Bringing laptop onboard

Banana15

I actually bought a tiny alarm clock/ night light....carry on suitcase

I had read, then experimented my self. Old style plug in analog clock does not like ship electricity. Only about 105 volts, clock lost about 7 minutes a day.....On one cruise we were waiting for disembarkation, waiting at the rail. Watched longshoreman throwing suitcases/bags 30+ feet onto cement floor despite pax yelling at him from ship.

I had read, then experimented my self. Old style plug in analog clock does not like ship electricity. Only about 105 volts, clock lost about 7 minutes a day.....On one cruise we were waiting for disembarkation, waiting at the rail. Watched longshoreman throwing suitcases/bags 30+ feet onto cement floor despite pax yelling at him from ship.

That’s really odd. I wonder why that happens. I actually have a battery operated one, so as look as I actually remember to get good batteries before we leave, I should be ok there. But I’m glad you mentioned that because the only reason I got the battery operated one was to avoid using any of the outlets so we would have it for other items. That’s just very weird.

That’s really awful. I know they have to get all these bags on board. I know some are heavy and it’s often extremely hot out there, but I would never throw someone’s items around like that. We actually got some expensive luggage as a wedding gift and I won’t even use it for our trips because I know they would be ruined. I just bring them on road trips. It stinks because it really is nice luggage. And now, being forced to put all our toiletries in the checked bags, it’s even more difficult because we have to SOMEHOW keep those items from busting open with the way they toss it around.

I don't need a laptop on a cruise. For internet browsing, my i-phone plus size, serves my purposes, and if I really do find the need for a laptop, I can always use one in the internet cafe on board the ship. Sure is nice not to have to lug one around....

I agree, it would be nice. I have to bring mine with me for work.

Just a reminder the extra steps of going through TSA. We always bring at least one and it can be a bit of a pain carrying (always in a backpack), then the added pull it out, put it in the bin, worry about it rattling around through the screening and then stuffing it back in the bag. It is still well worth it to us, just a thing.

Get TSA Pre-Check, or even better, Global Entry, and then you do not have to take your laptop out of your bag.

I travel a lot for work, and even carry a laptop when on many personal trips.

I just leave it out on the desk. No problems. I do lock the screen with a password.

Even cameras and other small devices, I have not had any theft issues.

Get TSA Pre-Check, or even better, Global Entry, and then you do not have to take your laptop out of your bag.

Usually. it always seems to be the most inconvenient times when you're in a rush that they decide to single you out for a check. Grrr.

(I have Nexus that gives me GE privileges, and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.)

I agree, it would be nice. I have to bring mine with me for work.

I can understand that, and you have my sympathy....to me it can't be a real vacation if you have to work while on it...

but the other side of that is it sure is a nice environment to be in, while you are working...:)

Usually. it always seems to be the most inconvenient times when you're in a rush that they decide to single you out for a check. Grrr.

(I have Nexus that gives me GE privileges, and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.)

Yeah, there is that.

At least, with Pre-Check the extra check is normally just a hand swab that takes a minute.

I used to take a laptop when I did "Live" reports.

But now I leave it at home -- not worth all the trouble -- especially since we have to fly and change planes.

But if you cruise on HAL, the cabins are ready at 11:30 and you can drop it off in your cabin and do whatever you want to do.

Interesting thread, and merit for the cost of TSA Pre-Check for anyone that flies much at all. I carry a MacBook in my carry-on and it doesn't need to come out of the bag anymore. At the screening for cruises (those are not TSA, they are contract private security folks) I leave all of the cameras, iPods, iPads and whatever in the bag with no problems.

As someone above described, the shock your luggage experiences is enough to damage the read/write arm in the hard drive of most computers. While the newer ones are SSD drives you'd increase the risk of damage by checking the computer with your luggage.

One option, and a good one if all you are doing is checking web based things is a Chromebook. They are cheap, work amazing and some decent ones can be had for under $200.

I'm going to be needing a replacement for my Thinkpad soon, and I've been looking at the Surface Pro. Any complaints? It's pricey, but might be worth it?

I tried twice to get comfortable with the first and second generation Surface. The keyboard is flimsy to me, even on the new ones.

Take a look at the Lenovo small computers at Best Buy and other stores. The ones with the SSD drive and flip feature make for cool Netflix machines when not being used as a computer. My daughter uses one as her 11" television to watch Fox News and CNN in the mornings.