Forgot to pack but Wish you did for Alaska Cruise

floridian1

Hey there - I've got a couple of pairs of Keens for hiking in the Pacific NW, and they're great. This style is waterproof.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/W-TERRADORA-WP.html?dwvar_W-TERRADORA-WP_color=1017695&cgid=collections_terradora_all

thanks for the idea, Can also use these shoes living in Florida and for our Alaska trip

Has anyone used or seen people use in Alaska those waterproof boot/shoe covers with rubber soles? We are thinking about buying those as we currently don't have waterproof boots/shoes. They range in price from $10-20 per pair and we could use them on other trips/vacation that we don't want to take hiking boots but hey will still easily fit in our luggage. I actually discovered these planning a trip to Shanghai later this year and read about someone being there in the rain and seeing everyone wearing them and wishing they had them. Thoughts on these types of covers. We are going to be with 3 kids ages 1-4 so no major hiking.

Has anyone used or seen people use in Alaska those waterproof boot/shoe covers with rubber soles? We are thinking about buying those as we currently don't have waterproof boots/shoes. They range in price from $10-20 per pair and we could use them on other trips/vacation that we don't want to take hiking boots but hey will still easily fit in our luggage. I actually discovered these planning a trip to Shanghai later this year and read about someone being there in the rain and seeing everyone wearing them and wishing they had them. Thoughts on these types of covers. We are going to be with 3 kids ages 1-4 so no major hiking.
Do you mean something like these? http://www.tingleyrubber.com/c/footwear_over-the-shoe

I bought some several years ago at a "farm and fleet" store. They fit over my New Balance shoes and I plan on taking them along.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

I forgot my swimsuit. That's was just wrong as I couldn't join the hot tubbers. My most helpful item was a light waterproof windbreaker. It was only cold when we cruised the glacier and then I wore a parka. The rest of the time I was good in a sweatshirt and a jean jacket and the aforementioned windbreaker. Really, that windbreaker was great in the rain with a sweatshirt underneath and it could be folded up compactly when I didn't need it and stored in my purse (it folded into its own packet made out of a pocket.) I wore it in every port. I threw it on when I went outside on the ship. I've worn it at home since then. It's the first thing I'll pack when I go back this year. Mine was by Columbia. Unfortunately, it was bright red but then I'm easy to find when I wear it. I also forgot binoculars. Not easily replaced either. Don't forget your binoculars.

Right now i see a lot of weatherproof boots, but i haven't seen the shoe covers. Maybe you can start a trend!!

So as part of our prep we had detailed packing lists for everyone. Constantly in the week leading up to the cruise last August reviewing items and reminding both daughters (13 & 9) what they needed to pack. Stopped at an outlet mall on the way to the airport as DW wanted a new rain jacket for the trip. We are in the store and it is at this point that DD13 remembers that she didn't pack her jacket (you know the new one we had bought her for the trip). [emoji51]

Now not to be outdone, as we are pulling in to Juneau for our first stop we find out that DD9 didn't pack any socks. None. Zilch. Zero. Her American girl doll had multiple outfits, including socks. [emoji31]

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Forums mobile app

• Haha 1

Hey there - I've got a couple of pairs of Keens for hiking in the Pacific NW, and they're great. This style is waterproof.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/W-TERRADORA-WP.html?dwvar_W-TERRADORA-WP_color=1017695&cgid=collections_terradora_all

Thanks! I just ordered these and a pair of Mephisto Allrounder Fina Tex someone else mentioned. So many good tips here!

So as part of our prep we had detailed packing lists for everyone. Constantly in the week leading up to the cruise last August reviewing items and reminding both daughters (13 & 9) what they needed to pack. Stopped at an outlet mall on the way to the airport as DW wanted a new rain jacket for the trip. We are in the store and it is at this point that DD13 remembers that she didn't pack her jacket (you know the new one we had bought her for the trip). [emoji51]

Now not to be outdone, as we are pulling in to Juneau for our first stop we find out that DD9 didn't pack any socks. None. Zilch. Zero. Her American girl doll had multiple outfits, including socks. [emoji31]

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the morning laugh.

Thanks! I just ordered...a pair of Mephisto Allrounder Fina Tex someone else mentioned. So many good tips here!

Oh no!!! We’ll be wearing the exact same shoes; I hope we aren’t going on the same cruise as we’ll be “twins” LOL :eek::D;) Mine are the ‘gray’ ones but in person, they have a bit of a green cast, which is fine with me as they aren’t needing to match my dressy clothes!

DH and I walk the neighborhood (rural rougher streets, not smooth concrete) and these seem to be working well. It’s still not too hot in our part of Texas and I’m hoping the waterproof ness of these shoes won’t make them seem hot when I need these here at home.

When you get to try them out a bit, sunpsyche, post your thoughts. BTW: is the ‘psyche’ part of your name due to working in that field or because you enjoy the sun? I ask as we are in the field.

Wow, would have totally forgot the sunscreen. Glad I've read this thread. I always remember sunscreen for my ski trips, so can't believe I missed that one for my list of things to bring.

My tip, bring more money and possibly a second suitcase. We've been to Alaska twice, never on a cruise though and first trip we ended up buying 2 pieces of luggage in Anchorage to hold everything we bought. Lucky for us, we were flying first class, so didn't have to be concerned with the add'l baggage fees and even brought a couple of extra bags home for our friends. Ended up spending twice what we originally planned for. If you buy authentic Alaska merchandise, it adds up quick. We picked up 20 Ulu knives from the Ulu Factory for family and friends. Still have ours after 10 years and it works great for salad prepping and we were the favorite friends that Christmas!

Wow, would have totally forgot the sunscreen. Glad I've read this thread. I always remember sunscreen for my ski trips, so can't believe I missed that one for my list of things to bring.

My tip, bring more money and possibly a second suitcase. We've been to Alaska twice, never on a cruise though and first trip we ended up buying 2 pieces of luggage in Anchorage to hold everything we bought. Lucky for us, we were flying first class, so didn't have to be concerned with the add'l baggage fees and even brought a couple of extra bags home for our friends. Ended up spending twice what we originally planned for. If you buy authentic Alaska merchandise, it adds up quick. We picked up 20 Ulu knives from the Ulu Factory for family and friends. Still have ours after 10 years and it works great for salad prepping and we were the favorite friends that Christmas!

This post made me chuckle. We always leave a little room in our cases for shopping plus I pack an extra fold away bag in case that shopping goes a bit mad. However, one year, on a visit to Victoria & Vancouver, we had to buy an extra case because I really shopped! Mostly gifts, I might add. Other times, and I can think of San Francisco 2 years ago especially, I again had to buy another case as the spare bag wasn’t big enough. I’d hit Macy’s pretty hard that trip and almost had a new wardrobe when I’d finished!

So, my first cruise coming up in May on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska and I’m really excited, I’ve been learning a lot about what to pack and think I’ve got everything covered thanks to lots of research and time spent skimming through CC.

Happy cruising everyone.

DarwinsRule, your post made me laugh. And remember the time our daughter, about 9 at the time, decided not to bring her winter coat on a ski weekend. I refused to take her to a fancy ski boutique, so she had to borrow sweaters from the rest of us and layer up like a little homeless child.

Can you let me know where the Ulu Factory is located. Also, what is the price of the knife and or gift set (bowl + knife)

Can you let me know where the Ulu Factory is located. Also, what is the price of the knife and or gift set (bowl + knife)

They're right in downtown Anchorage. Here's the Google link:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ulu+Factory/@61.2228917,-149.8945085,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2b9362843e6b772d!8m2!3d61.2228917!4d-149.8857538

It's been 10 years since I bought mine but think they were like $25 bucks or so. I bought all knives with cutting boards but they have a huge selection of other things as well. Pretty cool store indeed.

I read about this brand of waterproof shoes in one of the guide books. It's called Xtratuf and they are known as the Alaskan sneaker. I found a pair of deck shoes on Amazon and they have been very comfortable. I bought the women's Finatic but I'm also considering buying the Chumrunner. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

It wasn’t forgotten but one the 3 previous AK cruises, I didn’t have a jacket that was long enough. I could keep legs warm from knees to toes and was fine from hips to head but my legs above the knees would be cold. So I found a couple of items, 2 different weights, that are longer and I can layer together or with other items of clothing. Both have dual zippers so can stay closed but still be unzipped as needed from bottom up or from top down or both. Previous cruises were in Aug or Sept but upcoming is in May so expecting cooler temps than before.

Also bringing a waterproof sneaker-style shoe that will serve multiple purposes: fine in rain, good for walking, hiking, and even exercise...saves on number of shoes!

Hi I'd love to know which sho you decided on. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi I'd love to know which sho you decided on. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, AlaskaNewbie!

I got the Mephisto Allrounder Fina Tex via the Mephisto website as they had them on sale. Those with the word “Tex” in them show the shoe has their Mephisto-Tex feature which makes them waterproof. At theist one other on this thread got the same ones.

Note that several others have posted their favorites too so you might take some notes and see which styles/features/prices are a good fit for you.

Happy shopping!!

Edited by gotta cruise again
typo fix

Do you mean something like these? http://www.tingleyrubber.com/c/footwear_over-the-shoe

I bought some several years ago at a "farm and fleet" store. They fit over my New Balance shoes and I plan on taking them along.

I'm thinking more like these

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Motorcycle-Covers-Reusable-Overshoes/dp/B0719L55Y2/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1523216855&sr=1-10&keywords=waterproof+shoe+covers

They cover the entire shoe and come in clear or black.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, AlaskaNewbie!

I got the Mephisto Allrounder Fina Tex via the Mephisto website as they had them on sale. Those with the word “Tex” in them show the shoe has their Mephisto-Tex feature which makes them waterproof. At theist one other on this thread got the same ones.

Note that several others have posted their favorites too so you might take some notes and see which styles/features/prices are a good fit for you.

Happy shopping!!

Thank you!

Glad you found this as I was just about to post a link as I came across the same thing the other day when searching for rain footwear alternatives. I am thinking of getting a pair. My one ankle is fused so I can't wear just any shoe or boot. Price is good so worth taking a chance. In the meantime, read that cyclists often wear something similar so going to check out a local cycling shop first.

Sandy :)

They are from Mephisto, one of their Allrounder styles with their Mephi-Tex fabric. They will serve me as a sneaker in a pinch, like on a cruise, but I wouldn’t use them for that purpose all the time. These are great for walking and due to the sole, should be fine if we do any light hiking. And then there is the waterproof factor!

I’ve got 3 other pairs of Mephisto, and DH has 3 pairs. We both still wear some we’ve had since 1999 as you can send the shoes back to be re-soled and refurbished—they’ll look almost new (of course the renewal will cost money but far less than a new pair).

The brand is quite spendy so be prepared! The company’s website was having a sale so I got mine there; do Google around to make sure there isn’t a better price on same or similar style. I did look and couldn’t find any better deal elsewhere; this sale was recent and may still be going on.

While you’re price checking, you might come across some other brand that will also serve your needs so keep an eye out! Hope this helps :)

thanks for the suggestion and sales tip. Just order a pair today for our July trip and still on sale! ;p

Ah, those would give more coverage up the ankle, especially in a downpour!