Prepare to be....DISAPPOINTED!!

You are correct. The smaller kids didn't care nor bother with the song. They too probably didn't know any better. I don't shield my children from profanity either, but I don't put them in an arena with it. It's called being a parent. It's just not appropriate venue!

And yes, I personally like that song....but not for my 11 & 13 year old. I don't encourage that language. Will they learn it some day, probably...but hopefully I can instill enough values and morals in their life that they don't use it on a day to day basis.

YO

Great song but not appropriate to the audience there. I would be unable to copy and paste on this forum before the post was taken down.

However if anyone is not familiar with the lyrics I will post a link

http://www.songtexte.com/songtext/prophets-of-rage/killing-in-the-name-5b0883ac.html

You're entitled to your opinion as am I.

Again, we all have standards.

I just think they can do better. Not what it used to be.

YO

No cruise is what it used to be.

A new cruiser would not have had the same issues you did (maybe none) because you know how it used to be.

Wilted and dried out garnishes shouldn’t be like that. I don’t care if it’s only to make the plate look pretty, because it doesn’t. As for the lettuce I also think it’s terrible to serve that. If something warm was placed on top of it on THAT plate then that’s a different story.

What difference does it make what kind of dish the banana split was served in? It wasn’t going over the edge. Ever try eating an ice cream cone?

As an adult with no kids I wouldn’t want to be listening to the profanity either. I’m not saying I haven’t said a curse word or 2, but to be repeated over and over again is what I consider trailer trash/classless even in a song. I have heard it all and definitely wasn’t sheltered, but I just don’t care for it. I would expect to hear that in a club and not at the pool area. There are plenty of other great songs to choose from.

As for some maintenance issues that need to be fixed during dry dock that isn’t a big deal to me. Stained cushions is disgusting. You don’t know what caused it (maybe puke) so it’s just gross and should have been cleaned or replaced.

Why did you even take a picture of the puke if it was cordoned off? That simply means that they are preventing someone from stepping in it and possibly slipping while the clean up crew could get there to clean it up. If it was there for a while then that’s different, but you didn’t mention that. For all I know you saw it as you walked by and took the picture. Trust me I don’t like seeing puke either, but it sounds like it was being taken care of. Sometimes things don’t get taken care of the split second it happens.

If you didn’t like how the cabin steward made up the couch then you should have talked to them about it. If you don’t see them, then leave a note or call house keeping. Sometimes YOU also have to make an effort to get something corrected. Complaining about the couch on here won’t get anything changed especially if you didn’t tell them while on the cruise.

Did you consider that arriving at a different terminal might not have been up to RC? Maybe a ship was late leaving the one that RC was supposed to go to therefore they had to go to a different one. I don’t know how it works or if they even try to plan on coming back to the same one. We don’t care because the car/hotel/airport isn’t within walking distance. We either have to get a shuttle or a cab regardless of what terminal we arrive at.

That's why nothing changes for the better. People can't except the fact that the line keeps cutting back and caring less because people don't say anything and keep on paying the outrageous prices. These are supposed to be 4-5 star cruise lines, you shouldn't have to point out their shortcomings, or live with them. You are getting a Dollar Store product at a Sax Fifth Avenue price. The saying "you get what you pay for" isn't relevant to cruising.

We went from 40-60 days a year to 0 last year, not just because of the price but the quality of the product as it is. They set the level of expectations when we started sailing 15 years ago and until about four years ago they met or exceeded it everytime.

I completely agree that things won't improve unless people complain enough to RC and not just on here. Why would they spend money to fix things if people don't say anything and keep coming back? Voting with our pocket books will make a difference to them and their shareholders. I have only been cruising 7 years and I have noticed a decline in the product. We have decided to start taking more land vacations again starting in the next year or so if things continue to go downhill.

That's why nothing changes for the better. People can't except the fact that the line keeps cutting back and caring less because people don't say anything and keep on paying the outrageous prices. These are supposed to be 4-5 star cruise lines, you shouldn't have to point out their shortcomings, or live with them. You are getting a Dollar Store product at a Sax Fifth Avenue price. The saying "you get what you pay for" isn't relevant to cruising.

We went from 40-60 days a year to 0 last year, not just because of the price but the quality of the product as it is. They set the level of expectations when we started sailing 15 years ago and until about four years ago they met or exceeded it everytime.

Sorry that argument sure is ridiculous now days

My first cruise was on Carnival's Tropical in 1991. It cost 2K for least expensive inside cabin in late September, hurricane season. That is $3685 in today's money.

Sorry that argument sure is ridiculous now days

My first cruise was on Carnival's Tropical in 1991. It cost 2K for least expensive inside cabin in late September, hurricane season. That is $3685 in today's money.

How did that cruise compare to the ones now? I'm guessing quality and perks were 100% better than it is now.

You could have easily checked in advance as to what pier the ship would arrive in Port Everglades before you left - that is on you (very common at PEG to arrive at different pier than you left from plus you can park cheaper a stones throw away off port and they would be waiting for you when you walked out). Was on Independence in December enjoyed every minute of it!

How did that cruise compare to the ones now? I'm guessing quality and perks were 100% better than it is now.

That's the thing. If you want a 1991 cruise that cost $2000 for an inside, be prepared to pay it in 2018 dollars. Add on specialty dining every night for a start.

I’m sorry you had a bad cruise. I would have addressed some of these while on the cruise. For the food, especially the soup, I would have talked to a manager about it and the attitude from the waitress.

I also would have either found or called someone about the bed. There is always a number to call if you need something or someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyones expectations and experience is different. Unfortunately for you those things didn't match up. For those worried about the Indy we were on her the very next cruise starting on 2/24. I have no real complaints except quality of the food in MDR continues to decline since our first cruise in 2001. I would though, even as an adult, not like to listen to music with profanity. Lucky for me, I didn't hear it.

I do hope you find satisfaction in a future cruise.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've been cruising since the 1970's and have cruised RCCL many times and I too have noted a decline in quality of MDR food and cleanliness and service on the RCCL ships. It is kind of sad that my family has, up until now, just lowered our expectations with each cruise. There is still plenty of acceptable food, decent entertainment, etc. We are however, thinking that it may be time to explore other lines and perhaps even land cruising! We leave on Oasis this month and are going back on Disney this summer.

You are correct. The smaller kids didn't care nor bother with the song. They too probably didn't know any better. I don't shield my children from profanity either, but I don't put them in an arena with it. It's called being a parent. It's just not appropriate venue!

And yes, I personally like that song....but not for my 11 & 13 year old. I don't encourage that language. Will they learn it some day, probably...but hopefully I can instill enough values and morals in their life that they don't use it on a day to day basis.

YO

100% and they'll be hearing from me if that garbage is played on our upcoming cruise.

This. With the amount of money they're charging, it should be nothing short of top notch.

These types of threads always bring out the worst in people, and you always see <insert cruise line here> loyalists coming to defend their own. On the other hand, you always have different types of people, some tend to focus on the negatives, and others the positives. When I read the first post, in my opinion, it certainly had merit, and it's a good place to voice an opinion. Then I read some of the follow ups, and started thinking that while the cruise definitely had issues that I completely agree with the OP on, if the only thing they can view as positive on the entire trip is Chops, I've reduced the initial credit I gave.

We all have varying expectations, and many of the things that occurred are inexcusable, but nothing that would have impacted the amazing time and experience with my family around me and enjoying time away.

The OP admits they look down upon Carnival, and other lines, including NCL, so it is quite possible, that their tastes have evolved to the next level, and they are ready to stay in NCL Haven, or RCL suites for better service. Whether you look at it as a positive or negative, cruises have morphed to cater to the masses, and offer varying levels of quality and service based on what you pay. No, that doesn't mean you have to pay for a suite to get decent lettuce, and a bowl for ice cream, but maybe it's time to spend more money to try the next level on NCL, RCL or possibly Crystal.

I sail RCL for the first time aboard the Anthem in April, and can't wait. We've sailed Carnival once (many moons ago), Crystal once, and mostly NCL (Haven twice). Unlike many on these forums, we aren't "loyal" to a brand, we pick a ship that looks like fun and go with it. When planning a trip, I would have definitely looked at a ship going into drydock soon as a ship to avoid. Sure, that shouldn't be an excuse for most of the complaints, but it's a clue beforehand that there could be issues.

Wish you the best on future cruises, just hope that you can find more than a dinner at Chops as a positive for your next vacation. Mine would be waking up with my wife next to me and hanging out with my son when he's not ditching us at kids club! It's really easy to find positive things when you value things around you and realize these first world issues really are quite minor.

In all honesty, I only mention first world problems so I can post my absolute favorite video:

My 3 and 5 year olds wouldn't care one bit about the song at the FlowRider. They wouldn't have recognized the lyrics anyways. We also don't shield our kids from such inane things like a curse word in a song. Sounds like they were playing some great music up there, makes me want to go - and I'll take the kids, too.

Please, don't complain to Royal and ruin it for the rest of us.

Wow,

I guess other acceptable songs would be "F*%& the Police and Lyrics with "Lets Kill the Cops" by famous Rap Groups back at the Flowrider as well??

Unreal,

Mike

That's the thing. If you want a 1991 cruise that cost $2000 for an inside, be prepared to pay it in 2018 dollars. Add on specialty dining every night for a start.

This is the post of the thread... If you want to compare the experience of yesteryear to today, compare apples to apples. If you were to spend the equivalent in today's dollars ($3800+ in today's dollars for an inside as it was stated), you could certainly demand those standards be met and exceeded. Today, that would entail you booking a very expensive suite including all possible upgrades (specialty dining, drink packages, internet so you could have entertained us with your "complaints" in real time, and a "Genie" to kiss your &@$%). *edited to meet the new FlowRider standards*

Otherwise, you paid much less than half of what it used to cost to cruise, and likely got every bit of 95% of that 1970's experience... And additionally you were on a nearly $1 Billion dollar ship full of free entertainment and amenities they couldn't have dreamed of back then.

There are cruise lines for you to sail that could potentially meet those expectations you like to speak of... but I don't think NCL, Royal, or Carnival (what a joke even mentioning that one as a step up) are the ones you should be checking out. Perhaps you want caviar on a tuna fish budget?

Next time (if there is one), address any issues you have while onboard. If your complaint isn't remedied to your liking (my guess is that wouldn't be possible), address it with corporate. You can even do as you said you did and write a nasty review if you so desire... But when you create a post like this one for the simple and singular purpose to stir up DRAMA and seek attention, prepare for the responses you have gotten and will likely continue to get.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue to thoroughly enjoy ourselves while onboard, for the exceptional and reasonable price that cruising today really and truly is. Ciao.

- Sent from my Samsung Note 8

Wilted and dried out garnishes shouldn’t be like that. I don’t care if it’s only to make the plate look pretty, because it doesn’t. As for the lettuce I also think it’s terrible to serve that. If something warm was placed on top of it on THAT plate then that’s a different story.

What difference does it make what kind of dish the banana split was served in? It wasn’t going over the edge. Ever try eating an ice cream cone?

As an adult with no kids I wouldn’t want to be listening to the profanity either. I’m not saying I haven’t said a curse word or 2, but to be repeated over and over again is what I consider trailer trash/classless even in a song. I have heard it all and definitely wasn’t sheltered, but I just don’t care for it. I would expect to hear that in a club and not at the pool area. There are plenty of other great songs to choose from.

As for some maintenance issues that need to be fixed during dry dock that isn’t a big deal to me. Stained cushions is disgusting. You don’t know what caused it (maybe puke) so it’s just gross and should have been cleaned or replaced.

Why did you even take a picture of the puke if it was cordoned off? That simply means that they are preventing someone from stepping in it and possibly slipping while the clean up crew could get there to clean it up. If it was there for a while then that’s different, but you didn’t mention that. For all I know you saw it as you walked by and took the picture. Trust me I don’t like seeing puke either, but it sounds like it was being taken care of. Sometimes things don’t get taken care of the split second it happens.

If you didn’t like how the cabin steward made up the couch then you should have talked to them about it. If you don’t see them, then leave a note or call house keeping. Sometimes YOU also have to make an effort to get something corrected. Complaining about the couch on here won’t get anything changed especially if you didn’t tell them while on the cruise.

Did you consider that arriving at a different terminal might not have been up to RC? Maybe a ship was late leaving the one that RC was supposed to go to therefore they had to go to a different one. I don’t know how it works or if they even try to plan on coming back to the same one. We don’t care because the car/hotel/airport isn’t within walking distance. We either have to get a shuttle or a cab regardless of what terminal we arrive at.

I completely agree that things won't improve unless people complain enough to RC and not just on here. Why would they spend money to fix things if people don't say anything and keep coming back? Voting with our pocket books will make a difference to them and their shareholders. I have only been cruising 7 years and I have noticed a decline in the product. We have decided to start taking more land vacations again starting in the next year or so if things continue to go downhill.

As I said before, I am not one to pen complaints. There was not photo of vomit as that was the first day on the ship. I didn't start taking photos until the evening of the 2nd night when they ticked me off at dinner and the waitress was arguing with me. Just came to a head and I had enough after 48 hrs.

YO

You could have easily checked in advance as to what pier the ship would arrive in Port Everglades before you left - that is on you (very common at PEG to arrive at different pier than you left from plus you can park cheaper a stones throw away off port and they would be waiting for you when you walked out). Was on Independence in December enjoyed every minute of it!

Never even crossed my mind that we might arrive at different terminal as departure. Has never happened to me before.

YO

These types of threads always bring out the worst in people, and you always see <insert cruise line here> loyalists coming to defend their own. On the other hand, you always have different types of people, some tend to focus on the negatives, and others the positives. When I read the first post, in my opinion, it certainly had merit, and it's a good place to voice an opinion. Then I read some of the follow ups, and started thinking that while the cruise definitely had issues that I completely agree with the OP on, if the only thing they can view as positive on the entire trip is Chops, I've reduced the initial credit I gave.

We all have varying expectations, and many of the things that occurred are inexcusable, but nothing that would have impacted the amazing time and experience with my family around me and enjoying time away.

The OP admits they look down upon Carnival, and other lines, including NCL, so it is quite possible, that their tastes have evolved to the next level, and they are ready to stay in NCL Haven, or RCL suites for better service. Whether you look at it as a positive or negative, cruises have morphed to cater to the masses, and offer varying levels of quality and service based on what you pay. No, that doesn't mean you have to pay for a suite to get decent lettuce, and a bowl for ice cream, but maybe it's time to spend more money to try the next level on NCL, RCL or possibly Crystal.

I sail RCL for the first time aboard the Anthem in April, and can't wait. We've sailed Carnival once (many moons ago), Crystal once, and mostly NCL (Haven twice). Unlike many on these forums, we aren't "loyal" to a brand, we pick a ship that looks like fun and go with it. When planning a trip, I would have definitely looked at a ship going into drydock soon as a ship to avoid. Sure, that shouldn't be an excuse for most of the complaints, but it's a clue beforehand that there could be issues.

Wish you the best on future cruises, just hope that you can find more than a dinner at Chops as a positive for your next vacation. Mine would be waking up with my wife next to me and hanging out with my son when he's not ditching us at kids club! It's really easy to find positive things when you value things around you and realize these first world issues really are quite minor.

In all honesty, I only mention first world problems so I can post my absolute favorite video:

Funny how messages get interpreted.

I never said I had an awful time, I said I was disappointed in what I paid for. Yes, I do expect higher end things and yes, cruising used to be all that and more. Celebrity had been my cruise line of choice for the longest time, however I've cruised Carnival quite a bit without issue. It was average and I got what I expected at the time. It's been about 2 years since my last cruise (Celebrity) and I definitely saw a decline in "what it was" from the past. Was I disappointed, no....just made an observation.

This, cruise past cruise, however...was just one snowball after another of let downs for what you pay for. Nothing more than that. I could care less whether one agrees with me or not. I'm not in it for the court of public opinion which everyone seems to harp on in todays social media world. I posted what I did so those can see what it is. It's up to you whether you cruise with RCCL (or NCL or WHOMEVER) ....I truly don't care. I use this boards as guide....I try and get a pulse of who people are from their post and I form an opinion. I originally read good things about RCCL. Perhaps I misjudged those who posted their reviews. Am I right? Am I wrong? I guess that's for you to decide if you plan on taking a cruise. Form your own opinion and go cruise RCCL or not.

Sheesh.

YO