Checking case of wine with luggage

CU64

Those of you who have checked cases of soda or water, it appears they have arrived safely in your cabin,

We thought of bringing 6 with carryon & assume they might charge at checkin, after 2 for cabin, which is free if drinking there. Thought might want more for 12 night.

Any of you done this? Thanks.

Those of you who have checked cases of soda or water, it appears they have arrived safely in your cabin,

We thought of bringing 6 with carryon & assume they might charge at checkin, after 2 for cabin, which is free if drinking there. Thought might want more for 12 night.

Any of you done this? Thanks.

The title of your post refers to wine, yet the text of the post refers to water/soda. So, which is it? If it's wine, Princess has a set policy regarding bringing wine on board. I'm sure you will find it on their web-site, along with policy about water/soda. Soooo check it out. Most cruise lines only allow two bottles of wine.

Princess allows 1 bottle (750 ml or smaller) of wine per adult with no charge if consumed in your cabin. If brought to the dining room, $15 corkage fee applies.

All additional bottles carried on are subject to $15 corkage fee charged when you are boarding.

Soda, water and other soft drinks may be brought on without charge and without limit.

From the Passage Contract:

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her
carry-on luggage.
A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee.
At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked.
Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any contraband or alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

It pretty clear states that wine should be carried on, not checked. Now, reading the second part that I have highlighted, I can see where, perhaps there is an opening for you to check your wine, There have been numerous reports, here on Cruise Critic, from people who have been called to the "naughty room" because of wine that has been packed in checked luggage. If you are using that as a strategy to avoid paying the corkage charge, it is not going to work. They will charge you in the "naughty room." The minus, of course, is that your bag will not be delivered to your cabin. You will have to wait for them to get around to your room and notify you. Then you have go to their facility, and, then, after paying the corkage fee, you'll still have to schlep your bag to your cabin.

I plan on carrying on a case of wine for our Los Angeles-Alaska cruise the end of April. It's just not that big a deal to carry it on.

Now, if you have to fly to the port, then I can see the annoyance. Your wine has to be checked on the aircraft. If I wanted to fly with a case of wine to a port, I would by something like a "Wine Check." It can be checked on an aircraft, and it has wheels to easily drag onto the ship.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her
carry-on luggage.
A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee.
At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked.
Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any contraband or alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

It pretty clear states that wine should be carried on, not checked. Now, reading the second part that I have highlighted, I can see where, perhaps there is an opening for you to check your wine, There have been numerous reports, here on Cruise Critic, from people who have been called to the "naughty room" because of wine that has been packed in checked luggage. If you are using that as a strategy to avoid paying the corkage charge, it is not going to work. They will charge you in the "naughty room." The minus, of course, is that your bag will not be delivered to your cabin. You will have to wait for them to get around to your room and notify you. Then you have go to their facility, and, then, after paying the corkage fee, you'll still have to schlep your bag to your cabin.

I plan on carrying on a case of wine for our Los Angeles-Alaska cruise the end of April. It's just not that big a deal to carry it on.

Now, if you have to fly to the port, then I can see the annoyance. Your wine has to be checked on the aircraft. If I wanted to fly with a case of wine to a port, I would by something like a "Wine Check." It can be checked on an aircraft, and it has wheels to easily drag onto the ship.

We know all the rules about corkage fees & are not trying to avoid. Not sure DH will want to carry a CASE onboard.

No flying or would not consider.

Assessing this or wine package; CC says often out of bottles.

Thanks for your info.

We know all the rules about corkage fees & are not trying to avoid. Not sure DH will want to carry a CASE onboard.

Thanks for your info.

Apologies for misunderstanding, CU.

I guess you know what my vote is. :D

carry-on luggage.

I'm sorry...I'm confused. It clearly states ONE 750ml bottle of wine/Champagne per person, per voyage. Wether it is in your carry on or checked bag it is only ONE bottle per person. Where is it stated you can bring on a case?

I'm sorry...I'm confused. It clearly states ONE 750ml bottle of wine/Champagne per person, per voyage. Wether it is in your carry on or checked bag it is only ONE bottle per person. Where is it stated you can bring on a case?

I certainly understand your confusion, Pam, If you read only the words in the passage contract I think most reasonable people would draw the sane conclusion

On the Princess website, under the topicr there is this under "FAQ: Onboard Experienc."

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.
Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each
, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.I
t may very well be that Princess is, for now, OK with I added the emphasis. From this it is clear that there is no limit on how much wine can be brought onboard.

Curious.

It would be nice if they used the same words both places. I hope they don't rewrite the FAQs.

I certainly understand your confusion, Pam, If you read only the words in the passage contract I think most reasonable people would draw the sane conclusion

On the Princess website, under the topicr there is this under "FAQ: Onboard Experienc."

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.
Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each
, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.I
t may very well be that Princess is, for now, OK with I added the emphasis. From this it is clear that there is no limit on how much wine can be brought onboard.

Curious.

It would be nice if they used the same words both places. I hope they don't rewrite the FAQs.

Ahhh....now I see your point. Thanks!

Thanks for your info.

We checked in a case of wine with a luggage tag on it, but it was back 2012 when we were embarking the Grand Princess. We had no issues but things have changed since then, so not sure how that would go now.

It's one bottle/pp to be enjoyed in your cabin without a corkage fee. You can bring others and pay the corkage.

We carried a case of wine onboard Royal Princess 3/20/18 packed inside a rolling suitcase. We notified the security agents that it was wine, paid the corkage on 10 bottles at liquor desk, and enjoyed our wine in the dining rooms, buffet, and cabin throughout the cruise.

We carried a case of wine onboard Royal Princess 3/20/18 packed inside a rolling suitcase. We notified the security agents that it was wine, paid the corkage on 10 bottles at liquor desk, and enjoyed our wine in the dining rooms, buffet, and cabin throughout the cruise.

Did exactly the same thing for 3/21 on the Coral....easy! Plus I had an empty suitcase to use when going home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was ready to carryon 6 wine, pay corkage at liquor desk, & get other glasses from Vines, if needed. Now I may reconsider case. Thank you all for this info. Not often we get to go on 12 day without flying 😎

I was ready to carryon 6 wine, pay corkage at liquor desk, & get other glasses from Vines, if needed. Now I may reconsider case. Thank you all for this info. Not often we get to go on 12 day without flying 😎

Room service will give you all the glasses and ice you need.

We were sailing on Grand a couple of years ago in the Med and docked at Civitavecchia. I went ashore for a stroll and ended up buying two bottles of Sambuca for next to nothing at a supermarket I passed.

These were to take home for presents so when I returned to the ship I mentioned to security I had a couple of bottles of spirit that i was happy for them to "confiscate" and I would pick them up at the end of the cruise. They weren't interested and told me to keep them in the cabin. Suffice to say only one bottle found its way home.:D

We were sailing on Grand a couple of years ago in the Med and docked at Civitavecchia. I went ashore for a stroll and ended up buying two bottles of Sambuca for next to nothing at a supermarket I passed.

These were to take home for presents so when I returned to the ship I mentioned to security I had a couple of bottles of spirit that i was happy for them to "confiscate" and I would pick them up at the end of the cruise. They weren't interested and told me to keep them in the cabin. Suffice to say only one bottle found its way home.:D

I suspected that would be the case! LOL!

Sometimes we are better off if they confiscate the wine to return it the last night

We always bring lots of really nice wine. Before boarding we go to the desk to pay corkage on all but two bottles (one each). The only avoidance doing it this way is no gratuity added to corkage.

We were given a wine only suitcase which we took on a Caribbean cruise and got a call to our cabin requiring to unlock it. So we went down and then paid corkage.

:):)

I have a friend that is kind of a wine snob and they always bring a case of expensive wine . They use this and pay the corkage fee on them.

https://www.iwawine.com/wine-check-set-black?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqYfWBRDPARIsABjQRYzHT_sq9XxApqFPr9aIBKv2_B8hNbZ1hUyfk3-cBblzG5tokZuAZtoaAuYzEALw_wcB

we have one similar but with wheels.