How/What To Pack for Alaska in July

Denise33

My husband and I are going on our very first cruise on the Bliss to Alaska the first week of July. I'm overwhelmed with all the different suggestions, blogs, ect...on how and what to pack. I want to travel as light as possible, but with others saying to dress in layers, I'm not sure how to go about it. Boots, coats, jackets, hanging organizer for the back of the bathroom door, your own bottles of wine...it's all so confusing!!:'):eek::o

As of now, we are each planning to take one suitcase each and one carry on.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. <3

Shorts and T-shirts for most ports (unless you are taking a trip onto a glacier).

Heavy coats, gloves, hats for glacier watching after Juneau.

Something in between while onboard the ship.

It rains a lot, so some rain gear.

You must hand carry your wine onboard in Seattle and pay corkage for each bottle brought onboard.

My husband and I are going on our very first cruise on the Bliss to Alaska the first week of July. I'm overwhelmed with all the different suggestions, blogs, ect...on how and what to pack. I want to travel as light as possible, but with others saying to dress in layers, I'm not sure how to go about it. Boots, coats, jackets, hanging organizer for the back of the bathroom door, your own bottles of wine...it's all so confusing!!:'):eek::o

As of now, we are each planning to take one suitcase each and one carry on.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. <3

First of all, relax. Don't get wound up with all the posts of what other people do for cruises. Those are their routines..as you cruise more, you'll find out what's best for you.

Alaska in July can run from the upper 40's at night to the upper 60's and low 70's during the day. Light, scattered rain showers are a threat at any time.

So, as a base layer, wear whatever clothes you're comfortable being active in. Bring a sweater or fleece to wear over that when the temperature drops. Bring a weatherproof outer layer, like a light jacket or shell, to put on over that when it's raining and a bit windy. Ok, you're packed.

The only reason you might need a heavier coat, and heavier shoes is if you are definitely planning on taking an excursion that goes out onto a glacier. Otherwise, you'll never need any of the heavier gear.

There's no "right" amount to pack. But a good rule of thumb is to pack once, then go through that and take out half of it. When you do that, you're getting down to what you might actually use.

But most of all, just go on the cruise and enjoy. If you find you absolutely need to buy a jacket or another sweater, or an umbrella, you can do that in any of the ports you visit.

I’ve done two AK cruises and I froze on my first one. Had to pay a premium to buy a coat in our first port because I was not prepared. Don’t be me.

The next one I went in knowing it could get very cold. I brought base layers, smartest decision ever. It’s a thin, insulating layer of wicking material worn snugly under clothing, much like the long johns of days gone by. We didn’t do anything like glacier hiking so I was able to get away with less of a coat - when out watching the glacier calving on the windy deck I did OK with my base layers and jeans, a turtleneck and a sweater with a raincoat. If going out on a glacier I would bring sock liners and waterproofed shoes.

On NCL there is no need for dressing up on “formal nights” so save your luggage space for your layers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shorts and T-shirts for most ports (unless you are taking a trip onto a glacier).

You must hand carry your wine onboard in Seattle and pay corkage for each bottle brought onboard.

It seems like a lot of larger type items to get packed into one bag on top of our daily needs. We aren't really thinking of taking wine, but I mentioned it as another example of all the misc information I'm trying to parse through.

We are going in June and just yesterday I was starting to think about my wardrobe. Wondering about needing shorts to a winter coat. I’ll be following the advice of seasoned travelers here! We are booked for a glacier excursion, so will bring my coat, but that flattens very nicely. Have water proof shoes from LL Bean. Purchased a rain jacket. Just need to figure out everything else.

First of all, relax. Don't get wound up with all the posts of what other people do for cruises. Those are their routines..as you cruise more, you'll find out what's best for you.

Alaska in July can run from the upper 40's at night to the upper 60's and low 70's during the day. Light, scattered rain showers are a threat at any time.

So, as a base layer, wear whatever clothes you're comfortable being active in. Bring a sweater or fleece to wear over that when the temperature drops. Bring a weatherproof outer layer, like a light jacket or shell, to put on over that when it's raining and a bit windy. Ok, you're packed.

The only reason you might need a heavier coat, and heavier shoes is if you are definitely planning on taking an excursion that goes out onto a glacier. Otherwise, you'll never need any of the heavier gear.

There's no "right" amount to pack. But a good rule of thumb is to pack once, then go through that and take out half of it. When you do that, you're getting down to what you might actually use.

But most of all, just go on the cruise and enjoy. If you find you absolutely need to buy a jacket or another sweater, or an umbrella, you can do that in any of the ports you visit.

Your response has really put me more at ease. Thank you. If there's ever such as thing as too much information, packing for this cruise would qualify for me.

I’ve done two AK cruises and I froze on my first one. Had to pay a premium to buy a coat in our first port because I was not prepared. Don’t be me.

The next one I went in knowing it could get very cold. I brought base layers, smartest decision ever. It’s a thin, insulating layer of wicking material worn snugly under clothing, much like the long johns of days gone by. We didn’t do anything like glacier hiking so I was able to get away with less of a coat - when out watching the glacier calving on the windy deck I did OK with my base layers and jeans, a turtleneck and a sweater with a raincoat. If going out on a glacier I would bring sock liners and waterproofed shoes.

On NCL there is no need for dressing up on “formal nights” so save your luggage space for your layers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This makes a lot of sense and more doable than bringing a heavy coat from Ohio in the middle of summer to the other side of the country. Thank you. I'm beginning to think I can figure this out.

But one more question if you don't mind. We have reservations at the Cagney Steakhouse one night. Since there aren't "formal nights" will my husband need a tie or suit jacket? We're more causal type people so he's really hoping not. :)

This list is completely inaccurate. While you might get away with shorts and tee shirts, jeans are a much better choice. You never need heavy coasts. Instead wear layers and leave the heavy coats at home. Hats and gloves are wise choices.

The best place for information about how to pack for AK is on the AK port of call board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

This makes a lot of sense and more doable than bringing a heavy coat from Ohio in the middle of summer to the other side of the country. Thank you. I'm beginning to think I can figure this out.

But one more question if you don't mind. We have reservations at the Cagney Steakhouse one night. Since there aren't "formal nights" will my husband need a tie or suit jacket? We're more causal type people so he's really hoping not. :)

No coat and tie needed for any restaurant on NCL. La Bistro requires long pants for men, but that is the most restrictive dress code you will encounter.

NCL has no requirements for any "formal wear" of any kind. There are "dress up or not" nights. and some people do like to dress up, but much less so on the Alaska cruise then on any other cruise.

I wear nice blue jeans or khakis and a collared shirt at any of the restaurants that have a dress code, and that's all your husband will need. Done the Alaska cruise 3x BTW.

I froze on my Alaska cruise in June. At one point I had on every warm article of clothing I brought with me, plus a blanket so I wouldn't miss glacier viewing!

I'd recommend a light weight hat. I had to buy an ear warmer in one of the ports.

A long sleeve wool base shirt

Smart wool socks

A fleece jacket (one that can zip into a waterproof shell might kill 2 birds with one stone)

To save luggage space, just carry the jacket. The other things don't take up much room.

Reading thru this, I really didn't see anyone mention the key words, 'DRESS IN LAYERS". That is the key to dressing for any trip to a colder climate.

Most of the ports, the temps will be around 70-80, depending on what time of year. The only time you will need a jacket is when the ship is around the glaciers. Places like Ketchikan are the rainiest place in the US, so you will always need some sort of waterproof jacket. We used a thinner, nylon jacket what was waterproof and added or subtracted layers as needed. If you tend to get cold easier, then a thin pair of gloves might work. Or even one of those throw away plastic raincoats are easy to add to any bag and then you are protected.

Really, don't sweat this. I would ditch all the shorts and settle for jeans, that way you can make double use out of them.

Alaska is wonderful. If you need more info, go over to the Alaska port of call board on this site. They are just a wealth of info and all are always glad to help.

Cheer

Len

Here’s what we did. It gets cold and windy when viewing the glaciers. We also took the small boat closer to the glacier. I wore hat, gloves, base layer, fleece and a jacket. It was chilly. I didn’t bring shorts only jeans, lightweight pants. The ports aren’t that warm, max of 70. We got incredibly lucky and had perfect weather the entire cruise, no rain. But we brought Frog Toggs rain layer and umbrella just in case, also waterproof hiking shoes. Ended up being that sneakers were fine for the hiking we did. Bring t shirts, long sleeve and jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you to everyone who replied! I feel much more at ease and think I can start to figure out what to pack and what to leave out.

Will be visiting the Alaska port of call today to get additional tips. Great idea!

This is optional, and highly depends on your budget, but if you travel any decent amount (or plan to), it's worth considering.

Hiking/travel pants.

I just bought two from my local Costco for $17.99. They look like slacks, but have an extra zip pocket kind of like that bottom bulging pocket of cargo pants, but it's super slim and hidden. They're relatively lightweight, water repellent, and have a hidden expanding elastic waist (gotta make room for the buffets :) ).

I also have a pair from REI. The REI pair is definitely higher quality. Much lighter and packable, bit more stretchy and comfy, etc. That said, it was like $60 vs the $18 of the Costco ones. They're all versatile in colors (khaki or black) so match with pretty much anything.

I'd only bring one pair of shoes as it's NCL. Whatever you can do light hiking with. I just go with tennis shoes.

As for tops, layering is key. I do a couple of t-shirts and a couple of long sleeves. A sweatshirt. A water resistant jacket.

If it's cold, I wear the sweatshirt and jacket. Otherwise, just one of the two should be fine. I don't like hanging out in the rain when it pours. So, I tend to leave my actual rain jacket (too plasticky and tends to trap heat too much) that is rain proof, and bring something like a thin North Face or Patagonia hoody jacket that is just rated water resistant. They're a bit warmer. Together with the sweater, it's just as warm as my ski jacket. You can wear them on the plane so you don't have to pack them.

I do bring a pair of thin gloves. I still have a pair that I bought in Alaska a decade ago or so, but I normally just bring the pair that came with my ski gloves.

If you have an excursion where you're on a glacier or hiking on ice, then I'd bring the ski gear. Otherwise, the layering should be fine.

I don't bring umbrellas. I find shelter if it's raining cats and dogs. Otherwise, your typical rain resistant jacket will take light rain just fine. The small umbrellas really don't do much. The big ones that provide actual cover from driving rain are WAY too big to pack.

For Men:

https://www.costco.com/UB-Tech-Men's-Travel-Pant.product.100303218.html

Any of the REI-Co Op brand hiking pants are great, but I have the Sahara Convertible.

I have these too, but they aren't comfortable so I don't recommend them:

https://www.costco.com/BC-Clothing-Men%E2%80%99s-Convertible-Pant-with-Stretch.product.100313737.html

For Women:

https://www.rei.com/product/108939/rei-co-op-sahara-convertible-pants-womens

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/womens-pants-shorts-casual-hiking/womens-aphrodite-20-pants-nf0a2uop?variationId=044#hero=0

(my wife swears by the North Face ones as they have a super comfy elastic waist and the fit and material is top notch; she has more than one pair)