What's your packing must-have?

Well my general travel must-have is jumbo ziplocs, they come in handy for so many things.

On a cruise I like to take a mini bottle of dish soap so that I can clean my freestyle cup, and a tea towel to dry it off with. Might sound silly but it’s a big deal for me! I also pack a travel bottle of Lysol spray, a couple of those ‘snap to light up’ wands that you get in the dollar store, and a highlighter for the cruise compass.

- large variety of meds / first aid stuff

- small container of liquid hand soap, as I hate bar soap

- alarm clock

- over the door organizer (great to keep things easy to find and get to, even by someone outside the bathroom with the door open when someone else is inside the bathroom)

- mesh shower caddy (no knocking over mini shampoo & body wash bottles)

- pop up mesh laundry hamper to put in the closet, as it makes the best use of extra vertical closet space and makes it easy to keep all our dirty clothes organizer

- small bag/purse for things I want to keep with me while walking around the ship (small bottle of water, book to read, seapass, chapstick, meds, etc) - I like a mini drawstring backpack

- larger backpack for shore excursions

- flip flops, even if not on a beach itinerary, as they make great "slippers" in the room - like hotels, the carpet isn't very clean and I don't want to get my feet dirty then get into bed

- at least 2 pens, to fill out forms (in the cruise terminal and on the ship), write a note to the cabin steward, etc, and as they always seem to get misplaced

I don't bring that much stuff on a three week business trip to Asia

Highlighter, Multi-port USB wall charger, night light for the bathroom, air freshener., a few Lysol disinfecting wipes in a sandwich bag (I use them to wipe the remote control, phone, etc.), travel alarm clock, liquid hand soap, flushable wipes, mini flashlight, Tylenol, Aleve, Tums, Pepto Bismol or Immodium AD.

Books. I don't care for e-readers so I bring books to read and then leave on the ship or at Little Free Libraries, if available, in ports.

A sleep mask. I use one even in interior cabins for much better sleep.

Other than the above, a passport, and credit card, I travel very light.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the need for an clock, alarm clock or flashlight. Most people have smart phones, and these things are available as free apps. Another smart phone app fave of mine is my white noise app (eliminates the need for a separate sound machine for bedtime).

As for a power strip, we just bring one of those cubes that has 4 USB ports. With that, we can easily charge 2 phones and 2 tablets at once (or any combo of 4 phones/tablets/laptop/digital camera/air pods). Being able to charge 4 things at once has always been sufficient, and still leaves one outlet for use with hair dryer. If we needed both outlets temporarily (hair dryer and curling iron for example) we can easily manage a few minutes without devices being charged. If, for some reason, we were going to need more outlets than USB ports, we have another "cube" that has 3 outlets (would give us 4 total) plus 2 USB ports.

My main travel "must-have" is my coffee bag. I like my coffee the way I like it, so I have a small, clear zipper pouch that I always travel with. It holds my preferred sweetener (Trader Joe's organic raw stevia extract) which is about the size of a spice bottle, a small squeeze bottle of vanilla extract (I buy a regular bottle and transfer to a small squeeze bottle I got in the art section at Michael's), and a small shaker bottle of cinnamon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A garbage bag for dirty clothes.

Cheap blow up tubes for beaches. Labadee. U can always throw away when done.

Once u pack, take half of it out. Then take half out again. U r done. People way overpack and u do not need much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not generally for travel, but for cruising in particular - what's the cruise-ship specific thing you would not want to forget to pack? A lanyard for your seapass? Magnets for the walls? Share here to help me sail away on Sunday :D

My travel fan. :D

After you decide on your perfect packing list, create a Master Packing List, put it in a Word document, and print one out for each trip. Each list can be adjusted to meet the needs of that particular trip--land trip, cruise, etc.

This has been a lifesaver for me, especially since the old memory ain't what it used to be!

My new must have for traveling is a small, collapsible storage container that you can get at Dollar Tree. It takes up almost no space in your suitcase since it folds completely flat and can be used in so many ways. I've put in on a shelf to hold pill bottles, lanyards, room keys, toiletries etc... When I traveled with my granddaughter it was used as a "catch all" for all the little toys and junk she collected and made pick up a breeze.