Forgot to pack but Wish you did for Alaska Cruise

floridian1

Do you mean something like these? http://www.tingleyrubber.com/c/footwear_over-the-shoe

I bought some several years ago at a "farm and fleet" store. They fit over my New Balance shoes and I plan on taking them along.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

Great thread. Great information. My DH has these and plans on taking them.

Hey there - I've got a couple of pairs of Keens for hiking in the Pacific NW, and they're great. This style is waterproof.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/W-TERRADORA-WP.html?dwvar_W-TERRADORA-WP_color=1017695&cgid=collections_terradora_all

I just bought a similiar pair of waterproof shoes. Columbia is the brand name. I was able to order them online at Kohls.com. They fit great. Ordered a 1/2 size larger then I wear since some of the reviews suggested to do that. They are comfortable too.

Glad you found this as I was just about to post a link as I came across the same thing the other day when searching for rain footwear alternatives. I am thinking of getting a pair. My one ankle is fused so I can't wear just any shoe or boot. Price is good so worth taking a chance. In the meantime, read that cyclists often wear something similar so going to check out a local cycling shop first.

Sandy :)

I think we are going to be ordering a couple pairs in the near future, but would love to hear about your experience at the bike shop and if you learn anything. I think for the price they are going into our travel bags

We were in Tokyo last October and it poured our last couple of days and I wish we would have had these. I've never heard of them but in planning a trip to Hong Kong & Shanghai this October heard (podcast) about someone seeing them all over one of those cities (Shanghai i'm almost positive) when it poured.

Oh no!!! We’ll be wearing the exact same shoes; I hope we aren’t going on the same cruise as we’ll be “twins” LOL :eek::D;) Mine are the ‘gray’ ones but in person, they have a bit of a green cast, which is fine with me as they aren’t needing to match my dressy clothes!

DH and I walk the neighborhood (rural rougher streets, not smooth concrete) and these seem to be working well. It’s still not too hot in our part of Texas and I’m hoping the waterproof ness of these shoes won’t make them seem hot when I need these here at home.

When you get to try them out a bit, sunpsyche, post your thoughts. BTW: is the ‘psyche’ part of your name due to working in that field or because you enjoy the sun? I ask as we are in the field.

Hi, gotta cruise again,

I’m still on the fence about the shoes. Though they’re a size larger than I usually wear, they still seem tight with the heavier wool socks. I bought the “Petrol” color and they are definitely green!

My screen name reflects both my love of the sun and being in the field!

Hi, gotta cruise again,

I’m still on the fence about the shoes. Though they’re a size larger than I usually wear, they still seem tight with the heavier wool socks. I bought the “Petrol” color and they are definitely green!

My screen name reflects both my love of the sun and being in the field!

Good luck with the fit; hope you can sort that out. I plan on wearing knee high socks that are wool but aren’t any thicker than usual cotton socks worn with tennis shoes. Don’t ask me where I got them as I’ve had them for about a million years-lol

[Personal note to sunpsyche: there are often mental health continuing ed cruises! We’ve done about 8 of them over the years; get about 12 hours on sea days.]

Gottacruiseagain - I would love to know the info about the mental health continuing ed cruises.

Apologies to the OP for this brief hijack of the thread!!!!!

If you Google various terms like: psychology continuing education cruise (substitute mental health, psychiatry, etc for psychology; substitute CE, CEU, professional development, etc. for continuing education. It varies how different courses apply the terminology to their activity)

Also look at the various companies who you likely get brochures or emails from about CE courses as some of them offer cruises from time to time. I don’t think CC allows specific companies to be identified so I won’t be specific. The are a LOT for CME credits so your board may or may not allow that for your particular licensure.

Be aware that you can easily spend a long time on Google searching these out; they don’t come along often enough so you have to be persistent. We’d love it if we could do a CE cruise every year but either I can’t find one, can’t find one that the dates or cost works, or can’t find one that has a topic we want to do!

Hope this helps at least a bit:)

Good luck with the fit; hope you can sort that out. I plan on wearing knee high socks that are wool but aren’t any thicker than usual cotton socks worn with tennis shoes. Don’t ask me where I got them as I’ve had them for about a million years-lol

[Personal note to sunpsyche: there are often mental health continuing ed cruises! We’ve done about 8 of them over the years; get about 12 hours on sea days.]

Deleted. I see my question was answered!

If you Google various terms like: psychology continuing education cruise (substitute mental health, psychiatry, etc for psychology; substitute CE, CEU, professional development, etc. for continuing education. It varies how different courses apply the terminology to their activity)

Also look at the various companies who you likely get brochures or emails from about CE courses as some of them offer cruises from time to time. I don’t think CC allows specific companies to be identified so I won’t be specific. The are a LOT for CME credits so your board may or may not allow that for your particular licensure.

Be aware that you can easily spend a long time on Google searching these out; they don’t come along often enough so you have to be persistent. We’d love it if we could do a CE cruise every year but either I can’t find one, can’t find one that the dates or cost works, or can’t find one that has a topic we want to do!

Have you been able to get any pharm cme from the cruises?

Have you been able to get any pharm cme from the cruises?

Ooooo...we’re still hijacking this thread, so again, apologies for doing so!!

I don’t look specifically for pharm credits as I’m a psychotherapist however, they are likely out there. I’ve taken courses on psychopharmacology for mental health clinicians, which informed on types of meds (not for prescribing, of course!) and those may have had pharm credits. The cruises meant primarily for physicians, may include pharmacist credit. Sorry I can’t be more help!

I read about this brand of waterproof shoes in one of the guide books. It's called Xtratuf and they are known as the Alaskan sneaker. I found a pair of deck shoes on Amazon and they have been very comfortable. I bought the women's Finatic but I'm also considering buying the Chumrunner. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I saw 5 different people walking around in these yesterday on my morning run around the park strip. Very soggy right now with the all the snow melting!

One more hijack :D- aknursemom

Check out continuingeducation.net and CMEatsea.org. They both offer all kinds of CME cruises.

Thanks for the info! Fiance`and I are both psych NPs, so we want some pharm credits. I checked out some of the offerings. I think we are going to try one out next March!

Brief hijack? What you should have done is to start a completely new thread since your topic has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of thread. That would have been the polite thing to do.

Note to moderator - can you remove all the offending posts about CE course.

DON

Brief hijack? What you should have done is to start a completely new thread since your topic has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of thread. That would have been the polite thing to do.

DON

What if they forgot to pack their educational materials on their AK cruise but wish that they had to study while relaxing on their balcony?

DON

There has been more than one apology about the hijack. There have been other hijacks, such as several posts about shoe shopping, but everyone seems to take it in stride. What I have not seen is a contribution by you related to the topic, other than to complain about a particular hijack - seems arbitrary.

I saw 5 different people walking around in these yesterday on my morning run around the park strip. Very soggy right now with the all the snow melting!

I just got the chum runners today, they are comfortable and look pretty sturdy. Crossing my fingers and toes.

There has been more than one apology about the hijack. There have been other hijacks, such as several posts about shoe shopping, but everyone seems to take it in stride. What I have not seen is a contribution by you related to the topic, other than to complain about a particular hijack - seems arbitrary.

I just remembered something else I will need to bring. VALIUM. Maybe there is a valium dispenser on board.

Another waterproof shoe cover is Dry Steppers. I gave my MIL a pair for Christmas for our upcoming Alaska cruise. I’ve read that some people spray their shoes with a waterproofing spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although I had a hooded jacket, I didn't take a hat. I wanted to just sit on the warm balcony, but it was windy and I didn't need the jacket. I ended up buying a tacky blinged-up Alaska baseball cap in the ship's store. It worked, but you can be sure I'll try to find a more stylish option before my next cruise!