Oasis class for 2020

I know it won't happen but given the port restrictions in our region what I think Australia really needs from Royal is a new build Radiance or Vision class type size of ship operating year round to supplement the summer Ovation and possible Spectrum class ships.

Time to give P&O and Carnival a bit more year round competition.

I know it won't happen but given the port restrictions in our region what I think Australia really needs from Royal is a new build Radiance or Vision class type size of ship operating year round to supplement the summer Ovation and possible Spectrum class ships.

You make a really good point.

I wonder if any if the lines is willing to buck the trend to build a floating town instead of the current floating cities?

Not saying they need to leave out all the new features. [emoji56]

Cheers

I don't think the RSL comparison holds water anymore.

And do you mean the luxury brands that charge so much people convince themselves it's better so they can justify the extra cost? So are these more like the country club?

Cheers

As MicCanberra says below, the RSL comparison is still apt, as it refers to the complex with lots of eateries, gambling and entertainment. As I said above, the cruise ships also throw in a shopping mall and a hotel as well.

You are right that there is a club like atmosphere on luxury ships, but the club in question is like the Australian Club which does have accomodation as well as a restaurant, library and bar.:)

The luxury ships charge more because they offer a superior service to those who like that sort of product. The mass market ships realise this, that’s why they are aping the luxury ship experience with their suite classes etc.

From what I can see both those who have some form of frequent cruising status on a mass market line or those who book the more expensive cabins are always keen here on CC to flaunt their superiority to the other passengers on the same lines. What’s more, it seems that the other passengers don’t mind this condescension, because they aspire to one day having the same perks as the elite status or suite passengers.

But if anyone mentions that there is another pinnacle of cruising altogether than the one they are used to, then we here cries of “snob”, etc. The irony is that on the luxury lines the passengers are far more egalitarian amongst themselves. No one worries about elite status, because everyone is treated the same.

The article I quoted above actually covers the amount of research and thought that goes into cruise ship innovation. If we truly believe nothing has changed for the better in say the past 10 years - then they have failed miserably.

I for one have never enjoyed the RSL clubs but I sure love cruising!

Cheers

I’m sure that the research has worked wonderfully. What they have done is put cruising within the reach and desire of many more people.

If you read lot of the negative reviews here on CC you will see a recurring theme in many of them. So many reviewers will note that the quality of the service and the food on cruise ships has deteriorated in the last 10 years as those ships become bigger and attract more passengers into the cruising market.

I don’t think there’s enough market in Australia for many year round ships.

Our cruise season there’s a lot of people come from the northern hemisphere to get away from the cold.

We were on the ovation Christmas and it seemed like half the people were from North America,actually there were quite a few Russian people.

As MicCanberra says below, the RSL comparison is still apt, as it refers to the complex with lots of eateries, gambling and entertainment. As I said above, the cruise ships also throw in a shopping mall and a hotel as well.

You are right that there is a club like atmosphere on luxury ships, but the club in question is like the Australian Club which does have accomodation as well as a restaurant, library and bar.:)

The luxury ships charge more because they offer a superior service to those who like that sort of product. The mass market ships realise this, that’s why they are aping the luxury ship experience with their suite classes etc.

From what I can see both those who have some form of frequent cruising status on a mass market line or those who book the more expensive cabins are always keen here on CC to flaunt their superiority to the other passengers on the same lines. What’s more, it seems that the other passengers don’t mind this condescension, because they aspire to one day having the same perks as the elite status or suite passengers.

But if anyone mentions that there is another pinnacle of cruising altogether than the one they are used to, then we here cries of “snob”, etc. The irony is that on the luxury lines the passengers are far more egalitarian amongst themselves. No one worries about elite status, because everyone is treated the same.

I’m sure that the research has worked wonderfully. What they have done is put cruising within the reach and desire of many more people.

If you read lot of the negative reviews here on CC you will see a recurring theme in many of them. So many reviewers will note that the quality of the service and the food on cruise ships has deteriorated in the last 10 years as those ships become bigger and attract more passengers into the cruising market.

I know all the industry jokes about cruuising: from the "floating petrie dish" to the "newly weds and the nearly dead". But, has the food and service deteriorated to the point where they deserve repeated comparison to an RSL?

So the food and service may be not quite as good as it once was. I see this as minor in the scheme of additional services now on offer.

Can we even compare onboard internet and wifi to that provided 10 years ago?

I started cruising in 1992 and have seen my share of change - some good and some bad. I am aware that for every negative review on CC there are 100 who didn't have any problem.

I'm quite certain that we all find value in cruising with whichever line in whatever cabin category we can justify. If we didn't, by using the stated logic, we should be able to find exactly what we need with a $5 annual membership at the local club!

Cheers

Don't get me wrong, I like RSLs as they do cater for a broad slice of the community. I suppose one issue with cruising is that pricing has remained very competitive compared to other holiday types and as such will allow people of nearly all socio economic brackets to cruise. I don't necessarily care about this except that if it continues it will start to affect just how much of what is currently included will become an add on cost.

I know all the industry jokes about cruuising: from the "floating petrie dish" to the "newly weds and the nearly dead". But, has the food and service deteriorated to the point where they deserve repeated comparison to an RSL?

Cheers

I don’t know my local rissole does some pretty good tucker.

I don’t think there’s enough market in Australia for many year round ships.

Our cruise season there’s a lot of people come from the northern hemisphere to get away from the cold.

We were on the ovation Christmas and it seemed like half the people were from North America,actually there were quite a few Russian people.

2 other cruise lines can operate successfully over winter here in Australia. P&O & Carnival. While i take my business to these 2 cruise lines. The most overseas passengers would be Asian about 10% at most.. The only times I see more then that would be on longer cruises eg Trans-pacific or Asian repostiting.. It may-be that Carnival & P&O doesn't apeal. My mother who cruises Princess says there's lots of Americans on there.

ps: Love my local RSL club

I don't think we will see RCI or X leave a ship down under permanently for some time, the main reason is they can make more money elsewhere for the Northern summer season. Another reason is that absence makes the heart grow fonder. They fill their ships without the really heavy discounting that P&O and Carnival have to do when they are here as they are considered a better cruise product. Hence, people are prepared to wait for summer cruise season.

So the food and service may be not quite as good as it once was. I see this as minor in the scheme of additional services now on offer.

Can we even compare onboard internet and wifi to that provided 10 years ago?

I started cruising in 1992 and have seen my share of change - some good and some bad. I am aware that for every negative review on CC there are 100 who didn't have any problem.

I'm quite certain that we all find value in cruising with whichever line in whatever cabin category we can justify. If we didn't, by using the stated logic, we should be able to find exactly what we need with a $5 annual membership at the local club!

Cheers

The RSL comparison is more about the concept of cruise ships being like clubs with a hotel and shopping mall attached.

If you could attach a hotel, some pools and some shops to the local club, I’m sure that a lot of people would find exactly what they wanted in a holiday.

That is not a criticism. As you rightly point out, people all take the sort of holiday that suits them.

The RSL comparison is more about the concept of cruise ships being like clubs with a hotel and shopping mall attached.

If you could attach a hotel, some pools and some shops to the local club, I’m sure that a lot of people would find exactly what they wanted in a holiday.

That is not a criticism. As you rightly point out, people all take the sort of holiday that suits them.

Yeh P&O would be Rootyhill RSL

Carnival would Harbord diggers

Royal Caribbean would be club on east

A snotty club in Sutherland

'Club on East' is the new name for Sutherland United Services Club, East Pde, Sutherland, NSW 2232. I was a member there for 30 years when I lived in ye olde 'Shire.' 1975-2005:halo:

'Snotty Club it is certainly Not !!!! A good working mans community club, incorporating the RSL Sub Branch, has been there since 1947. Used to have many shows there and cheapest beer in the 'shire.' The late Graham Bowen, St George RL legend was Secretary Manager there for many years.

Edited by NSWP

Yeh P&O would be Rootyhill RSL

Carnival would Harbord diggers

Royal Caribbean would be club on east

Princess - St George Leagues Club and Holland America - City Tattersalls? :hearteyes:

I am thinking P&O - Redfern RSL and Carnival - Erskineville Bowling Club.:rolleyes:

'Club on East' is the new name for Sutherland United Services Club, East Pde, Sutherland, NSW 2232. I was a member there for 30 years when I lived in ye olde 'Shire.' 1975-2005:halo:

'Snotty Club it is certainly Not !!!! A good working mans community club, incorporating the RSL Sub Branch, has been there since 1947. Used to have many shows there and cheapest beer in the 'shire.' The late Graham Bowen, St George RL legend was Secretary Manager there for many years.

False advertising on two counts then, not very East and not very snooty.;p

Princess - St George Leagues Club and Holland America - City Tattersalls? :hearteyes:

I am thinking P&O - Redfern RSL and Carnival - Erskineville Bowling Club.:rolleyes:

I am a bit worried now about my Azura cruise, I thought it would be better than a Redfern RSL type of experience.

Sorry I take that back,I didn’t think anyone was listening.

Edited by Chiliburn

Sorry I take that back,I didn’t think anyone was listening.

No worries young Phillip... Uncle Les does not miss much on here.:rolleyes: Well worth a visit that club, decent feed for a decent price as well, right near Sutherland Railway Station.:halo:

I am a bit worried now about my Azura cruise, I thought it would be better than a Redfern RSL type of experience.

I trust Azura patrons are a little better behaved. Back in the old days I attended many a 'bloodbath brawl' at the Redfern Rissole. Hopefully cleaned up a bit now.:hearteyes:

I trust Azura patrons are a little better behaved. Back in the old days I attended many a 'bloodbath brawl' at the Redfern Rissole. Hopefully cleaned up a bit now.:hearteyes:

I certainly hope it is nothing like a blood bath on the cruise, I much prefer a champagne bath.