Snowstorm Woes

So, we are scheduled to fly out of Manchester NH Thursday at 6AM....Problem is, there is a storm coming (of course). Predictions are 6-10...Now, it is supposed to be ending Thursday morning, so I can understand SOME delay...Should I keep the flight or change? The issue with changing is we would have to leave out of Providence on Wed AM...which is 1 1/2 hours away..We are going Southwest and using points, so no other carrier is an option for us. If we fly out the day before we would need to fork over another night hotel $ and another day of Disney $$...Decisions Decisions...I mean NH knows snow right? I feel optimistic about Thursday morning being somewhat ok..since they have all night to get things cleaned up..

I live in New England and a few years ago we were looking at a situation much like yours. I cleared my schedule for the day before and was ready to start driving. Luckily, the storm fizzled out and flights were not affected. This storm seems to be a sure thing, so you may think of driving south to either catch a flight from a less affected area, or to the port itself.

I feel optimistic about Thursday morning being somewhat ok..since they have all night to get things cleaned up..

One of the bigger issues with weather delays is not cleaning up the airport afterwards (although that can be an issue too), but planes being out of place. The plane operating your 6am Thursday flight is likely flying in the night before. But if the weather is nasty on Wednesday, your plane won't be able to get in. And you'll be delayed, even if the weather is nice and the airport is cleaned up. Just something to keep in mind.

You didn't state when your cruise leaves, but I'd try to get in a day or two before if you can, or look at alternate modes of transport over.

New Hampshire does know snow. What you need to be concerned about is Southwest's schedule. Your flight might be originating in a city that experiences the storm before NH. Airlines will not put their flights in the way of a major storm and have been known to cancel flights days before the storm arrives. I would spend the money and get out of town on Wednesday. Before you change, check on Wednesday's flight schedule as it could be effected as well.

We're in NH as well and flying out Saturday (fingers crossed)...this is crazy! The timing seems a little tricky still, they are saying it might be bad overnight so maybe Thursday you'll get out with a delay. We also fly out of PVD a lot (even though MHT is closer) and although it's about 90 mins away, they tend to have less snow in these storms than we do. What about booking a flight out of PVD just in case and you can decide tomorrow once the forecast is better? Thinking good thoughts!

So, we are scheduled to fly out of Manchester NH Thursday at 6AM....Problem is, there is a storm coming (of course). Predictions are 6-10...Now, it is supposed to be ending Thursday morning, so I can understand SOME delay...Should I keep the flight or change? The issue with changing is we would have to leave out of Providence on Wed AM...which is 1 1/2 hours away..We are going Southwest and using points, so no other carrier is an option for us. If we fly out the day before we would need to fork over another night hotel $ and another day of Disney $$...Decisions Decisions...I mean NH knows snow right? I feel optimistic about Thursday morning being somewhat ok..since they have all night to get things cleaned up..

Still cheaper than missing part of your cruise and having to find a flight to St. Maarten so you can board the ship. Or the cost of missing the entire cruise.

I have been in the aviation biz for years and things are not the same as in the old days. The airlines are canceling much more often. They have learned that when they try to fly when say the whole northeast is bad then they need to divert all over the place and it takes them a couple days to catch back up because they have crews out of time and airplanes flying empty to get back on track. So now they just cancel everything. Also I would change soon to get on a flight the day before, or they will all be booked....good luck!!

I have been in the aviation biz for years and things are not the same as in the old days. The airlines are canceling much more often. They have learned that when they try to fly when say the whole northeast is bad then they need to divert all over the place and it takes them a couple days to catch back up because they have crews out of time and airplanes flying empty to get back on track. So now they just cancel everything. Also I would change soon to get on a flight the day before, or they will all be booked....good luck!!

Excellent advice and accurate information. DH was in Aircraft Maintenance Management for 25 years and as we all know Mother Nature Rules. Better safe in FL than sorry in NH.

We got a 9AM out of Providence for Wednesday...That's the best we could get..They say snow will start lightly by am commute, so hopefully we can get out before it ramps up!

Best of Luck to you. Safe travels.

We got a 9AM out of Providence for Wednesday...That's the best we could get..They say snow will start lightly by am commute, so hopefully we can get out before it ramps up!

That's great news! You'll get out before the storm really hits. Are you going on Allure?

Happy cruising!