Live report of Viking Sea Transatlantic March 27

Azulann

I've been asked by attendees on Easter morning to do a service this Sunday. So 9am on sports deck this Sunday. Anyone welcome. Will watch weather for any necessary changes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much, we will be there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love the ship. Service. Chow (mostly—good Manfredi’s tonight, bad Chef’s Table earlier, Restaurant mixed).

Today in Tangier: ship’s included bus tour. Oh dear. Three hours. Audio didn’t work. But no matter. Guide seemingly thought we were cretins. When we could hear the chap. Down the Medina we went, with xxx others from ship. Spent 45 minutes in a “craft shop.” Bad bad show, Viking.

Tangiers was the port of call today. We did the included excursion which was brief bus ride around the new parts of town , then a walking tour in the Kasbar and the medina with stops at a museum, an herbalist, and a handicraft store with rug demonstration on second floor.

Guides can make a excursion or be a big obstacle .

Our guide Said was very good. Gave the history of tangiers and Morocco while on the bus. He is very proud of his country and the building going on in Tangiers. He took special care of an elderly passenger who realized that he could not do the walking involved . He was put in the hands of two young men who got him out of the Kasbar and to a taxi , then back to ship.On another excursion to the Blue town, a hour away,the guide was very self conscious . He really did not talk while on the bus. he was hesitant about his English but spoke Spanish and French easily. Some passengers were very upset with his inexperience , others took it in stride.

I bought some great Moroccan spices for gifts for friends and Aragon oil and a silk shawl for myself.

On the ship, they are running out of some of the wine: Pinot Grigio , French white Cortes de Rhone Blanc, and now NZ sauvignon Blanc . Great waiter in the Living Room bar suggest a Portugal white. it is very good. We brought a glass back to our room.We are washing clothes in the meantime.

Last time to put our clocks ahead a hour.

Tomorrow we go to Seville!!!!

Edited by Azulann

Tangiers was the port of call today. We did the included excursion which was brief bus ride around the new parts of town , then a walking tour in the Kasbar and the medina with stops at a museum, an herbalist, and a handicraft store with rug demonstration on second floor.

Guides can make a excursion or be a big obstacle .

Our guide Said was very good. Gave the history of tangiers and Morocco while on the bus. He is very proud of his country and the building going on in Tangiers. He took special care of an elderly passenger who realized that he could not do the walking involved . He was put in the hands of two young men who got him out of the Kasbar and to a taxi , then back to ship.On another excursion to the Blue town, a hour away,the guide was very self conscious . He really did not talk while on the bus. he was hesitant about his English but spoke Spanish and French easily. Some passengers were very upset with his inexperience , others took it in stride.

I bought some great Moroccan spices for gifts for friends and Aragon oil and a silk shawl for myself.

On the ship, they are running out of some of the wine: Pinot Grigio , French white Cortes de Rhone Blanc, and now NZ sauvignon Blanc . Great waiter in the Living Room bar suggest a Portugal white. it is very good. We brought a glass back to our room.We are washing clothes in the meantime.

Last time to put our clocks ahead a hour.

Tomorrow we go to Seville!!!!

Azulann, I’m so glad you are enjoying your cruise and LOVE your attitude (y) :)

You will love Seville! :)

The smell of orange blossoms in the air will be my lasting memory of Seville.It is Spring in Seville. The wisteria are in bloom, orange trees in every little plaza , alcazar, and the public gardens of Seville.

We took the ship tour to Seville. Herman was our guide. He has lived in Cadiz for the last 30 years. He gave us a visual commentary of the benefits of Spain being in the EU since 1986. Drove on a modern toll road through the breadbasket farm lands of Spain.

Seville had a exposition of the Americas in the early 20 century. We drove by the beautiful buildings build by each country in the Americas. The US one was fashioned on a California city building. Nothing special compared to Mexico or Columbia's work. I never learned about this exposition in school. It was a very big deal for Seville and Spain.

Next we toured the Alcarzar, the moorish home of various Calif's and the kings of Spain.Beautiful and intricate ceilings and ornamentation .The cathedral was sensory overload. It is vast with 26 side altars.

a tapa lunch ,a bottle of cava was the finishing touch to a great day for just a brief glimpse of Seville.

A land trip should be included on people's travel list.

Walked 12,000 steps . Looking forward to our final sea day.

You will have the same scent memory of Valencia. The perfume of orange blossoms is so lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is very good news!

We are sitting now sitting in the

Theater ready for Valencia lecture on our last sea day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There aren’t as many trees lining the streets in the historic center but along the streets and parks around it (like the one around the corner from our apartment) it is like walking in an orange grove.

Enjoy your last sea day...we just packed and are getting ready to go for a final stroll around this beautiful city before we leave tomorrow morning as you arrive.

Edited by Clay Clayton

We’ve had the perfect transatlantic itinerary ... three islands, three countries and countless memories. And the sign of a great cruise ... is when you run around looking for all the spots/chairs you may have missed, savoring every view of the sea, and looking wistfully at things you won’t see again until that next cruise ...

Our last Wintergarden tea, our last steam in the Nordic spa, our last living room latte, our last pre-dinner drinks in the Explorer’s Lounge. Our great roll call. It seemed like just yesterday when we arrived at the El Convento to start our trip. Two happy hours in San Juan and two meet + mingles later, it’s fast coming to an end.

But Azulann promises that we’ll continue posting in Barcelona and wherever else. And then the torch passes on to another group on yet another great Viking voyage.

I know your feelings... goodby cruise, hello reality. We are so lucky to be able to have these experiences - and so lucky to be able to join others like you vicariously, when we aren't on board ourselves. Thanks, to all of you, for sharing your trip with us!

It is a holiday in Valencia, the feast of St Vincent Ferrar. The streets were empty as we bused around the modern architecture of the buildings along the riverbed walking park. Stunning to say the least. The walking tour began in the old district, as the neighbors woke up on this lazy holiday.Sudenly,we began to see young girls dressed in traditional dresses with wide hoop skirts arrive in the squares from various side alleyways.The dresses were brocade, hair done up in plated braids with combs in their hair and covered in a lace mantilla(sp). They were to be part of the Saint day procession at the cathedral.

The old part of city buildings remind me of early Barcelona, turn of the century apartments above shops. Lots of beautiful iron balconies, tile work touches to the building. Orange trees again, but also a bridge of flowers! Hundreds of geraniums line the bridge which is yet another one over the river bed park.

I can see why Clay decided to stay two weeks here after his TA on the Sky.

Daily reality of the last day on ship is sinking in.

Off to pack this afternoon, drop off the surveys at guest relation . As a treat to myself after packing will be a cone of praline gelato as I sit on the aft deck by the infinity pool before sail away at 6pm.

Last dinner in the Restaurant with friends from our roll call. Set my luggage outside my cabin and have my last sleep on the Viking Sea on this cruise.

Still smitten by Viking Ocean. Met many wonderful people from all over the world and friendly crew who go the extra mile without even asking. I also met a neighbor who lives a mile from my house in the laundry room last night .LOL Two degrees of separation is now the norm in today's world.

I remember my second cruise: Panama Canal full transit. I made a promise to myself as I sat in the airport in San Diego totally depressed . I would never again get of a cruise and go immediately to the airport to fly home.

Tomorrow after leaving the ship at 8:50 am, I will be staying in Barcelona for two nights with the Viking post extension.

This thread will continue for a couple days

Stay tuned...

I remember my second cruise: Panama Canal full transit. I made a promise to myself as I sat in the airport in San Diego totally depressed . I would never again get of a cruise and go immediately to the airport to fly home. ]

LOL, I made a similar promise after a year and a half of planning for our ‘round the horn cruise” but mine was to never to get off one ship without having another cruise on the books!

Saw “your” ship in the port today as we flew over on our way to Milano. Tried to take a picture but we were too far away and there was lots of turbulence so it’s basically a colorful blob.

Have a great time in Barcelona!

We love Barcelona. It’s just a great city to spend time in. Have a wonderful time. Thanks for taking us along. I hadn’t really ever seriously thought about a TA but I have to say that reading this does make me think I should consider it!

Thank you for the wonderful reports. I've loved everything you've written about the TA and now want to do it with Viking. (Have done the Queen Mary crossing from NY, loved the ship, but not all that dressing up!)

Patti-- got to our hotel in Santiago Sebastian and guess what? ANOTHER bottle of sparkling wine! And chocolates. Thanks again for a great rollcall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

OMG, too funny. You have set the record for bubbly and sweets that appear in your cabin or room wherever you go!

Might as well drink it and have a great time in San Sebastián.

OMG, too funny. You have set the record for bubbly and sweets that appear in your cabin or room wherever you go!

Might as well drink it and have a great time in San Sebastián.

Disembarkation was very easy. All luggage is color coded with tag. Easy to find when you walk into terminal. We are doing the Viking extension. Got a bus tour to Mont Juric and seaside and through town to the Hilton near the university. Need to take metro or taxi to get to the old part or las Ramlas.This two hr bus tour was not communicated to us till a few days ago. We missed our entrance time to Park Guell. Things happen like this , so we walked around the neighbor hood after a nice tapa lunch.

We got tickets at the box office to attend concert of guitars including a dance couple who were fabulous, castanets and all.

It was at the stunning Palau De La Musica. Poster on our roll call suggested this concert. Met up with some from our cruise at this event.

So far the rain prediction did not come true. We will be out and about on our final full day in Barcelona tomorrow.