Food in Barcelona

My husband and I have 2 days in Barcelona after our ship docks. We'll be coming off the Norwegian Epic on June 10th. We both love good food and want to experience the authentic recipes and foods as much as we can. We'll be staying Hotel Suizo in the Gothic Quarter. I know there's a ton of restaurants there, but does anyone have recommendations for restaurants or specific dishes that we have to try before we leave the country? Of course we'll ask our hotel front desk/concierge, but I like to gather intel from other people that have traveled.

I live in a very small town in rural Minnesota so authentic, ethnic food is not something I get often and I want to experience as much of it as I can, while I can! :D

My husband and I have 2 days in Barcelona after our ship docks. We'll be coming off the Norwegian Epic on June 10th. We both love good food and want to experience the authentic recipes and foods as much as we can. We'll be staying Hotel Suizo in the Gothic Quarter. I know there's a ton of restaurants there, but does anyone have recommendations for restaurants or specific dishes that we have to try before we leave the country? Of course we'll ask our hotel front desk/concierge, but I like to gather intel from other people that have traveled.

I live in a very small town in rural Minnesota so authentic, ethnic food is not something I get often and I want to experience as much of it as I can, while I can! :D

We stayed in Gothic Quarter on our last visit to Barcelona there is a really nice restaurant call Neyras try the eggplant tapas and the Black Paella and the fried green peppers. We still talk about the food there and on our return to Barcelona we’re planning and going out of our way to visit again. Enjoy

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t have the link but I went to a paella cooking class it was a lot of fun they take you shopping for the ingredients and then everyone participates in making the paella and sangria. I think you can find reviews on TripAdvisor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
I don’t have the link but I went to a paella cooking class it was a lot of fun they take you shopping for the ingredients and then everyone participates in making the paella and sangria. I think you can find reviews on TripAdvisor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ciudad Condal was spectacular for tapas. We are returning this summer to try again!

Please excuse our non-adventurous dining preference. We're just plain type folks...where can we get just some basic american type food in Barcelona. We'll be staying at the Jazz Hotel. Our last trip there our dining options left us anxious to board the ship.

Thanks so much for not criticizing and instead offering some suggestions.

McDonalds? I am sorry but I don't know what is "american food", I've tasted succulent clam chowder in New England, cochon de lait in Cajun country, broccoli chicken casserole in the Midwest or kuchen in Dakota, among other, all of them from very different types of cuisine. If you could be more precise... I'll be glad to suggest something.

Edited by EnricM

Please excuse our non-adventurous dining preference. We're just plain type folks...where can we get just some basic american type food in Barcelona. We'll be staying at the Jazz Hotel. Our last trip there our dining options left us anxious to board the ship.

Try patatas bravas. It’s a tapa that look and taste like French fries with ketchup.

In Barcelona you can find a Hard Rock Cafe, McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts. I saw them while we were there. Did not try any of them.

In Barcelona you can find a Hard Rock Cafe, McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts. I saw them while we were there. Did not try any of them.

Starbucks and Subway too. All of them within 2-3 blocks of your hotel.

Try patatas bravas. It’s a tapa that look and taste like French fries with ketchup.

This is just the kind of information I'm looking for. Any other suggestions on what we can order. Last time there we would go in to Tapa places and nothing looked good to my DH.

Not looking for McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts.

At Neyras eat in the front/bar area. You can look at the food/tapas bar or off the tapas menu. Look for pan (bread), queso (cheese), atún (flaked tuna), albóndigas (meatballs), ensalada (salad), jamón (ham). My meat and potatoes husband liked the tapas so much that going to Neyras was on his "must do" list on our subsequent visits to Barcelona.

There also is a local coffee chain called Cappuccino. You can get coffee and sandwich or pastry for breakfast or lunch.

There's a very well reviewed tapas tour thebarcelonataste.com that might be just the thing for those of us who want to explore but don't speak the language. It is sometimes hard to know what's in things (I hate seafood!) just by looking and a guide sure would help! Might be something you want to consider. There are several tapas tours with good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Totally understand. I used to be all about the adventure when our vacations were short and would have turned my nose up at McDonalds, etc. BUT now that we are retired and go on very extended trips abroad there do come those days when you just can't be bothered and want some quick, predictable food that you are used to from home. After 5 weeks in Europe, although the food was great we just missed being able to order a big salad as a dinner like we often do in America. We ended up in the Hard Rock Café and were very happy to be "at home". Novelty can wear thin after awhile no matter who you are.

At Neyras eat in the front/bar area. You can look at the food/tapas bar or off the tapas menu. Look for pan (bread), queso (cheese), atún (flaked tuna), albóndigas (meatballs), ensalada (salad), jamón (ham). My meat and potatoes husband liked the tapas so much that going to Neyras was on his "must do" list on our subsequent visits to Barcelona.

There also is a local coffee chain called Cappuccino. You can get coffee and sandwich or pastry for breakfast or lunch.

Totally understand. I used to be all about the adventure when our vacations were short and would have turned my nose up at McDonalds, etc. BUT now that we are retired and go on very extended trips abroad there do come those days when you just can't be bothered and want some quick, predictable food that you are used to from home. After 5 weeks in Europe, although the food was great we just missed being able to order a big salad as a dinner like we often do in America. We ended up in the Hard Rock Café and were very happy to be "at home". Novelty can wear thin after awhile no matter who you are.

Thank you so much for all the helpful understanding information...very much appreciated.

Barcelona has many little sandwich shops. So tasty. I admit we had breakfast at Starbucks. Lol. I just wanted a large cup of coffee and a muffin. Barcelona doesn’t do American coffee. lol. There are Irish pubs in the Gothic Quarter believe it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you like ham(jamon). I would suggest for lunch or a snack to go to Enrique Tomas shops. You will find several in Barcelona and they offer wonderful jamon sandwiches on a baguette.

Ciudad Condal was spectacular for tapas. We are returning this summer to try again!

Us too! We discovered Ciudad Condal when our hotel recommended it. Ate there both of the last 2 nights in Barcelona. Can't wait to go again when there on August 25.

McDonalds? I am sorry but I don't know what is "american food", I've tasted succulent clam chowder in New England, cochon de lait in Cajun country, broccoli chicken casserole in the Midwest or kuchen in Dakota, among other, all of them from very different types of cuisine. If you could be more precise... I'll be glad to suggest something.

Great answer.

BTW, We'll be in sail to Barcelona again in Oct. As a foodie, we will skip the Boqueria this time, been there 3 times What is your opinion of the 2 markets off the tourist path - St. Caterina and Mercat Princesa. Tapas, beer, wine, Food market.

Your information has helped many first time travelers. Thanks.

We've stayed at the Hotel Jazz. Last time we were there (a few years ago), there was a McDonalds and a Subway within a block or 2.....just start walking towards the Placa de Catalunya and you can't miss them.