Will the Cruise Lines drop Coz for a while?

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico now says the threat in Playa del Carmen is NOT ferry-related and other regional incidents:

---MEXICO CITY (AP) — The U.S. Embassy in Mexico said Thursday that a security alert about the Caribbean resort of Playa del Carmen was not related to an explosion on a ferry that injured at least two dozen people.

The embassy did not specify what kind of security threat it had been informed of in the resort, which is near Cancun, Cozumel and Tulum.

But it did say that "we do not have information relating the ferry explosion to the security threat in Playa del Carmen."

That threatened to complicate matters for one of Mexico's key tourism sites, since the ferry threats had at least already been known and, according to Mexican officials, were related to "business issues" with the ferry company.

Now it appears a different threat also exists. The area has also been hit, albeit infrequently, by drug violence, and the violent Jalisco cartel has been seen moving into the area.

---While the Caribbean coast — especially Cancun and the area south known as the "Riviera Maya" — has been largely spared the drug violence affecting other areas, there have been killings.

Last week four gunmen burst into a hospital in Cancun and shot to death a drug gang suspect and his wife.

In January 2017, gunmen attacked the state prosecutors' office in Cancun, killing four people. A day before that, a shooting at a music festival in Playa del Carmen left three foreigners and two Mexicans dead.

I agree that Cozumel is different than the mainland. Even if it wasn't, look at the incidents in the article. The shooting at the hospital was gang related. As for the music festival, no circumstances are given. That said, these kinds of things are happening in every major city in the U.S. on a daily basis. This is the media blowing things out of proportion and fear mongers feeding on it.

Hey, I`m not advocating that the cruise lines drop Coz! It`s just that I`ve seen them do some crazy knee-jerk reactions in my cruzing years. We`ll be headin that way in a week.

I will be curious if we see a heightened military presence.