Walking Out During Shows

gmbhardy

We always sit way up top and on the aisle ....we will leave if it is not good ...but we try to do it so as not to be intrusive to others .....and there is no way to research to see if the singer is any good or not ..

According to your cruise record you haven’t seen any of the major productions, so I don’t now how you feel qualified to judge them

I've seen plenty of shows and performances on the cruises I've taken. Thank you though.

And perhaps the cruise line can take notice of the mass exodus of the patrons and DO something about the lousy entertainment!

the topic is about a show that one did not like...

That is just OP's assumption.

but we will do it your way; if our 3 year old gets fidgety and loud instead of ushering ourselves out as quickly and quietly as possible we will just stay in the theater and see what happens.

I'd say in actuality we stay full way through for 80% of the shows that we attend. Even if I read what a show is about it's no guarantee I'll like it or want to see all of it. I have never left a show offended or thinking it was something other than advertised though.

The entertainers do the very best they can, and that's the difference. They put on their costumes, they act with enthusiasm, or sing with their hearts out like each and every move they make is make or break for them. They are 100% invested.

I appreciate their collective efforts.

Edited by MizDemeanor

The entertainers do the very best they can, and that's the difference. They put on their costumes, they act with enthusiasm, or sing with their hearts out like each and very move they make is make or break for them. They are 100% invested.

There was a production show we saw on Enchantment of the Seas that was so absolutely awful we were riveted to it; it was a shlocky train wreck. It was everything negative when people denigrate performers as "worthy of a cruise ship". Poor lighting, poor sound, outdated material (I think the show has been with the ship for 20 years). So that one we stayed.

Lounges we tend to be a bit more fluid; entertainers may be performing for 2 or 3 hours throughout the evening but we pop in for 15 minutes then find something else to do.

That is just OP's assumption.

but we will do it your way; if our 3 year old gets fidgety and loud instead of ushering ourselves out as quickly and quietly as possible we will just stay in the theater and see what happens.

I'd say in actuality we stay full way through for 80% of the shows that we attend. Even if I read what a show is about it's no guarantee I'll like it or want to see all of it. I have never left a show offended or thinking it was something other than advertised though.

Its not the you that is the one who is offended, its the performers when the guest walks out. Taking a child out is the same as removing them for a dining venue for the considerate benefit of the rest of the guests. Everyone gets that and appreciate the consideration that you are showing to others.

People are perceptive and do get unspoken words, and that actions speak louder than words....

Its not the you that is the one who is offended, its the performers when the guest walks out.

They can't even see people in the audience with stage lighting. I really don't think they care if people leave. I think people should try to be as quiet as possible and not make interruption when leaving, but that's common courtesy, beyond that suggesting someone sit through something they don't like is absurd.

How come OP didn't assume anyone wanted to go to the bathroom, or go for a smoke, or leave to have sex, or was hungry, wanted to go watch a sports game, gamble, had a headache, etc...kind of offensive to just go right out and attack people as not having done their homework about a show. That's blaming the guest instead of recognizing the way cruises are packaged and sold is that there are opportunities to do as much or as little as you want, when you want.

The entertainers do the very best they can, and that's the difference. They put on their costumes, they act with enthusiasm, or sing with their hearts out like each and every move they make is make or break for them. They are 100% invested. I appreciate their collective efforts.

It's a job. They get paid to do it.

I really wish people would take the time to find out the themes/story lines of the performances before they book them. Far too many people walk out during the shows because they didn’t know what the show is about. This is disrespectful to the performers and audience. In the elevator after a “Brat Pack” performance on the Escape, a gentleman let everyone know that he was disappointed because he was expecting a “Rat Pack” performance. I’ve seen hordes of people walk out during After Midnight, Priscilla, and Rock of Ages because they had no idea of the show’s content. I even saw people walk out during the Beatles show on the Epic. What were they expecting, an entomology seminar?

Why wouldn’t you not walk out if it sucks? You could do all the research in the world and have even seen the show before but if the performers are bad....I’m not wasting my vacation time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can't even see people in the audience with stage lighting. I really don't think they care if people leave. I think people should try to be as quiet as possible and not make interruption when leaving, but that's common courtesy, beyond that suggesting someone sit through something they don't like is absurd.

How come OP didn't assume anyone wanted to go to the bathroom, or go for a smoke, or leave to have sex, or was hungry, wanted to go watch a sports game, gamble, had a headache, etc...kind of offensive to just go right out and attack people as not having done their homework about a show. That's blaming the guest instead of recognizing the way cruises are packaged and sold is that there are opportunities to do as much or as little as you want, when you want.

That is disgusting dialog by example, almost and perhaps even vulgar. Its no wonder the world is as messed up as it is. You follow your protocols and I will follow mine.

That is disgusting dialog by example, almost and perhaps even vulgar. Its no wonder the world is as messed up as it is. You follow your protocols and I will follow mine.

Run that by me in English please?

Etiquette? It’s a flipping cruise ship, not Broadway. You didn’t specifically pay for the shows, which can be very poor at best sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes etiquette. Does not matter if it's Broadway or a back street play group. Manners seems to be a lost art.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If we don't know about the show, we would sit toward the back, that way if it is no good we can leave and not disrupt anybody. It is kind of annoying for people to leave in the middle of the show. I get there are emergencies, potty break, kid noisy. Most are just leaving because they don't like it and it disrupts the rest of the people trying to watch. Of course it is your vacation, but it is also mine. Lets all be courteous and enjoy our cruises.

Yes etiquette. Does not matter if it's Broadway or a back street play group. Manners seems to be a lost art.

You assume people know show etiquette. For the Most part the only shows I’ve seen have been on cruise ships. It’s not something we enjoy, but we have checked out a few shows on our cruises.

I had no idea it was considered rude to leave mid performance. I’m sure I’m not alone in no knowing show etiquette.

These are the same people who go to sporting events and get up in the middle of an inning or before there is a stoppage in play. Its all about the only me matters syndrome.

I was at a hockey playoff game the other day, with three minutes to go the game was 2-6. I left before it was over. In my book I was not the one to blame, it was the home team.

Same thing with entertainment, if I am not satisfied with what I am seeing, I'll leave.

I’ve left shows for the bathroom before 😂

No one should be held hostage to something that they are not enjoying on their vacation is my opinion! There is only so much you can kno about a show before you go and I would probably prefer them to leave than to fall asleep (which I’ve seen before) which is more insulting to the performers I would say

I was at a hockey playoff game the other day, with three minutes to go the game was 2-6. I left before it was over. In my book I was not the one to blame, it was the home team.

Same thing with entertainment, if I am not satisfied with what I am seeing, I'll leave.

But leave during a whistle. This way it does not disturb others. Getting back to OP during intermissions.

The entertainers do the very best they can, and that's the difference. They put on their costumes, they act with enthusiasm, or sing with their hearts out like each and every move they make is make or break for them. They are 100% invested.

All very good reasons not to walk out on your kid's high school theatre productions. Not a good reason to stay and watch something that is supposed to be professionally acted and produced and turns out otherwise. Yes, you can leave. Yes, you must be discreet and quiet. I like the idea of sitting near the back if you're not sure the show will be for you - wish I had thought to do so two weeks ago on the BA. Instead, I fell asleep, because the magician was so boring, and I didn't want to STEP OVER people to actually leave, hope my snoring didn't disturb them though lol.

Etiquette? It’s a flipping cruise ship, not Broadway. You didn’t specifically pay for the shows, which can be very poor at best sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was thinking something similar. I will add, I did walk out of a show on a ship once but I had a good reason. I had a bad leg and it was giving me HELL. Once in Vegas was tempted to walk out. We didn't for the reason the OP gives here. It isn't only the performers that can be insulted, it can interrupt the audience. That being said, I certainly do not consider it poor manners. It is a cruise, no matter how much research there may be a show that upsets people or is just not your thing. Walk out, but do it quietly. And for those who are upset about people walking out, as someone mentioned no one knows why a person leaves. My gripe is parents who bring their kids to shows and they disrupt everyone. i do not mean all kids by any means. I am thinking more about shows that are not family friendly or small kids that may get bored.

Edited by newmexicoNita