Back to cruising with kids this time

CanadianMAG

My husband and I loved cruising. We had kids we didn't feel like cruising was the best option for us. Mainly because of the cabin space. So we moved on and did all inclusive travels or hotel travels. When we travel the four of us usually get two bedroom suites we like our space. My hesitation on getting back into cruise traveling is the size of the rooms. We cannot afford a suite which would be the best option for us. How do other people travel with two kids when they like room? I thought would be to get to adjoining rooms because we would want a balcony and that would require us to get to balconies. But then I'm nervous about having a balcony for the kids. I don't know I'm sure I'm not the only one with this dilemma. Thoughts?

Please don't say it doesn't matter you don't spend much time in your cabin anyways. We actually do, our kids go to bed early ( on vacations too) and we just like the space.

We do two big trips a year so we are very aware of the time we spend in our room.

My kids are 10 and 5 so we wouldn't be able to have them across the hallway. I don't think my husband would be too fond I'm sleeping on the inside cabin with one of the kids either

Virtually all ships have Balcony Cabins but the other side of the corridor are the Inside Cabins. If you book opposite rooms go for "no upgrades" and you will be really close together and save cash.

Regards John

5 and 10. My 5 year old is a little bit of a dare devil. Neither child would be allowed on the balcony though.

How old are the kids? Most of the balconies, have either metal bars or glass partitions making it difficult for any child to fall over.

My kids are 10 and 5 so we wouldn't be able to have them across the hallway. I don't think my husband would be too fond I'm sleeping on the inside cabin with one of the kids either

Mini-Suites and Deluxe Balcony cabins can be a good idea as they often have a sofabed at ground level and sometimes an option to curtain off that area which is a sitting area in the day. They are not that much more costwise. Cabin stewards do all the furniture shifting etc. Balcony doors always have a high up bolt for security.

Regards John

I would figure out which cruise you are thinking about and post on the cruise board for that line with your ship name in the title "How do families handle cabins on Liberty?" and then explain your situation. I can think of ways it would work on carnival ships I am familiar with and I am sure others can on other ships as well. My first suggestion is to run a mock booking all way through. My suite with 3 people is less than a balcony and an inside because the third person was only 169 bucks. Some ships have family areas for lounging. The reality is that you are not going to get "land space" on a ship no matter what but you should be able to find a situation that will work for you. I bet there are ships that have adjoining ocean view and balcony cabins. Or get two balconies and put a contact alarm on the kids door.

We are taking our first cruise and we are bringing our kids. We were concerned about space and specifically didn't want a balcony because of my own strange worries so we booked a grand scenic ocean view room. They aren't on every ship (Carnival) and the ones that have them only have two rooms, but it was our best option for more space at an affordable rate.

We went last year with connecting balconies with a 3 year old and 7 year old. My 3 year old is the daredevil. We left the connecting door open, so we could always hear of they tried to open the balcony door. When we were in the rooms I pretty much stayed in the same room as them while they played. There was plenty of space and it was wonderful having a second bathroom. Overall we had no issues/concerns with the balcony and my little one. There was glass instead of rails so he couldn't climb it. (We were on Freedom of the Seas.)

With all of this said though, we are giving a family stateroom on Royal Caribbean a try this next go around. I believe they have been renamed Ultra Spacious rooms. We are going in an ocean view room. This room is about 300 sq ft and can sleep up to six people. It has the bed, a set of bunk beds, and a pull out sofa. They are a bit more than the average ocean view room but we are willing to pay for the space.

I am only familiar with Royal Caribbean, so I can't advise on other lines.

connecting balconies-- the locks are high up. Lock the one door. Keep your connecting door opened. Balcony doors are extremely heavy to open even for most adults.

Do not open the balcony door when the front door is opened-- it creats a huge wind tunnel

I'm not sure that I'm understanding this properly. Are you definitely getting two rooms, no matter what? Because a suite would be cheaper than two balconies.

Not necessarily, we always book connecting balconies on NCL, cheaper than a suite.

I'm not sure that I'm understanding this properly. Are you definitely getting two rooms, no matter what? Because a suite would be cheaper than two balconies.

We were able to get two balconies cheaper than a suite on Total Caribbean as well. The Ultra Spacious (family) Oceanview was also cheaper than a suite.

Celebrity cruises have 2 bedroom Family Veranda Cabins that don't cost much more than a regular veranda, but have 2 bedrooms, a living room and dining room plus a Veranda. Only 1 bathroom.

Since you can afford all-inclusives, you should be able to afford a suite on NCL - they have suites that have 2 bedrooms and a living room and dining room and suites that are 1 bedroom but have a fold out sofa in the living room. These suites are not all that expensive. For example on the NCL Getaway, The Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa starts at $1650 per person for a family of 4 and you would get 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a fold out sofa in the living room/dining room, plus a balcony. The master bedroom has a luxury bathroom. You get butler and concierge service and access to The Haven pool and restaurant and bar all included.