Can men wear khaki shorts at MDR?

On the Explorer TP sailing last year Seattle to Sydney anybody that turned up for dinner in the MDR wearing shorts and or T-shirt’s were told to go change or eat at the Windjammer.
The verbage has changed in the last few months on the website and on most compasses. It used to say no shorts allowed, now they removed that, so I am guessing they got tied if the issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

The verbage has changed in the last few months on the website and on most compasses. It used to say no shorts allowed, now they removed that, so I am guessing they got tied if the issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Yep. On formal nights on Adventure last fall, the compass said "no shorts allowed" in MDR. There was no such verbiage on non-formal nights. I didn't eat in the MDR at all, but did sit next to someone in shorts on formal night in Giovanni's.

What it all comes back to is the fact that Royal can choose to enforce their own "code" or not. If they do and you're wearing shorts and are asked to change and don't like it, deal with it. If they don't, and someone sits next to you wearing shorts and you don't like it, deal with it.

On the Explorer TP sailing last year Seattle to Sydney anybody that turned up for dinner in the MDR wearing shorts and or T-shirt’s were told to go change or eat at the Windjammer.

Was that on all nights or just formal? In my experience on TA it was much less formal. I never wore shorts to the mdr but I didn’t pack a suit as I normally do. Way too hard to pack for the longer cruises when laundry services are expensive and no self serve laundry available.

We are going on our first RC in 20 days. We have cruised 7 other times. He is not one to dress up but always dresses nice. He plans on wearing dress shorts (navy, khaki, grey) polo's or button up short sleeve shirts and Sperry or boat shoes to dinner most nights. On formal night he will wear slacks and long sleeve button up shirt with dress shoes. Hopefully it will be acceptable.

We are going on our first RC in 20 days. We have cruised 7 other times. He is not one to dress up but always dresses nice. He plans on wearing dress shorts (navy, khaki, grey) polo's or button up short sleeve shirts and Sperry or boat shoes to dinner most nights. On formal night he will wear slacks and long sleeve button up shirt with dress shoes. Hopefully it will be acceptable.

That is what I wore on Allure last month and was not out of place at all.

This is slightly off topic. We just got our Concierge email regarding our cruise this coming week on Harmony.

“We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no bathrobes, no swim or pool attire is allowed, and footwear is required at all times). Please be informed that during the cocktail hours on formal nights, shorts, sandals and tank tops are not permitted in the lounge. We encourage all of our Guests to follow the evening dress code reflected on the daily Evening Planner. “

The dress codes are a suggestions but these appear to be rules. I haven’t witnessed being enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is slightly off topic. We just got our Concierge email regarding our cruise this coming week on Harmony.

“We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no bathrobes, no swim or pool attire is allowed, and footwear is required at all times). Please be informed that during the cocktail hours on formal nights, shorts, sandals and tank tops are not permitted in the lounge. We encourage all of our Guests to follow the evening dress code reflected on the daily Evening Planner. “

The dress codes are a suggestions but these appear to be rules. I haven’t witnessed being enforced.

It will be interesting to know if they enforce the rules.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Onboard attire...

When you're onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you'll see, grouped by item.

Casual: You're on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.

Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns.

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Onboard attire...

When you're onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you'll see, grouped by item.

Casual: You're on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.

Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns.

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

Again, it says Suggested. Suggested is not a request or rule (not permitted).

Yes, some things are prohibited by rule but no longer typically enforced.

I’ll let you know after next week. On our Allure Cruise last year it wasn’t.

Doesn’t really effect me as I at least wear a collared shirt and slacks.

In my (limited) experience, it's probably up to the lounge concierge to enforce. On a recent cruise I went in on the first day and asked about a dress code (specifically shorts, since at times I would be wearing a leg brace) and she told me not to worry about it. I didn't go into the lounge on formal nights though so I'm not sure if things were more stringent on those nights.

I'm a first-time cruiser, but that sounds perfectly acceptable to me!

Please make sure he wears “nice” dress shorts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my (limited) experience, it's probably up to the lounge concierge to enforce. On a recent cruise I went in on the first day and asked about a dress code (specifically shorts, since at times I would be wearing a leg brace) and she told me not to worry about it. I didn't go into the lounge on formal nights though so I'm not sure if things were more stringent on those nights.

Typically, this would be the most judgmental night. It’s when all the roaming eyes and whispers can be seen/heard.

Typically, this would be the most judgmental night. It’s when all the roaming eyes and whispers can be seen/heard.

Stare at em and when you get their attention flag them over for a drink order.

I have seen this enforced quite a bit in the lounges.