Formal night on Allure of the Seas

Over the years, it's gotten less and less formal. Required dress codes have become "suggested" dress codes. For the first time in about 16 cruises, the men will not be carrying suits. They will wear slacks and dress shirts. You'll see some in a tux, some in khakis and polo shirts.

My husband would always wear a dress shirt, dress pants etc. When he wore a suit, he used to take the jacket off as soon as he arrived in the MDR as he was always warm.

Now, there are far more men just wearing khakis and golf shirts than I have ever seen.

I realize life onboard ships is far more casual and I am ok with that as long as some sense of decorum is used. JMO.

My husband would always wear a dress shirt, dress pants etc. When he wore a suit, he used to take the jacket off as soon as he arrived in the MDR as he was always warm.

Now, there are far more men just wearing khakis and golf shirts than I have ever seen.

I realize life onboard ships is far more casual and I am ok with that as long as some sense of decorum is used. JMO.

I stopped bringing a suit a couple of cruises ago but always bring a few long sleeved shirts with cufflinks and ties with matching trousers.

My husband and son (age 14) always wear a suit and tie. My son has cruised yearly since age 2. We do it because I like the formal pictures (sometimes use as Christmas card photo) to see how he grows up yearly. I also enjoy wearing my formal dress since I NEVER wear it at home. It's all really preference. Years ago people would look down on you if you didn't dress formal. Now people don't care as much which is nice but it gives those who want to dress up a little the opportunity to do so. We usually change back into comfy clothes right after dinner anyway!! Lately we dress up for only one of the "formal" ones just to get the pictures. Saves room in luggage that way too!

... Years ago people would look down on you if you didn't dress formal...

I still look down on those who choose to eat in the MDR without a suit or tux/gown or floor length dress on formal night. Not strictly because they don't dress up, but because they are inconsiderate of their fellow cruisers looking for a fancy night out. Seems like a great night to check out the buffet or Sorrentos if you can't be bothered to bring a suit. One should follow the dress code for the sake of their fellow passengers. To disregard such a guideline is classless and rude. Especially when there are other options. [/rant]

I still look down on those who choose to eat in the MDR without a suit or tux/gown or floor length dress on formal night. Not strictly because they don't dress up, but because they are inconsiderate of their fellow cruisers looking for a fancy night out. Seems like a great night to check out the buffet or Sorrentos if you can't be bothered to bring a suit. One should follow the dress code for the sake of their fellow passengers. To disregard such a guideline is classless and rude. Especially when there are other options. [/rant]

Question: Do you take pictures on formal night?

Yes plus you will find the ships photographers all over the ship taking photos.

And that's why I think they have formal nights. Yes, it's nice to dress up and see others dressed up. But there is a revenue component to it as well. It's probably why lobster night is a formal dress night.

Well people should never look down on those who choose to dress formally and eat in the main dining room. Just because you are wearing a tux/gown or floor length dress on formal night doesn't mean that you should be forced to eat at the buffet or Sorrentos if you don't want to.

Being formally dressed does not change the taste of the food nor the dining experience for the rest of us - so don't let anyone tell you any different.

You shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable in your formal wear for the sake of the other passengers just because you bothered to bring a suit. Despite the fact that you have gone along with a suggestion to dress formally, you have broken no rule.

Anyone who gives you a problem because of the way you are dressed is just classless and rude; especially when you have other options on ships to cruise.

• Like 1

As a society we have gotten too casual. Had a guy show up for an interview the other day wearing a polo, khakis and sketchers. I made sure to wear nice clothes that day, out of respect for the person I was interviewing, since I assumed he'd have the class and respect to wear something nicer than he'd wear to go the grocery store.

He won't be getting the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately it is only suggested dress code so as long as people dress smart the restaurant manager will say nothing.

I would never look down on a fellow cruise passenger.

As a society we have gotten too casual. Had a guy show up for an interview the other day wearing a polo, khakis and sketchers. I made sure to wear nice clothes that day, out of respect for the person I was interviewing, since I assumed he'd have the class and respect to wear something nicer than he'd wear to go the grocery store.

He won't be getting the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He showed disrespect for the interview and unless he fitted all other criteria and had excellent references his interview would have been over in 2 minutes.