Warning..traveling with grandchildren and documentarion

IDKaren

According to Carnival webpage..we were traveling with grandchild without parents we needed original letter of consent from parents and a birth certificate..nothing about notarized letter or original birth certificate.

We got a notarized letter and copy of birth certificate. Debarked..went thru homeland security..they questioned Idaho notary stamp that ANYONE could have written letter and said they needed ORIGINAL certificate. They kept us there questioning us for at least 15-20 mins..not pleasant,and scared my granddaughter badly. He kept telling me “obviously you have not done your homework”. Finally after a big lecture let us thru.

We thought we had it covered."just a heads up to really research it if you are traveling with a grandchild or child without their parents! Airport and embarking was fine with what we had.

You probably ran into an undertrained Immigration officer. You are always entitled to ask to speak with a supervisor. For others who may be in a similar situation in the future, it's a good idea to carry a copy of the CBP rules to show recalcitrant CBP staff just to establish your intentions and your compliance with the legal requirements.

See https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/minor%20child%20travel/session/L3RpbWUvMTUyMjYxOTMxMi9zaWQvbmk4Sms2Sm4%3D

I'm surprised you got hassled coming back into the US, since I thought the main purpose of the parental letter of consent was to prevent an unauthorized person from taking a minor OUT of the country. It does seem that you were unlucky enough to get a poorly trained staff member who was having a bad day. Your warning to others is very valid - make sure to have exactly what the written CBP rules say you need.

I’m surprised we were hassled too! When embarking Carnival asked for NO paperwork..I could have taken her to Mexico and been gone! The airlines both ways never asked for ANY paperwork on her or us. It seems I had exactly what we needed....he didn’t even believe it was a REAL notary seal on the letter that her parents had made the time to do...went on his computer to supposedly check the person out. I would have liked to question him...but like the power hungry TSA you don’t want them to get a bigger bug up their butt! I will be better educated next time!

As I said in your other post you should file a letter of complaint with the CBP Port Director. This is unacceptable on many levels.

I am thinking about doing that..thank you for the suggestion! My only fear that as power hungry as border patrol and TSA can be they will probably put me on one of their LISTS and I may never be let in the country next time!:mad::(

I am thinking about doing that..thank you for the suggestion! My only fear that as power hungry as border patrol and TSA can be they will probably put me on one of their LISTS and I may never be let in the country next time!:mad::(

You could also copy your US Representative/Senator on the letter so if something does happen (which is unlikely but your concern is understandable) you'll have a paper trail (and by including them in the correspondence you make it more likely that your complaint would actually be listened to).

The problem with the BC may have been that it was not issued by the state or local government. BCs issued by the hospital are not acceptable as proof of citizenship.

Yes, the parental letter is for leaving the US. The BC is for coming back.

And as the CBP link posted above, you might not be asked for anything, or you might be asked for everything.

Having it and not needing it, is not a problem. Needing it and not having it, is a BIG problem.

The problem with the BC may have been that it was not issued by the state or local government. BCs issued by the hospital are not acceptable as proof of citizenship.

Yes, the parental letter is for leaving the US. The BC is for coming back.

And as the CBP link posted above, you might not be asked for anything, or you might be asked for everything.

Having it and not needing it, is not a problem. Needing it and not having it, is a BIG problem.

If that were the case than CCL screwed up big time by allowing them to board in the first place. The CBP officer took exception with the fact that it was a copy, not with who issued it.