Found man's wedding band on Allure of the Seas cabin 9329

Too 1/3 of my class, law review, passed the NY bar my fist time, practicing law since 1984. (G-d I'm getting old).

This is a message board, dear, not the SCOTUS. If I were citing something as stare decisis, I'd be using perfect Bluebook form,

What law school?

What I don't understand is why the OP deserves the benefit of doubt while the entire crew of a ship can be labelled thieves.

I am pretty sure I was the first one to say that not all employees are trustworthy. However, at no time did I imply that the entire crew were thieves. I guess I could turn your statement around and question why some people question the OP's motives/morals and at the same time think that no one on the crew would ever be anything but 100% trustful.

I am pretty sure I was the first one to say that not all employees are trustworthy. However, at no time did I imply that the entire crew were thieves. I guess I could turn your statement around and question why some people question the OP's motives/morals and at the same time think that no one on the crew would ever be anything but 100% trustful.

Suggesting an employee might be untrustworthy in a particular situtation seems to me to be labeling all employees untrustworthy.

If memory serves there is only a post or two questioning OP motives. There are a large number of posts questioning the decision to take the item off the ship. Criticising a decision in no way questions motives or morals.

If you say so.

If you're going to judge on ones grammar and validity of their autocorrectedness (yes I made that up)...you should make sure your grammar is on point...especially when touting you were "Too" 1/3 of your class :'):'):'):'):'):')

If you're going to judge on ones grammar and validity of their autocorrectedness (yes I made that up)...you should make sure your grammar is on point...especially when touting you were "Too" 1/3 of your class :'):'):'):'):')

Playing grammar police and making up words in the same post? I'm so impressed. :rolleyes:

Playing grammar police and making up words in the same post? I'm so impressed. :rolleyes:

I'm not playing grammar police...I know my grammar relies heavily on spell check and auto correct and proof readers...even though I was "too" 5 of my class as an undergraduate and graduate in the college. I am fully aware of my deficiencies in that department (but I do know the difference between there, their, and they're...or to, too, and two...so I consider that a win)

I just get a good laugh out of one who plays the grammar police and then has a glaring error when trying to emphasize how smart they are.

We all do it...especially with smart phones and iPads and all that fun stuff.

I'm not playing grammar police...I know my grammar relies heavily on spell check and auto correct and proof readers...even though I was "too" 5 of my class as an undergraduate and graduate in the college. I am fully aware of my deficiencies in that department (but I do know the difference between there, their, and they're...or to, too, and two...so I consider that a win)

I just get a good laugh out of one who plays the grammar police and then has a glaring error when trying to emphasize how smart they are.

We all do it...especially with smart phones and iPads and all that fun stuff.

Agreed. As a former English teacher who spent half my working years proofreading legal briefs,, I absolutely cringe at some of the grammar on these boards from people for whom English is a first language and theoretically finished high school and yet my autocorrect has given me some doozies.

Uhm...neither of these links suggest the OP did the wrong thing. You have to remove the property to turn it over to law enforcement, and ship security technically is not law enforcement within the state of FL. Nothing worse than an armchair attorney. No one knows what the OP did, and I expect by some of the nonsense in this string, they simply stopped checking in because they did the right thing, found the owner via RC, and is now living a happy life having done the right thing. Rather than slinging unsubstantiated claims and half-baked opinions...

https://legalbeagle.com/6728312-florida-state-law-innkeeper-laws.html

https://law.justia.com/codes/florida/2005/TitleXL/ch0705.html

I’m citing a Florida law because this ship sails out of Florida.

If you follow the rules you get to keep the property if it isn’t claimed. There was a kid who found $10,000 in a hotel dresser drawer in Kansas City a few years ago, turned it in, and eventually got to keep it because the original owner did not come forward.

Imagine if he spent the money instead of turning it in, and then the original owner claimed it.

Lighten up Francis,

they already explained why!

(y)(y)

Two lessons to learn from this :

Consensus is that don't take something which doesn't belong to you. It is the ship's responsibility not yours to handle lost items. IMO you should leave the item in the cabin with a note or hand it in to an officer or guest services.

Don't post on CC because a lot of righteous people who never put a foot wrong will jump on you.

Now for some advice. If you take it upon yourself to find the rightful owner of a lost item then you have to accept that you are left holding the baby. That means making sufficient endeavours to find the rightful owner. In addition to contacting RCI, I would make efforts to find person via SoME (Facebook, twitter). Cabin number, ship, date of sailing and inscription would help with this. I am not convinced that posting on CC alone would help.

They should absolutely not post what the inscription is. That is one way that they can verify who the owner is.

Uhm...neither of these links suggest the OP did the wrong thing. You have to remove the property to turn it over to law enforcement, and ship security technically is not law enforcement within the state of FL. Nothing worse than an armchair attorney. No one knows what the OP did, and I expect by some of the nonsense in this string, they simply stopped checking in because they did the right thing, found the owner via RC, and is now living a happy life having done the right thing. Rather than slinging unsubstantiated claims and half-baked opinions...

Um, we don't know what the OP did or did not do.

But let me explain my response.

Let's assume that the ring is expensive, worth about $1,000.

Hypothetical #1 They find the ring in the safe, realize it has value. They turn it over to Royal Caribbean or to a TSA employee. Finding the owner is no longer their problem. And if the owner does not appear to collect his property, they have a chance of legitimately keeping the ring.

Hypothetical #2 They take the ring home, post on message boards, Facebook, etc., looking for the owner. They call Royal Caribbean and tell the company they have the ring and they are looking for the owner. Somehow these efforts pay off, and the ring and owner are reunited.

Hypothetical #3 Same as #2, except they cannot find the original owner despite their best efforts. They decide to sell the ring. At the pawn shop, the jeweler realizes the ring is on his list of stolen property. He calls the police. The finders explain their efforts to locate the original owner. The police accept the explanation, the ring is returned to a grateful owner, who pays the finders a reward.

Hypothetical #4. They take the ring home, maybe make a few half-hearted attempts to locate the real owner. They tell themselves that they are entitled to keep the ring. This time, though, when the jeweler in the pawn shop realizes they have stolen property, they have no objective proof that they intended to return the ring to the original owner. And, just like the people in my two news stories, they wind up facing criminal charges.

These were just newspaper stories, so I do not know all the details of either case. I don't think there was a conviction in the Georgia case. But even if you get acquitted of the charges, you still have a huge headache if you're charged with a crime, including paying for your legal defense.

We have no way of knowing if the OP really found a ring. We have no way of knowing what real efforts they made to find the ring's owner. we do not know the value of the ring they found. So we have no way of truly judging their actions or motives.

But frankly, when you're given legal advice on how to avoid a headache...you might want to consider such advice.

Um, we don't know what the OP did or did not do.

But let me explain my response.

Let's assume that the ring is expensive, worth about $1,000.

Hypothetical #1 They find the ring in the safe, realize it has value. They turn it over to Royal Caribbean or to a TSA employee. Finding the owner is no longer their problem. And if the owner does not appear to collect his property, they have a chance of legitimately keeping the ring.

Hypothetical #2 They take the ring home, post on message boards, Facebook, etc., looking for the owner. They call Royal Caribbean and tell the company they have the ring and they are looking for the owner. Somehow these efforts pay off, and the ring and owner are reunited.

Hypothetical #3 Same as #2, except they cannot find the original owner despite their best efforts. They decide to sell the ring. At the pawn shop, the jeweler realizes the ring is on his list of stolen property. He calls the police. The finders explain their efforts to locate the original owner. The police accept the explanation, the ring is returned to a grateful owner, who pays the finders a reward.

Hypothetical #4. They take the ring home, maybe make a few half-hearted attempts to locate the real owner. They tell themselves that they are entitled to keep the ring. This time, though, when the jeweler in the pawn shop realizes they have stolen property, they have no objective proof that they intended to return the ring to the original owner. And, just like the people in my two news stories, they wind up facing criminal charges.

These were just newspaper stories, so I do not know all the details of either case. I don't think there was a conviction in the Georgia case. But even if you get acquitted of the charges, you still have a huge headache if you're charged with a crime, including paying for your legal defense.

We have no way of knowing if the OP really found a ring. We have no way of knowing what real efforts they made to find the ring's owner. we do not know the value of the ring they found. So we have no way of truly judging their actions or motives.

But frankly, when you're given legal advice on how to avoid a headache...you might want to consider such advice.

I think the only person getting a headache over this is you.