Found man's wedding band on Allure of the Seas cabin 9329

I am not sure I would just give the ring to an employee on the way off the ship. I would want some paperwork filled out before I turned the ring over to anyone. Not everyone is trust worthy.

I agree. I'm guessing that if you just gave it to a crew member on your way off the ship, there's maybe a 50/50 shot of it actually making it to the lost and found department.

A little free legal advice (from someone who gets paid for such advice). However noble the OP’s motives may have been, they opened themselves up to allegations of theft. Generally speaking, the law requires that when you find someone’s valuable proerty, you turn it in to the authorities.

Taking a piece of jewelry out of the safe and bringing it home, in hopes of finding the owner by posting on a message board, does not satisfy the legal requirements that you turn the property over to the authorities.

Finding a wallet with ID and returning it to the original owner is a lot different than trying to find a mysterious owner of a piece of jewelry.

OP, send the ring to Royal Caribbean and tell them where you found it. They are far more likely than you to reunite the ring with its owner.

Edited by songbird1329

I am not sure I would just give the ring to an employee on the way off the ship. I would want some paperwork filled out before I turned the ring over to anyone. Not everyone is trust worthy.

I agree. I'm guessing that if you just gave it to a crew member on your way off the ship, there's maybe a 50/50 shot of it actually making it to the lost and found department.

So you believe that ship security and other personnel are, as a group, thieves?

A little free legal advice (from someone who gets paid for such advice). However noble the OP’s motives may have been, they opened themselves up to allegations of theft. Generally speaking, the law requires that when you find someone’s valuable proerty, you turn it in to the authorities.

Taking a piece of jewelry out of the safe and bringing it home, in hopes of finding the owner by posting on a message board, does not satisfy the legal requirements that you turn the property over to the authorities.

Finding a wallet with ID and returning it to the original owner is a lot different than trying to find a mysterious owner of a piece of jewelry.

OP, send the ring to Royal Caribbean and tell them where you found it. They are far more likely than you to reunite the ring with its owner.

Wasn’t it his safe fit the week?

State law or federal you are citing? Please tell me the statute.

Tell me, if you were prosecuting this potential theft case would you have more than a .0001% chance of winning.

Looks like they take the roll calls off after the sailing....? I could not find it. I'm not savvy at these, I literally just created an account because of this band. Guess I should have just left it in the cabin. :(

That was OP's last post even though the roll call links were provided.

Wasn’t it his safe fit the week?

State law or federal you are citing? Please tell me the statute.

Tell me, if you were prosecuting this potential theft case would you have more than a .0001% chance of winning.

https://legalbeagle.com/6728312-florida-state-law-innkeeper-laws.html

https://law.justia.com/codes/florida/2005/TitleXL/ch0705.html

I’m citing a Florida law because this ship sails out of Florida.

If you follow the rules you get to keep the property if it isn’t claimed. There was a kid who found $10,000 in a hotel dresser drawer in Kansas City a few years ago, turned it in, and eventually got to keep it because the original owner did not come forward.

Imagine if he spent the money instead of turning it in, and then the original owner claimed it.

Now, do I really think that the OP would be prosecuted for theft? Probably not. But posting on a message board in the hope that the real owner might see it...well, does it show a real attempt to return the property to the true owner? Or is it just a way to soothe a guilty conscience and keep the ring? I don’t know the OP or his/her motives, but objectively speaking, it doesn’t look good.

The one thing these stories do not have in common with the current issue is that the ships are under Bahamas jurisdiction. (Or some other country).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When a vessel is docked in port it is subject to the jurisdiction of the country where it is docked

And yet another cautionary tale. She claims she intended to track down the owner, but her efforts were not convincing

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/finder-of-lost-wedding-ring-gets-arrested-sues-owner/article_554f77dc-76c5-56fb-b8e0-6fef83191cde.html

All a bit different than a guying being called to disembark a public vessel with little time to cognitively process decision scenarios and no time to stand in long lines at guest relations. Then he posts on here and perhaps has done more. I’m quite certain this situation would never result in a criminal charge unless there was other evidence.

All a bit different than a guying being called to disembark a public vessel with little time to cognitively process decision scenarios and no time to stand in long lines at guest relations. Then he posts on here and perhaps has done more. I’m quite certain this situation would never result in a criminal charge unless there was other evidence.

The key here is visible manifestation of an intent to return the ring to its true owner. The OP posted on this message board, indicating a ship and cabin number. OP was directed to the role calls for the ship, but didn’t post there. OP did not, to our knowledge, contact Royal Caribbean or local Florida law enforcement.

Is this enough to show an intent to find the true owner, or is it a halfhearted attempt which the OP is using to justify keeping the ring?

Probably not enough to get a conviction, but certainly enough for a zealous prosecutor to make someone miserable for a few months. Is the ring really worth it?

So you believe that ship security and other personnel are, as a group, thieves?

maybe not as a group but I feel quite comfortable in saying that I don't trust all employees. I don't trust all the employees that I work with, I don't think I am going to trust people I don't know and will probably never see again.

maybe not as a group but I feel quite comfortable in saying that I don't trust all employees. I don't trust all the employees that I work with, I don't think I am going to trust people I don't know and will probably never see again.

But in the context of someone else’s lost property ... I understand not wanting to hand it over to housekeeping, but turn it in at the desk and get a receipt.

But in the context of someone else’s lost property ... I understand not wanting to hand it over to housekeeping, but turn it in at the desk and get a receipt.

I would not have a problem doing that. And possibly the OP would have done that except they were on the way off the ship.

The key here is visible manifestation of an intent to return the ring to its true owner. The OP posted on this message board, indicating a ship and cabin number. OP was directed to the role calls for the ship, but didn’t post there. OP did not, to our knowledge, contact Royal Caribbean or local Florida law enforcement.

Is this enough to show an intent to find the true owner, or is it a halfhearted attempt which the OP is using to justify keeping the ring?

Probably not enough to get a conviction, but certainly enough for a zealous prosecutor to make someone miserable for a few months. Is the ring really worth it?

I believe that the abuse directed at someone for trying to find the owner via CC, not a lack of intent (however misguided) might be the reason we have not seen OP reply.

Just for the record, men's wedding rings are usually valued in the hundreds not thousands of dollars. With more sentimental value than monetary, I don't think OP really wants to keep this ring.

In the linked articles, it should be noted that the only reason those expensive rings are reported to police as lost or stolen, is so they can be claimed on insurance.

Therefore if the purpose is to make certain the OP never returns to check if the ring's owner surfaces, well done!

If the purpose to to make sure we are all sufficiently afraid to even remove the found item from the safe, well done!

If the purpose is to highlight how ridiculously these statutes can be used by law enforcement / prosecutors and how litigious our society has become, unqualified success has been achieved.