US Govt warning about Playa De Carmen

mpdog42

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has issued a new travel alert for the Caribbean resort city of Playa del Carmen, where an

explosion on a tourist ferry injured 26 people last month. The embassy says in an alert posted on its website that it received information Wednesday about a "security threat" in that city and U.S. government employees are prohibited from going there.

Well The Domino's just continue to Fall, I am sure Carnival's Security Dept and other Cruise Lines Dept's are in Meetings today, trying to figure out what to do about Shore Exerc to Playa and possibly Cozumel in General.....

Canada has also updated its travel advisory for Mexico, urging its citizens to "exercise a high degree of caution."

The report stated that US government employees are also banned from the ferry that goes from Cozumel to Playa, including the Closing of the Consul Office in Playa until further notice

Edited by mpdog42
addition

I did a land vacation last year January and that’s when they had the night club shooting near the 5th ave shopping and entertainment area .

While going to the airport there were guys on the overpasses with bandannas covering part of there face with signs . We asked our driver and he just said lots of drug gang wars starting there.

Although beautiful I’d travel there with caution if you do go.

There's so much to do on Cozumel that I don't know why someone would pay to sit on a ferry and go somewhere there is less to do.

Maybe to get away from the crowds? The day my cruise will be there, so will five other ships, so easily more than 10,000 people.

This is not a big deal for cruises. There's so much to do on Cozumel that I don't know why someone would pay to sit on a ferry and go somewhere there is less to do.

This is my thought exactly. The cruise lines may want to think about how many ships are in Cozumel on a given day to help with the crowds since they can disperse some of the crowds to Playa now but there is zero reason to avoid Cozumel right now

My daughter and her boyfriend will be staying at an AI in Playa del Carmen for her college graduation gift. I’ve read the advisory, which is at a level 2 (out of 4) and does not prohibit U.S. citizens’ travel to the region. So as of right now they are still going but we will keep an eye on the situation...

My daughter and her boyfriend will be staying at an AI in Playa del Carmen for her college graduation gift. I’ve read the advisory, which is at a level 2 (out of 4) and does not prohibit U.S. citizens’ travel to the region. So as of right now they are still going but we will keep an eye on the situation...

That is smart thinking. Just be aware of your surroundings.

This is not a big deal for cruises. There's so much to do on Cozumel that I don't know why someone would pay to sit on a ferry and go somewhere there is less to do.

Excursions. If you want to go see the better Mayan Ruins, such as Chichen Itza or Tulum, you have to ride the ferry.

Excursions. If you want to go see the better Mayan Ruins, such as Chichen Itza or Tulum, you have to ride the ferry.

We have the chichen Itza excursion booked in May and they haven't cancelled it. Wonder what will happen.

There is an interesting comment on this article, if this guy really does have inside/local info, it does make sense and would be reassuring, to everyone who isn't the ferry operator's family anyway :( (I hope it's okay to quote the following reply here?) Of course I cant vouch for the info, or how he knows it's "obvious" but it is interesting to consider.

Kevin Orr ·

Omaha, Nebraska

If it's comforting to any cruiser- know that the attack and attempted attack isn't targeting cruisers/touists. It's became obvious it's to be detrimental to the ferry company operating those rides- who is owned by a man whose son is rival to the drug cartel taking responsibility. Avoid the ferry's and your safety and security as the same there they were before this. Cozumel has great beaches, snorkeling, mediocre ziplining, shopping. The big miss on the mainland is the caves.

I am not a big fan of Cozumel (aka Nassau of the Yucatan). There aren't "many" things to do in Cozumel, especially if you have been there before. Let's see, tour the small island, go to a beach, eat at a restaurant downtown.... stay on the ship!

We have taken the ferry and a bus to visit Tulum! Yes, a bit of a ride on the ferry and bus, but so much better than going to Carlos and Charlie's for shots in Cozumel !! :)

If you have never taken the ferry, how would you know there is nothing to do once you get to the mainland?? :confused:

Hopefully, they can get the security on the ferry trips under control, and make it a safe 45 minute trip to the mainland. :)

I am not a big fan of Cozumel (aka Nassau of the Yucatan). There aren't "many" things to do in Cozumel, especially if you have been there before. Let's see, tour the small island, go to a beach, eat at a restaurant downtown.... stay on the ship!

We have taken the ferry and a bus to visit Tulum! Yes, a bit of a ride on the ferry and bus, but so much better than going to Carlos and Charlie's for shots in Cozumel !! :)

If you have never taken the ferry, how would you know there is nothing to do once you get to the mainland?? :confused:

Hopefully, they can get the security on the ferry trips under control, and make it a safe 45 minute trip to the mainland. :)

We spend 10 days every year on Cozumel. Yes we've been to the mainland several times even to Chitzen Itza. We have decided for us there is plenty to on Cozumel. I never said there's nothing to do on the mainland I'm saying if the cruise line cancels mainland excursions there are things to do on Cozumel.

We spend 10 days every year on Cozumel. Yes we've been to the mainland several times even to Chitzen Itza. We have decided for us there is plenty to on Cozumel. I never said there's nothing to do on the mainland I'm saying if the cruise line cancels mainland excursions there are things to do on Cozumel.

Yes, there are several things to do in Cozumel. I never said there wasn't, I said if you have been there before, you will find it repetitive (akin to Nassau). But, it "is" a small island, and the things, that there are to do are limited.

I have done snorkeling, beaches, island tours, bar hoppin' and other tours of the island. I still find that it is limited and the mainland does offer many other alternatives.

Hopefully the problems with the ferry rides will be handled, and excursions on the mainland will resume:):).

"Go #9...Chase Elliot"

I love Mexico that I have visited.

I have only been on the Caribbean side of Mexico, but I love the place, the people and have enjoyed every excursion, and visits off cruise ships.

I used to feel that the crime did not impact the Caribbean side of Mexico, but am gradually seeing that change. Sadly, I no longer feel that I will be safe anywhere in that country. This saddens me very much. I still will get off the ship in Cozumel and costa Maya, but will be hesitant to venture further from the port now. Sad to say this, but I am finally getting scared. Unfortunately when you only stay in the port area, you don't get the real feel of the country, only "cookie cutter" venues geared to "tourists". this is not the way I like to visit cruise ports. Just me though, others will see it different.

There is an interesting comment on this article, if this guy really does have inside/local info, it does make sense and would be reassuring, to everyone who isn't the ferry operator's family anyway :( (I hope it's okay to quote the following reply here?) Of course I cant vouch for the info, or how he knows it's "obvious" but it is interesting to consider.

Kevin Orr ·

Omaha, Nebraska

If it's comforting to any cruiser- know that the attack and attempted attack isn't targeting cruisers/touists. It's became obvious it's to be detrimental to the ferry company operating those rides- who is owned by a man whose son is rival to the drug cartel taking responsibility. Avoid the ferry's and your safety and security as the same there they were before this. Cozumel has great beaches, snorkeling, mediocre ziplining, shopping. The big miss on the mainland is the caves.

The owner of Barcos Caribe was on the ferry at the time of the explosion. The owner is the father of the former Governor of Quintana Roo who is currently on trial for corruption and fraud charges. The explosive device was meant to incapacitate the ferry. Additional explosive devices were found on one other Barcos Caribe ferry. This ferry was moored off of Cozumel and has been for awhile.

I just came back from 3 weeks in PDC which is my home away from home. I go to PDC three or four times a year for a couple of weeks at a time. And have been staying in this area for 21 years. There are other issues going on in PDC now. PDC is the fastest growing city in Mexico and has been for quite a few years.

Barcos Caribe was the 3rd ferry to operate between PDC and Cozumel which the area needed for competition and reasonable ferry rates. Mexican Nationals use the ferry to commute to and from work. More work on the mainland. Prices for the ferry have already gone up.

Yes, I cruise too. 14 Carnival cruises under my belt. I just felt I needed to correct the above quoted statement.

Edited by Rio Negro

I used to feel that the crime did not impact the Caribbean side of Mexico, but am gradually seeing that change. Sadly, I no longer feel that I will be safe anywhere in that country.

I am sorry you feel this way and no matter you go in the world as a tourist you need to be aware and smart. BUT truth be told, I am so much more worried and scared to drop my 15 years off at high school everyday then I do taking him on a cruise to Mexico!!! And this goes for any high school in America these days so the worry is real!

BUT truth be told, I am so much more worried and scared to drop my 15 years off at high school everyday then I do taking him on a cruise to Mexico!!! And this goes for any high school in America these days so the worry is real!

Unfortunately I have to agree with this statement. Yes, I am much more concerned for my own (I am a high school librarian) and my kids’ (10th & 11th graders) safety when we are at our high schools than I am in being a tourist in Mexico. Sad, but true.

We are going to an AI in Playa next month that is near the ferry dock. My feeling is it’s still safer in Playa than walking around New Orleans and no country is immune from terrorist type attacks. I believe the U.S. is on some other countries travel advisory list. The U.S. government seems to overreact to everything, even more so these days, to perpetuate a culture of fear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Received updated Alert March 9, 2018

Security Alert - U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (March 9, 2018)

Event: Due to to an ongoing security threat, the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is revising its travel restrictions to Playa del Carmen for U.S. government personnel. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from travel to Centro, Calica, Gonzalo Guerrero, Quintas del Carmen, and Villas del Carmen neighborhoods of Playa del Carmen. These neighborhoods are bordered by Avenida Benito Juarez, 50 Avenida Sur (Highway 307), and Calle 34 Norte. U.S. citizens should avoid those neighborhoods until further notice. U.S. government personnel are authorized to travel to resort areas in Riviera Maya including those near Playa del Carmen that are outside the restricted neighborhoods of this Alert.

Absent additional changes in the security situation, the U.S. Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen will reopen for normal operations on Monday, March 12.

The circumstances surrounding the security threat affecting the above neighborhoods is separate from the threat against ferries operating between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. U.S. government personnel are still prohibited from using ferry services between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel until further notice. U. S. citizens should not use ferry services operating between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel

website: https://mx.usembassy.gov/security-alert-u-s-embassy-mexico-city-mexico-march-9-2018/

Edited by Rio Negro
Add website of Security Alert

I used to feel that the crime did not impact the Caribbean side of Mexico, but am gradually seeing that change. Sadly, I no longer feel that I will be safe anywhere in that country.

I am sorry you feel this way and no matter you go in the world as a tourist you need to be aware and smart. BUT truth be told, I am so much more worried and scared to drop my 15 years off at high school everyday then I do taking him on a cruise to Mexico!!! And this goes for any high school in America these days so the worry is real!

While the recent school shootings are very scary, statistically, there is NO comparison between the risk of being a victim of a violent crime at school or overseas. There are 50 million students in the USA. The VAST majority of them will go to a school that will never experience any such life threatening violent crime. Most won't even know or have any contact with someone that has personally gone through such a tragedy. Although, still very uncommon, American's are victims of violent crimes, and targets of terrorism overseas much more often, even though there are only about 11 million American's that even travel overseas.

Bottom line, it's not likely that either of those activities will harm us, but we should always be aware of our surroundings and watch for any warning signs. If you're the victim, it's of no reassurance that it is rare!

While the recent school shootings are very scary, statistically, there is NO comparison between the risk of being a victim of a violent crime at school or overseas. There are 50 million students in the USA. The VAST majority of them will go to a school that will never experience any such life threatening violent crime. Most won't even know or have any contact with someone that has personally gone through such a tragedy. Although, still very uncommon, American's are victims of violent crimes, and targets of terrorism overseas much more often, even though there are only about 11 million American's that even travel overseas.

Bottom line, it's not likely that either of those activities will harm us, but we should always be aware of our surroundings and watch for any warning signs. If you're the victim, it's of no reassurance that it is rare!

Statistics are great...on paper. Doesn’t change how I or my kids’ feel. But like anything else...we adapt and keep it moving, while traveling and while working & going to school.