Breaking Away from NCL after the Norwegian Breakaway

Chris2018

I will respectfully disagree and say that it gets nasty on all three forums. All three lines have their vocal supporters and defenders.

There is nasty posters on all forums. I'm sure many would think of me that way :)

My point is that I notice a lot more negative posts about NCL than on Carnival and Royal forums. It's noticeable. And after sailing NCL finally, I get why. It's not that it's a terrible product, it's that they do have a lot of things that are negative compared to other lines. So these may be things that don't bother most people, but it's enough to generate more negativity about their product.

There is nasty posters on all forums. I'm sure many would think of me that way :)

My point is that I notice a lot more negative posts about NCL than on Carnival and Royal forums. It's noticeable. And after sailing NCL finally, I get why. It's not that it's a terrible product, it's that they do have a lot of things that are negative compared to other lines. So these may be things that don't bother most people, but it's enough to generate more negativity about their product.

The amount of bad posts that you read about NCL compared to the millions of people who sail on the line is minuscule. It's hardly a scientific study or hard data.

The amount of bad posts that you read about NCL compared to the millions of people who sail on the line is minuscule. It's hardly a scientific study or hard data.

I never claimed it was scientific. I pointed out that in my observation, there is clearly a lot more negative posts in the NCL forum about their product than in the Royal and Carnival forums and considering some of the things NCL doesn't do well, it makes sense why that might be.

I never claimed it was scientific. I pointed out that in my observation, there is clearly a lot more negative posts in the NCL forum about their product than in the Royal and Carnival forums and considering some of the things NCL doesn't do well, it makes sense why that might be.

The Bride and I are thinking of trying Royal Carribbean this fall, I have seen tons of complaints about food in the dining rooms on their forums...also saying the ship is geared to teens...etc...I take it all with a grain of salt.

I think NCL, Caribbean and Carnival have more in common than differences myself.

Having cruised for 25 years on many cruise lines, I can tell you that things the OP mentions can happen on any ship on any cruise line. I must say that I have never heard nor do I believe that any cabin steward would say "deal with it" for any complaint.

I have had my cabin toilet not working for two days in Oasis of the Seas thus having to use the public bathrooms even in the middle of the night, I've been almost trampled on the Vista due to lack of theater space for that large of a ship and I have not been able to get in the pool on the Escape for lack of finding an inch of free water space. I wish Royal didn't serve the lobster anymore, it has gotten tasteless, I wish Carnival had 24 hour food available and more than just the pizza, etc. and so forth. I could go on.

The bottom line is that attitude does matter, we enjoy cruising and have fun and laugh no matter what happens - have we had better vacations than others, yes! I have a philosophy never say never and always try new things to be adventurous. We cruise for the itinerary or the ship depending on spur of the moment and always find something positive to say when we come back. We sail small/mid/large vessels. Our next two are NCL Sun and Celebrity Edge.

I think the OP is being unfair in many respects but it is her/his prerogative to openly express displeasure and desire to not take another NCL albeit negatively. Most people reading these boards take reviews with a grain of salt anyway.

I also want to point out that some of what bothers people can be explained by their mindset. I cruised with my grandchildren on Liberty of the Seas and some of the things that happened were pretty bad (toilet overflowing because someone else flushed a diaper in their cabin and then guest services not taking it seriously enough to see) but I was having such a great time that I barely even noticed.On the other hand I cruised recently on an NCL cruise where not so manyupsetting things happened but since I didn't have the diversion of my family they loomed big in my mind. Perspective, perspective, perspective.

It seems strange that you are trashing an entire cruise line after a single cruise, not to mention the amount of time you continue to spend on the NCL board doing so. I can’t imagine what your post count would look like if you were on the Carnival cruise where passengers had to poop in buckets.

It seems strange that you are trashing an entire cruise line after a single cruise, not to mention the amount of time you continue to spend on the NCL board doing so. I can’t imagine what your post count would look like if you were on the Carnival cruise where passengers had to poop in buckets.

Gosh, that would be like suggesting you shouldn't sail NCL because their ships spontaneously combust... Or did you forget that one?

Do you really need this explained? My issue with NCL had nothing to do with an out of the ordinary disaster or incident. The forum has an ignore function, add me to your ignore list. Problem solved.

I immediately dismiss any poster whose review is made of mostly negatives as well as posters that only bash a cruiseline. Someone who continually bashes obviously has a ax to grind and we'll never know the reason. I like to read good and bad and form my own opinions.

I think NCL, Caribbean and Carnival have more in common than differences myself.

We haven't done Carnival, but I tend to agree about NCL and RCCL. I notice differences, good and bad. My wife is even more easy-going than me, and wouldn't even be able to tell you which cruises were on which line without REALLY thinking about it. She remembers (rightfully so) the good, bad, ugly & amazing about each individual cruise and sort of ranks them that way. I'm a bit more hyper-aware of subtle differences...but having said that, I am happy with every cruise we've done on either line. If I were allowed, I would, of course, blend the two together in such a way to maximize the good stuff and minimize the more aggravating. Until the time I am granted such powers, I will no doubt continue to make my purchases based more on itinerary, timing and cost.

WE sailed the Breakaway last summer to Bermuda and enjoyed it. We are now seriously considering the new Baltic intinerary this July. I think this will give the whole experience a different flavor. My biggest issue is the size of the pool area and the crowds but we were in the Haven and also went to a couple of the less crowded deck areas.