Cuba on NCL 4 days or 7 days Eastern on Oasis- Port Canaveral $200 difference

I've been planning a surprise trip for my husband as a birthday present. I booked the NCL Sun to Cuba for 4 days late August for $1200 inside, which includes drinks and $100 obc.

Trolling today, I stumbled on a 9/2 oasis sailing-7 days ocean view $1400.

Seems like a no brainer right? 7 days vs.4. $200 more.

So now I have 2 bookings))

What do you think? We've sailed Oasis and Allure. It's Cuba that makes me want to keep the later. But the big ship will make the hubby happy.

Should I take the opportunity to see Cuba?

Cuba was magnificent and I'd go again in a second; nothing like other Caribbean ports.

Two totally different trips.

However NCL's new itineraries for Cuba aren't really two days in Havana. It's just one day with a departure early the next morning and that is insufficient time, IMO. Look for an itinerary w 2 full days in Havana and I'd say take that. If you just want a relaxing vacation, skip Cuba and go for the bigger, newer ship.

Cuba isn't all that exciting and you can fly cheaper than a cruise. I would do Allure! Keep in mind the tourism restrictions and need to carry local currency or get a Cuban credit card!

Partially disagree- Cuba is that exciting. But you are right that it is cheaper to fly there.

The best part about cruising to Cuba is to get familiar with a place that most Americans have never had a chance to go to.

We flew to Cuba for an extended weekend, Friday - Monday, and it was a great time! I wish we had a couple more days to visit Varadero, instead we just stayed in Havana. It was cheaper for us to fly than to take a cruise, as we originally looked into taking a cruise. We loved Cuba and would definitely go back, looking at a cruise now!

It all depends on what type of vacation you guys are looking for. I guess if you are looking for a week under the sun, then Oasis is better. But if you want to explore somewhere new for a couple of days, then take the NCL trip to Cuba.

My wife and I both get 3 weeks of vacation a year. So we try to use one for a week of pure relaxation (usually on a cruise), and we do another week to a new place that we haven't been. Sometimes we do end up at Disney, I love Disney, but I feel I need a vacation after it! The remaining 5 days we use for extended weekends throughout the year, mainly the summer and spend it at the Jersey shore.

So it all depends what you guys are looking for. I think either one would be great!

I was considering the NCL Cuba cruise but I don't think 1 day at port would be enough. I decided that destination should be a land-based trip, not a cruise. Unless you can find an itinerary with two full days in Cuba. The Port Canaveral sailing won't give you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm assuming the price is for 2 Paxs. For the novelty go to Cuba. For the $200 price difference and you compare "Sun" vs. "Oasis"--hands down Oasis and 7 nights.

Not sure I'd consider Cuba a novelty. It seems like a fantastic destination with many travelers to back that up. If you want a ship experience, yes Oasis is the way to go. But Oasis is a ship you take for the ship, certainly not the ports.

Skip Cuba. You will be happy you did!

Yes, because learning about other people, and their culture, food, music, art etc- is all overrated... :rolleyes:

Going to Cuba is awesome- it's very different than every other places in the Caribbean. And by the way the rules are laid out for our restrictions- you are pretty much forced to support people who are very much undoing what most Americans think is bad about Cuba.

One of the coolest places we've been. And plan on going again.

Yes, because learning about other people, and their culture, food, music, art etc- is all overrated... :rolleyes:

Going to Cuba is awesome- it's very different than every other places in the Caribbean. And by the way the rules are laid out for our restrictions- you are pretty much forced to support people who are very much undoing what most Americans think is bad about Cuba.

One of the coolest places we've been. And plan on going again.

To each their own but I personally will not be going there.

So you've never been...but you know for a fact it's not worth going.

OK, thanks man! [emoji849]

I’ve never been to North Korea either but I don’t have any interest in visiting there! Don’t try and play naive. Many people just like me have no interest in going to Cuba for obvious reasons!

Cuba is a port. Big deal. It's only "special" because we haven't been allowed to go. I have friends that go here and there, family that vacationed there a couple years ago, it's just not that special. I would take the 7 days on Oasis over the Cuba trip even if the Cuba trip was free.

Sailing on a short trip, on a dumpy NCL ship, to a dumpy island.... vs 7 days on Oasis??? Come on....

Cuba is a port. Big deal. It's only "special" because we haven't been allowed to go. I have friends that go here and there, family that vacationed there a couple years ago, it's just not that special. I would take the 7 days on Oasis over the Cuba trip even if the Cuba trip was free.

Sailing on a short trip, on a dumpy NCL ship, to a dumpy island.... vs 7 days on Oasis??? Come on....

If that's your opinion of anyplace, there's no point in going. Just stay home.

Because nobody has been able to go, nobody has been able to meet people, eat, listen, and see stuff.

Again, just because YOU think it's not special does not mean it's that way for everyone. It's actually very special and significant to some people. Why do you feel the need to throw water on that?

I’ve never been to North Korea either but I don’t have any interest in visiting there! Don’t try and play naive. Many people just like me have no interest in going to Cuba for obvious reasons!

So?

It's great that you don't want to go. No problem with that. Don't go.

But I just don't get why people think that it's their place to prevent others from going.

So?

It's great that you don't want to go. No problem with that. Don't go.

But I just don't get why people think that it's their place to prevent others from going.

If you want to go support Castro and his communist government then by all means do so. No one is stopping you!

I read a lot of ignorant things on this forum but this one takes the cake.

Try reading a history book about life under the Castro regime in Cuba. Sorry to burst your bubble but there are many people that have no interest in stepping foot in Cuba. No one is stopping you though!

Try reading a history book about life under the Castro regime in Cuba. Sorry to burst your bubble but there are many people that have no interest in stepping foot in Cuba. No one is stopping you though!

You appear to be quite the humanitarian. How do you personally help these poor folks?

And why is the cruise ship you travel on flying a flag other than the USA? Hmmm....[emoji848]

You appear to be quite the humanitarian. How do you personally help these poor folks?

And why is the cruise ship you travel on flying a flag other than the USA? Hmmm....[emoji848]

I have flown both cruise ships that have the US flag and those that don’t. I really could care less.