Seabourn-cruises should try Regent!

Stefan_Cruise

We are going next week on Regent Mariner from Barcelona to Miami. We have been on only one Regent cruise (Navigator--Amazon 2011) And we did not like the ship. We have over 200 days on Seabourn but this cruise appealed to us. Will let you know our feelings.

Sounds like you are casting around for reasons to support your decision. You don't need to. We get it. You have decided that Regent is better. Fair enough if that works for you and you don't need to justify it to anyone else.

This is not a reason - this is a fact!

Someone said that Regent would be more expensive:

I paid $ 5.200 per person without flight (as I don’t need flights because I like flying in first class and have a lot of airline miles to spend) incl. $ 150 of refundable onboard credit for the Superior suite cat F2. It is about 10% larger then the V2 to V6 suites on the Encore. On the Encore I would have to pay about $ 400 for the Internet and about $ 350 - 400 per person for the excursions.

Russ = soot

I don't disagree with your soot squabble. Your daylight observations account for about 17% of what is spewed out between 1 and 3 AM. It's admirable for you to pull the plug on a company that fails in this department with newly built ships. It's a disgrace.

About everything else you have written......we'll disagree. Russ = soot on top of the list.

About Regent. You might want to curb your enthusiasm.

Let's face it ... Seabourn, Silversea and Regent are all very close in terms of quality but each has it's own unique twists on the product offering and ALL have their faults ... you just have to make a personal decision on which aspects you value the most and unfortunately that is not a decision that is as easy as it appears .. so much depends on the crew and management which unfortunately is almost impossible to predict on any cruise, luxury or otherwise.

JMHO

And a very good opinion!

Also FREE on Regent are visits to the infirmary, ciprofloxacin and Gatorade should you get food poisoning on board. Plus a personalized letter from the captain warning that you will be involuntarily disembarked at the next port if you do not remain in your cabin until further notice.

I'll take the few mishaps on Seabourn any day over Regent.

What does Seabourn do if they have a Code Red? Or are you saying they don't every have one.

We are going next week on Regent Mariner from Barcelona to Miami. We have been on only one Regent cruise (Navigator--Amazon 2011) And we did not like the ship. We have over 200 days on Seabourn but this cruise appealed to us. Will let you know our feelings.

Mariner is a great ship, and it's just had a complete refurb I believe. So I hope you enjoy it, it's our current fave Regent ship.

Regent? No thanks. Their ships are too big, the onboard venues are less intimate, there are too many other passengers and the service is less personable. Also, I don’t want included shore excursions (as others have said, they’re not free, it’s why you pay a higher cruise fare). I want to be able to make my own decisions what to do where. Seabourn is just perfect for me and a very nice step up from my previous line of choice, Azamara.

Floris

I thought Russ Particles was a cruise director for Regent!

At least we can keep the conversation civil, can't we?

Someone "up" this thread said that the people here on the Seabourn Cruise Critic board were witty whereas the Regent board tend to be grouches. Remember this is Cruise Critic. I find the people here a bit snobbish and supercilious. Yes, there are a couple of control freaks over on the Regent board, but other than that it is very civil and rarely patronizing.

I have heard that the Seabourn passengers on board, as opposed to on this board, tend to be a very nice bunch. I've met a few on Regent cruises and this seems to be true.

At least we can keep the conversation civil, can't we?

Someone "up" this thread said that the people here on the Seabourn Cruise Critic board were witty whereas the Regent board tend to be grouches. Remember this is Cruise Critic. I find the people here a bit snobbish and supercilious. Yes, there are a couple of control freaks over on the Regent board, but other than that it is very civil and rarely patronizing.

I have heard that the Seabourn passengers on board, as opposed to on this board, tend to be a very nice bunch. I've met a few on Regent cruises and this seems to be true.

Is it just me or does there seem to be a contradiction between the two comments I have highlighted? I don't think calling all the people posting on the Seabourn board snobbish and supercilious is what I consider "keeping the conversation civil".

Julie

I’m really glad Frantic called out this hypocritical comment. Honestly I could care less who cruises which cruise line - I know what works for me and know it is not one size fits all. But when you start characterizing people on different lines whether on the ships or on this board I think you lose credibility. No one has anything other than anecdotal evidence to back up claims that there are a certain kind of people on different lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m really glad Frantic called out this hypocritical comment. Honestly I could care less who cruises which cruise line - I know what works for me and know it is not one size fits all. But when you start characterizing people on different lines whether on the ships or on this board I think you lose credibility. No one has anything other than anecdotal evidence to back up claims that there are a certain kind of people on different lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think that all the luxury lines attract people with similar desires as far as holidays are concerned. The differences emerge more in the CC fan bases of the various lines.

But in this all evidence can be nothing but anecdotal and subjective.

I’ve been on several of the upmarket cruise lines and they each offered a different mixture of features. What I noticed was that the “enthusiasts” on each of the lines were slightly different. On one line, they tended to be more stodgy, on another more introspective and on another more relaxed.

My experience was that this all had a lot to do with the ship’s design and the rhythm of its daily schedule.

For example, on a ship that has daily events in a space where most of the passengers can mingle, you will find that the “enthusiasts” of the line will be chatty and bit more sociable than on other ships with a different layout or social ethos.

Frantic, totally agree with you! Nothing snobbish about the comments just lighthearted repertoire with regard to some of OP's rather niche comments. With comments like this I would have a bet on what Wendy will review SB as, when she returns from her first cruise.

The problem with online boards like this is that often people find it difficult to to see when another poster is engaging in lighthearted banter rather than criticism.

Talking of banter, I like the term “niche comments” .

The problem with online boards like this is that often people find it difficult to to see when another poster is engaging in lighthearted banter rather than criticism.

Talking of banter, I like the term “niche comments” .

I agree, lost in translation comes to mind!

What does Seabourn do if they have a Code Red? Or are you saying they don't every have one.

A few years ago I beat this painful subject to death and promised to stop posting about it, but given these recent threads it has come back to life.

Now since you asked - our experience on Regent was NOT a Code Red but what we thought at the time to be food poisoning. Considering the meds given, the doctor also thought it was food poisoning. She ignored the fact that my husband had difficulty breathing and only mentioned that his heart was racing at 120 bpm. Today we know that he had experienced a first time allergic reaction to MSG. Of course it is not Regent's fault that my husband has a food allergy, what I was never able to accept was the way he was treated (or should I say mistreated) by management.

And since you asked - I have never had experience with a Code Red on Seabourn. However, 2 years prior to the nightmare on Regent, my husband was actually quarantined on Seaboarn 2 days after embarkation for the flu. The difference was that it was done with such diplomacy, tact and genuine concern that it didn't even occur to us that it was a quarantine (and justified) until it happened on Regent. 48 hours later in the doctor's care he was 100% and went on to have one of our best ever cruises. We were even invited to the captain's table a few day's later.

I hope that none of my fellow posters here on cruise critic end up under similar circumstances, but if you do, do it on Seabourn.

With that said, I now promise promise promise never to bring up this subject again and return to my regular lighthearted and hopefully informative posting.

Is it just me or does there seem to be a contradiction between the two comments I have highlighted? I don't think calling all the people posting on the Seabourn board snobbish and supercilious is what I consider "keeping the conversation civil".

Julie

Sorry Julie, did not mean to paint everyone here with that brush. Just a few, as is usual on a website like this.

And apologies for breaking my own rule (about being civil.)

A few years ago I beat this painful subject to death and promised to stop posting about it, but given these recent threads it has come back to life.

Now since you asked - our experience on Regent was NOT a Code Red but what we thought at the time to be food poisoning. Considering the meds given, the doctor also thought it was food poisoning. She ignored the fact that my husband had difficulty breathing and only mentioned that his heart was racing at 120 bpm. Today we know that he had experienced a first time allergic reaction to MSG. Of course it is not Regent's fault that my husband has a food allergy, what I was never able to accept was the way he was treated (or should I say mistreated) by management.

And since you asked - I have never had experience with a Code Red on Seabourn. However, 2 years prior to the nightmare on Regent, my husband was actually quarantined on Seaboarn 2 days after embarkation for the flu. The difference was that it was done with such diplomacy, tact and genuine concern that it didn't even occur to us that it was a quarantine (and justified) until it happened on Regent. 48 hours later in the doctor's care he was 100% and went on to have one of our best ever cruises. We were even invited to the captain's table a few day's later.

I hope that none of my fellow posters here on cruise critic end up under similar circumstances, but if you do, do it on Seabourn.

With that said, I now promise promise promise never to bring up this subject again and return to my regular lighthearted and hopefully informative posting.

Okay, I promise not to mention it after this. Must have been awful for you, I must say. Glad to hear that Seabourn handles these things with delicacy and tact. Usually Regent does too. I was on Mariner last year when it had a Code Red and it was done very well (I was not, however, one of the sick passengers.)

Here's the deal. The same twenty or so people who keep posting about the differences between these two cruise lines do not represent either Regent's or Seabourn's vast majority of passengers. They are simply people with enough time on their hands and enough inclination to keep beating the same horse to death over and over. So let's give both cruise lines a break. Perhaps instead of calling it cruise critic we should call it Passenger Critic.

Ok, I said I found some of the comments to be witty. Presumably that makes me one of the snobbish, supercilious ones?

No excuse, I know, but for some of us here English is not our first language, perhaps some things are getting lost in translation?

Snobby and supercilious wasn't my intention, my apologies if that's how I came across.