Tulip Cruise Tips?

Rmac17

We're thinking of doing a Holland/Belgium tulip cruise in 2019. It would be our first river cruise and we're looking for tips, opinions, recommendations, basically any info you would like to share.

Thanks!

My wife and I did Uniworld's Antwerp to Amsterdam for the tulips last year and it was wonderful. Kukenhof Gardens is unbelievable.This was our second trip with Uniworld and since then we've taken our third cruise with them. Service, food and amenities are all excellent.

Good morning, I took a Tulip Time Cruise in April 2016 with AMA Waterways and it was fantastic:D it was my first Rivercruise and I highly recommend it The flowers (not just tulips) are absolutely beautiful! I sailed Amsterdam/Amsterdam........roundtrip.

The temps were cool (needed a sweater/jacket for touring) but I do remember it was sunny most every day!

I did Uniworld's Tulips and Windmills from Antwerp to Amsterdam in 2010. It was very cold when we started; I wore earmuffs, gloves and a heavy scarf. We got to Amsterdam on April 27, and went to Keukenhof on April 29. It had warmed up enough that I spent most of the day in shirtsleeves, and even before that I was only wearing a light windbreaker. Keukenhof was in full bloom, and absolutely gorgeous. Uniworld had 2 pickup times for us; I was sure that I would be on the earlier one, because I'm not really a flower person. No, I stayed until the end, because it was so incredible.

We actually ended up doing our Tulip cruise in March. I was prepared for cooler weather - but the weather was wonderful. Light sweater in the morning - t-shirts in the afternoon. Now, I know this isn't the norm - so I would recommend packing layers so you are prepared for any weather. You won't need to pack an umbrella (unless you are staying on before/after the cruise) as all river boats have them.

The Keukenhoff was amazing. So worth the visit. You have no way of knowing when the tulips will be in full bloom, but there are lots of other flowers to see.

If possible, look for a cruise that includes a stop at Zaanse Shans to see the windmills. On our 1st cruise in Holland/Belgium it was a "sail by". We went back again last year to see Flanders Fields, and other WWI and WWII sites - and an option was to visit the windmills. So glad we were able to see them.

Also - if you have an option to go to Bruges, I would take it.

Fran

The gardens at the Rikjsmuseum were full of tulips when we visited lasted year. There is also a fun fountain in the garden where you can stand in the middle as the water plays around you.

If you go to the Rikjsmuseum, download their app which will give you a great tour through the museum.

What towns are you visiting?