Most consistent early time you've seen Princess allow guest to disembark after cruis?

Team M&M

My last cruise with Princess - our itinerary showed debarkation starting at 7 AM, however, shortly after six, they started to allow walk offs off.

Curious (I've never paid attention) if others are finding that?

I asked on Tripadvisor and two others said, 6:15 and 6:30 for their most recent cruises.

We have a flight time that has changed slightly the day we leave and we are traveling light with carry on only, so will get off with the first guests - hoping for that to be earlier than seven so we can just have a bit more breathing space to get to the airport in time.

We should still make our flight home if we leave at 7 AM, it would just be nicer to have more than one hour to get through security (leave Southampton and need to get to our gate at Gatwick right around 11.) We will have checked in online the day prior and will not have to stop to drop bags - just get through Security and to our gate (and if they have trusted traveler or Nexus, we will get through even quicker)

Well now that I got to the very end of your post and found out which port you were asking about...

In Southampton some ships list arrival at 5 AM Some at 7 AM. So some of the responses you found may have been from ships with an earlier scheduled arrival time than your upcoming cruise.

But note the recommended times in the Princess flight guidelines:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel.jsp

Disembarking Passengers

For voyages arriving in Southampton at 5:00 am, the earliest flight departure from Heathrow is 12:00 pm, the earliest flight departure from Gatwick is 12:30 pm, and the earliest train departure from Victora Coach Station is 11:30 am.

For voyages arriving in Southampton at 7:00 am, the earliest flight departure from Heathrow is 2:00 pm, the earliest flight departure from Gatwick is 2:30 pm and the earliest train departure from Victoria Coach Station is 1:00 pm.

While your flight appears to be well outside Princess' recommended time frame, if you are doing express walk off there should be minimal to no customs and immigration procedures to delay you. Were you planning to reserve a private car in advance--that would be the quickest route. NEXUS and the other Trusted Traveler programs have no use outside North America so you will be queueing up for security will everyone else.

We should still make our flight home if we leave at 7 AM, it would just be nicer to have more than one hour to get through security (leave Southampton and need to get to our gate at Gatwick right around 11.) We will have checked in online the day prior and will not have to stop to drop bags - just get through Security and to our gate (and if they have trusted traveler or Nexus, we will get through even quicker)

See you are from Canada. I know that here in the U.S. in order to check in on line you have to have your passport registered with the airline. I would check on this. We were required to scan our passports at the airport before we were able to receive our boarding passes. I would research how many hours early you have to arrive at the airport. I know Heathrow is 3 hours. I have no experience with Gatwick.

Thank you, we are taking a train from Southampton central (about ten min taxi ride from port) we are going back on a Saturday, so should not be traffic or full trains to worry about.

We have pre bought our train tickets for the 7:13 AM direct train to Gatwick (and if we miss that train, we are able, with our tickets, to get on any other trains that day, so will just take a later one.)

Our Passport is already entered with the airline and if we do not stop at the checkin counter to show our passports to them, they will check at the gate.

The more I have asked questions about this, the better I am feeling. Optimal timing? nope, but I think we will be ok. and if not, they will put us on the next available flight (so long as we arrive at the airport within 2 hrs of our originally scheduled flight, which is now leaving at 11 AM)

Next trip, I will allow us an extra day to travel home :)

Totally agree with Doug. You're really banking on everything going perfectly well. The earliest I've seen people disembarking at Southampton has been at 6:30am for a 5am arrival and those were the walk-offs, carrying their own luggage. One time, the wind was too strong and we had to change arrival terminals at the port at the very last minute. You can imagine the chaos that created and the delays too. Wishing you good luck though.

• Like 1

I think you're being very optimistic but good luck and I hope you make your flight. That timing would really scare me, it wouldn't take much of a delay to cause problems.

I totally agree with you. All I have to say is Good Luck!!

Tony

• Like 1

My last cruise with Princess - our itinerary showed debarkation starting at 7 AM, however, shortly after six, they started to allow walk offs off.

I asked on Tripadvisor and two others said, 6:15 and 6:30 for their most recent cruises.

We have a flight time that has changed slightly the day we leave and we are traveling light with carry on only, so will get off with the first guests - hoping for that to be earlier than seven so we can just have a bit more breathing space to get to the airport in time.

If the airline changed your departure time after you purchased the ticket, you can call and they should put you on a different flight without penalty.

I agree with the posts that suggest that the early flight schedule is a bit ambitious. Not a familiar with the Southampton disembarkation as those in FL, but the earliest we have walked off was around 7 and that's because there weren't any delays due to Coast Guard inspections or immigration issues.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Please update us with your experience. I am curious about walk off time as well and how long to get from Southampton to Heathrow on a Saturday. THANKS!

On a cruise returning to Southampton a few years ago we awoke to an announcement that the ship due to wind and weather conditions was going to tie up at a pier Princess had never used before. It did not have their luggage off loading equipment and apparently weren’t expecting us there. The Captain announced that the luggage would have to be off loaded by hand and because no officials or transportation present the entire disembarking process would be delayed a few hours. This was about 630. First passengers carrying own luggage were allowed off (me) at about 815. I was in no particular rush since flight wasn’t until 1pm. When I got off(I think I was first) the weather was indeed horrible and Chaos reigned. I was directed to a bus for Heathrow which dropped us all at the wrong terminal. We tried to explain that our tickets were for another terminal but the driver said he had been instructed to go to that terminal. All ended well but I believe an extra ride on the tube was necessary to get to the other terminal. The moral of the story is it is possible for things to go wrong. I am sure you know this. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Walk offs are allowed as soon as the ship has been cleared by the Customs/Border Control/whatever name is used in each country. This process is usually rather quick so walk offs start within an hour of docking. HOWEVER, we've had some serious delays caused by the Customs people. It varies. It isn't worth booking something that is going to stress you.

• 8 months later...

Late to the party but just off the Crown Princess British Isles Cruise on May 25, 2019 and we could walk off between 6 am and 6:30 am if we handled on our own luggage. 

We were able to get in one of the first independent transportation groups and disembarked at 6:55 am and were out of the terminal by 7 am.  Easiest disembarkation ever.  Took longer to go down the ramp than to find our luggage and walk out the door. 

On 4/1/2018 at 10:57 PM, Team M&M said:

This is probably going to vary from port to port. At Seattle, the ships normally dock about 6am, but the start time for disembarkation isn't going to occur prior to 7-7:15am. Two things that are going to affect when it can start are when the gangway actually gets connected to the ship and when C&BP is ready to start processing passengers. While both definitely have to be ready to go before disembarkation can begin, the latter (C&BP) is beyond the control of the ship for all practical purposes.

Tom

On 8/29/2018 at 11:40 AM, bobby3334 said:

On a cruise returning to Southampton a few years ago we awoke to an announcement that the ship due to wind and weather conditions was going to tie up at a pier Princess had never used before. It did not have their luggage off loading equipment and apparently weren’t expecting us there. The Captain announced that the luggage would have to be off loaded by hand and because no officials or transportation present the entire disembarking process would be delayed a few hours. This was about 630. First passengers carrying own luggage were allowed off (me) at about 815. I was in no particular rush since flight wasn’t until 1pm. When I got off(I think I was first) the weather was indeed horrible and Chaos reigned... Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is exactly what happened to me once!  You just never know what can be thrown your way that could delay you getting off the ship.  Another time, it was the customs officials' computer system that was down (not in SoTon though) and yet another time, the customs officials were taking their time eating their free cruiseline breakfast.