British Isles 2019 on Reflection

monstercookies

Greetings,

I am looking for advice from cruisers who have sailed this itinerary (RT Amsterdam, Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Edinburgh, Liverpool etc.) on how rough the seas are in this area during the Summer months. I have a choice of either a June or August sailing. I do have motion sickness, but have cruised many times, just never in the North Atlantic. Any advice appreciated.

Also, have never sailed on Reflection and am debating between a Sunset Verandah and a 1A bump out Verandah. Again, any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Cannot speak for the entire itinerary, but I have personal experience of the Irish Sea albeit on a ferry and it is rough the whole year round, infact our worst trip was in August! However I am sure it would not feel as bad on a ship.

Not in relation to a cruise ship - just ferries but both the North Sea and particularly the Irish Sea can be problematic any time of the year - but winter is most risky. My wife had a nightmare crossing about 10 years ago across the North Sea in September, she ended up in the medical centre.

Most of the horror videos on youtube (and they are horrific) tend to be in the Nov-April time (winter).

There's lots of choppy waters on this side of the Atlantic - Bay of Biscay, the English Channel and coming from the Med past Gibraltar into the Atlantic spring to mind

Edited by DYKWIA

I have read about problems with rough seas. I did 2 cruises in the British Isles and never had a rough day. One was in July 2016 from Edinburgh to Stockholm. Other was RT Southampton early August 2017. Weather was good. Mostly dry and in the 60-70s. A few hot days. Some rain in Cobh and Edinburgh. Great weather for exploring. I wore a light jacket some days. I have not been on the Reflection. Since your cruise is from Amsterdam, spend some time there. I have been in Amsterdam many times. I love that city. Enjoy!

As far as Reflection goes, you probably can't go wrong no matter what you choose... a very nice ship

Unless you sail on her in the peak summer season in the Med - not what I would call a fabulous time.

OP,

You can never tell with the British weather, but you are more likely to experience better seas during our summer months (as DYKWIA stated above). We’ve sailed in both June and July to Iceland/ Norway etc. and had good weather and seas, but our friends went the sailing prior to us and had a totally different experience - it’s the luck of the draw. Now if you’d said April, my response would have been totally different; we have had snow today and the weather is awful, dread to think what the seas would be like further up north.

Unless you sail on her in the peak summer season in the Med - not what I would call a fabulous time.

OP,

You can never tell with the British weather, but you are more likely to experience better seas during our summer months (as DYKWIA stated above). We’ve sailed in both June and July to Iceland/ Norway etc. and had good weather and seas, but our friends went the sailing prior to us and had a totally different experience - it’s the luck of the draw. Now if you’d said April, my response would have been totally different; we have had snow today and the weather is awful, dread to think what the seas would be like further up north.

Agree you can never tell with the British weather, We were lucky to have calm seas and good weather to Iceland in July (this was on Infinity?)

We also had calm seas on Silhouette British Isles cruise in July last year though we missed Guernsey as unable to tender due to heavy swell. I have also heard of problems tendering in Edinburgh but this does seem to be exceptional rather than to be expected.

Perceived wisdom is be mid ships and a lower deck if prone to sea sickness.

I have sailed the North Seas on two different itineraries and was apprehensive about the possibility of seasickness.

One itinerary left from Amsterdam and sailed to Tilbury. We had some motion going from the Faroe Islands to Iceland, but just for one evening.

We also did an itinerary which included Dublin, Waterford, Greenock (Scotland), the Shetlands...we had choppy seas on the tenders in Waterford (Dunmore East) but that is all. Both cruises were in July and we loved them.

We've felt some movement before when in the channel, but it was very gentle. You would have to have been very sensitive to sea sickness for it to have bothered you -- at least, when on a ship the size of a cruise ship. As others have noted, sometimes the tenders have a difficult time (for ports such as Guernsey).