjord not Stavangerfjord.  I'm not a stickler for details but if people are not aware, they might be spending a long time looking for the wrong fjord.

Thanks..Yes you are correct it is Sognefjord (King of the Fjords).  Blonde moment but actually I am a great organizer 😉

• 9 months later...

This thread has some good information on the 2 day Oslo and Bergen rail package.

I was concerned with the comfort of the seats but it turns out they are the same as in comfort class... I was envisioning those board like seats on some tour trains.  To me it looks like Viking is the way to go.  I'm looking forward to having them manage the luggage and I think having someone to host in our 'private' car will be nice.  And it's a chance to get t know some folks who we will be cruising with!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

This thread has some good information on the 2 day Oslo and Bergen rail package.

I was concerned with the comfort of the seats but it turns out they are the same as in comfort class... I was envisioning those board like seats on some tour trains.  To me it looks like Viking is the way to go.  I'm looking forward to having them manage the luggage and I think having someone to host in our 'private' car will be nice.  And it's a chance to get t know some folks who we will be cruising with!

When are you doing this? We're considering it for a May 2020 departure from Bergen.

@Liz Masterson we changed our plans to cruise Alaska with Viking instead. We were unable to get the business air flights through Viking that we wanted. The prospect of short flights (total round trip flight time is less than 5 hours) is very appealing. 

I can understand that @Hanoj. We did Alaska on the Coral Princess a few years ago and really enjoyed it.  I can recommend Wild Wolf Tours in Ketchican for a nice small group tour. We did a 3 hour rainforest and totems tour that we really enjoyed. The guide was also willing to discuss what living there is like... work work work work all summer and save save save all winter.  They worked their tour business and fished in the summer.  In the winter you just hunkerdown and wait it out while conserving your resources. 

https://www.wildwolftours.com/

Edited by Liz Masterson
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:22 PM, Liz Masterson said:

We did Bergen to Oslo as a post-cruise extension and can confirm that the standard class seats are fine.  They are comfortable, two across on both sides and with plenty of leg room. This is something I am fussy about, and I have no complaints. The Viking hosts provide coffee, snacks, meal vouchers, and they were good tour guides on what was a very scenic trip. We had an excellent city tour in Oslo the first morning after arrival, and not dealing with luggage at either end of the train trip made the cost of the excursion, which I usually find overpriced, to be well worth it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a 4 night pre cruise extension. 2 nights in Oslo (Updated Hotel is the Hotel Thon Opera) then train and 2 nights in Bergen (Updated hotel is the Hotel Norge)  I saw this recent social media post by Hotel Norge. Breakfast is an important way to start your adventures for the day! Hotel Norge's has been chosen to be one of the 10 best in Norway!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_69f3.jpg